LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member becks bolero's Avatar

Re: NOCD: 67 Marhall Straight Cab!

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    As nicely as you’re asking, how could they refuse?
    heh, yes I was just trying to get a response & break up the pissing contest

so the 4x12 straight's also had the strip along the bottom? good to know

thx everyone
    "First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really." -Neil Young

Quote Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
    so the 4x12 straight's also had the strip along the bottom?
    Yes, when they began to fit casters mid '67. The batten was added to make up enough thickness to support the caster sockets. The corner triangles in '69 - early '70 cabs served the same purpose.

FWIW, the earliest basketweave cab I've come across had May '68 speakers.

Les Paul Forum Member becks bolero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Yes, when they began to fit casters mid '67. The batten was added to make up enough thickness to support the caster sockets. The corner triangles in '69 - early '70 cabs served the same purpose.

FWIW, the earliest basketweave cab I've come across had May '68 speakers.
    more great info, thanks!

"First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really." -Neil Young

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScumbackSpeakers View Post
    As for a cab with Oct/November 67 speaker date codes leaving the factory a full quarter later, I doubt that. While Marshall was moving some amps, I would surmise that they didn't have a 3-4 month backlog of orders then.
    Going back to this, I'm going to disagree with you again.

It's quite common for the 10's (7442's) to have gold Silverdale Rd stickers on the back long after Marshall left the Silverdale Rd factory. I've seen these drivers used in late pinstripe era amps, and very early basketweave amps, i.e. early to mid-Q2 1968, despite Marshall having moved out of Silverdale Rd in June 1966. I think it's more likely that Marshall stickered a large stock of speakers when they put them into inventory rather than make the concious decision to use labels with the wrong address that's two years out of date.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member ScumbackSpeakers's Avatar

F-Hole: Maybe with the 10's, but I'm sure they were moving a lot more 12 inch speakers than 10's. I sold so few 10's in my business that I finally discontinued them. I imagine this is the same thing that happened with Marshall.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

F-Hole: Maybe with the 10's, but I'm sure they were moving a lot more 12 inch speakers than 10's. I sold so few 10's in my business that I finally discontinued them. I imagine this is the same thing that happened with Marshall.

Maybe time to Re-Up??? I think Marshall has a new budget friendly combo with 10"s that may sell like hot cakes. I have a Scumnico in my old '65 Princeton Reverb (has a baffle swap) and it's 100% my favorite speaker in that amp against a hoarder's pile of new & old 12"s (including real C12N, P12N, etc) I've got around the house. The same can be said for my Artisan Blackstar 30 to which it went from a one trick pony to a warmer/fatter voice. After acquiring a Tuxedo Princeton I checked the site for 10's of any model and saw the note about discontinuation!!

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    Maybe time to Re-Up??? I think Marshall has a new budget friendly combo with 10"s that may sell like hot cakes. I have a Scumnico in my old '65 Princeton Reverb (has a baffle swap) and it's 100% my favorite speaker in that amp against a hoarder's pile of new & old 12"s (including real C12N, P12N, etc) I've got around the house. The same can be said for my Artisan Blackstar 30 to which it went from a one trick pony to a warmer/fatter voice. After acquiring a Tuxedo Princeton I checked the site for 10's of any model and saw the note about discontinuation!!
    The problem is that my supplier wants a minimum order of 200 frames per model. I had three 10" speaker types, and that's 600 speaker frames, or roughly 8 pallets. I've got room for 18 pallets in my storage unit. Since I only sold about 30-40 10" speakers per year, that was 15 years of inventory to pay storage fees on.

It just didn't make sense to offer them anymore with all the parts/frames/voice coils/cones, etc needed for a pretty low selling product.

I actually got a WGS speaker for my old Gibsonette combo recently that worked well in it. I'd suggest you look at some of their offerings.

Les Paul Forum Member

It's possible, but not at a ratio that would explain a 2+ year inventory of 10's.....they were used in lots of amps.

Besides, fashions change, and what you've sold reflects recent fads rather than what was going on in the 60's.

Les Paul Forum Member

I actually got a WGS speaker for my old Gibsonette combo recently that worked well in it. I'd suggest you look at some of their offerings.
    Original 7442s come up pretty regularly, and they're a very nice driver. Last quad I bought (gold logo) were around $70 each. Probably cheaper than newly made.

7442's are ok, I prefer the 9384 10" myself. It actually has the green plastic cover on it, too.

I got four of the current Greenback 10's here...they're dark, nothing like the ones from the 60's.

Les Paul Forum Member cincyguitar's Avatar

@F-hole....I am loving that Marshall cab you have..just like the 72 checkerboard I used to have...and blew up twice...

Les Paul Forum Member

Very informative thread and thx for posting pics of these old cabs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12