• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABR1 & tailpiece - strange modifications?

ta6rma

Hi, I just acquired a '68 LP goldtop, changing strings I had a look at the bridge as it seemed to have sagged.
Once it was off I could see it had definitely sagged, however it looks like the base has been filed right down and the bass side mount is filed thinner than the treble side.
Also the tailpiece has been ground out underneath the post slots.
I've ordered some repro parts to replace them but just wondered if anyone has seen anything like this before, and what the reason could be? I've heard of filed bridges on guitars with shallow neck angles, but the bridge on this one sits quite high.
Thanks, Rich

37832012655_7e4546d5d7_c.jpg

24846585438_05f74eaffc_c.jpg

38002225364_ab6e4a902f_c.jpg

Zentar

The bridge doesn't matter. Look at the radius of the saddles. That looks proper.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Bridges can be straitened too. That one may have been on another guitar for a while too.

ta6rma

The bridge doesn't matter. Look at the radius of the saddles. That looks proper.
yes the guitar actually plays pretty well with quite a low action, however the bass side thumbwheel is being forced at an angle due to the way the bridge bends up at the ends, think I'm better off with a new bridge

Last edited:

ta6rma

Bridges can be straitened too. That one may have been on another guitar for a while too.
Yeah all I can think is that the bridge has come from another guitar with a really shallow neck angle. Still no idea about the tailpiece however!

Zentar

I would take this to a luthier. This may be a little tricky but not expensive. A luthier will know what to do but also what not to do.

F-Hole

Two pieces of wood, placed either side of the bridge, then into a vice. Slowly increase pressure until it's straight. Leave for a few days to settle, then it'll be good.

Jumping@Shadows

Personally, if I’d paid the premium you did from David Pym for such a clean and original guitar, I’d want him to replace the parts with correct ones- the ground down bridge goes beyond any fairly typical sagging issue, and I think the tailpiece has been Dremel sanded to fit narrower spaced studs. I think I have a ‘60s chrome PAT No bridge, but those short seam chrome featherweight stoptails (in fact NOS ‘50s plated chrome), are not easy to find and pricey..

J.D.

That bridge body is a hot mess and IMHO is not salvageable. It will sag again after straightening.

I'd question what is wrong with the guitar to warrant this bridge modification before simply replacing it.

ta6rma

Personally, if I’d paid the premium you did from David Pym for such a clean and original guitar, I’d want him to replace the parts with correct ones- the ground down bridge goes beyond any fairly typical sagging issue, and I think the tailpiece has been Dremel sanded to fit narrower spaced studs. I think I have a ‘60s chrome PAT No bridge, but those short seam chrome featherweight stoptails (in fact NOS ‘50s plated chrome), are not easy to find and pricey..
I've had another good look at the tailpiece. The inside of the slots looks to be untouched, the chrome plating seems intact, the dimensions are the same as my 2013 R9 and '63 335.
Perhaps the grinding on the underneath is to make it sit lower on the stud posts? :hmm

ta6rma

That bridge body is a hot mess and IMHO is not salvageable. It will sag again after straightening.

I'd question what is wrong with the guitar to warrant this bridge modification before simply replacing it.
The guitar plays great, neck is straight, nice low action. The bridge doesn't sit low so I am starting to suspect this bridge has come from another guitar...

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
that bridge is all screwed up. The nylon saddles were used on 1968 guitars, so keep those, just get a new/old ABR body. They are easy to straighten with an arbor press, and if you raise the tailpiece a bit, it won't sag again for a long time. I've straitened tons of these.

ta6rma

that bridge is all screwed up. The nylon saddles were used on 1968 guitars, so keep those, just get a new/old ABR body. They are easy to straighten with an arbor press, and if you raise the tailpiece a bit, it won't sag again for a long time. I've straitened tons of these.
Good advice, thanks, I've ordered a late 60s ABR bridge body, $45 from Vintage Correct Parts, will use the existing saddles.
I might have a try at straightening the collapsed bridge later.