• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - Early 69 Les Paul GT

ta6rma

Beautiful guitar, I just checked out all of your pics! So what's the tone like on this one? What are you plugging it into?
Thanks! The tone is awesome, just the perfect P90 tone IMHO - gutsy, big and ballsy. I have a vintage '65 blackface twin that's just too heavy to lug around so I mostly play through a Fender Supersonic 60
8085765450_d62dda04fa.jpg

Gold+Guitars

Hi All. New to the forum here. May I ask why this is considered an early 69 LP? The cavity routing, headstock size and logo, pots, etc. all point towards a 68 LP Standard. I ask because I just purchased a 68 LP Standard with all the same features. Thanks!

ta6rma

Hi All. New to the forum here. May I ask why this is considered an early 69 LP? The cavity routing, headstock size and logo, pots, etc. all point towards a 68 LP Standard. I ask because I just purchased a 68 LP Standard with all the same features. Thanks!
The serial number suggests early 69 - however a previous owner obtained confirmation from Gibson that this one was shipped very late in 68.
The 68 features carried through into mid 69 I think, there is a lot of info on http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/

Billy Porter

Yes it's incredibly clean, maybe it spent most of its life in a good climate, if that might make a difference?

Agree 100%. The UK seems to be a good climate for guitars. You have look really hard to see any checking on my 73 LPC which has spent years being in and out it’s ‘warm’ case into cold rehearsals rooms and gigs, left in the car boot overnight at sub-zero temps etc. I don’t mollycoddle it at home either.

Lovely guitar and nice to see it local. Too many were converted or buggered about with over the years

El Gringo

Thanks! The tone is awesome, just the perfect P90 tone IMHO - gutsy, big and ballsy. I have a vintage '65 blackface twin that's just too heavy to lug around so I mostly play through a Fender Supersonic 60
8085765450_d62dda04fa.jpg
My compliments on the perfect combo. I bet you sure get some nice tone with that rig ?

Reno_1ted

What a fantastic guitar!! Congrats and welcome to the LSLP club! Glad to see this one in the UK!

This is really very clean indeed, amazing. Killer amp too!

I owned an all original very early 69, loved it! Small headstock, but one of the first to have no dotted I. I changed out the P90s for '56 ones, that was personal preference and easy to swop back. For the money, I am not sure these 68 specs can be beaten. I still have my 68/57 conversion which is very close to yours - 531053.

If interested, here is the shipping page I have with my guitar on. Yours is not on this page, interestingly it skips around a bit! But its close and shows will almost certainly have been built in 68 and shipped late 68 or at a push Jan 69 :) Mine shipped 3rd Jan 69.

Play in good health!

Last edited:

ta6rma

What a fantastic guitar!! Congrats and welcome to the LSLP club! Glad to see this one in the UK!

This is really very clean indeed, amazing. Killer amp too!

I owned an all original very early 69, loved it! Small headstock, but one of the first to have no dotted I. I changed out the P90s for '56 ones, that was personal preference and easy to swop back. For the money, I am not sure these 68 specs can be beaten. I still have my 68/57 conversion which is very close to yours - 531053.

If interested, here is the shipping page I have with my guitar on. Yours is not on this page, interestingly it skips around a bit! But its close and shows will almost certainly have been built in 68 and shipped late 68 or at a push Jan 69 :) Mine shipped 3rd Jan 69.

Play in good health!

Thanks! It's a fantastic guitar and I absolutely love it.
I can't see the shipping image (bloody photobucket) :dang
The guitar was previously owned by a member of this forum, and according to him it was shipped very late 68, confirmed by Gibson
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/quick-reply-needed-1969-gt-value.161840/page-4#post-3146599

All the best, Rich

Reno_1ted

Thanks! It's a fantastic guitar and I absolutely love it.
I can't see the shipping image (bloody photobucket) :dang
The guitar was previously owned by a member of this forum, and according to him it was shipped very late 68, confirmed by Gibson
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/quick-reply-needed-1969-gt-value.161840/page-4#post-3146599

All the best, Rich

Not sure whats happened to photobucket these days!

As you are UK based, DM me your mobile number and i will text/whatsapp you the image. :)

Kris Ford

Nice!

I'd bet mine and everyone I care about's lives that MANY of these were sold as '68s at a premium..:rolleyes

lhric

Nice!

I'd bet mine and everyone I care about's lives that MANY of these were sold as '68s at a premium..:rolleyes

Even though a good portion of these was shipped first quarter of 69. They are of the same body construction as the early 68s were. I have a 68 gold top with serial number beginning 529xxx that shipped 1/14/1969. But I’ve looked the shipping ledger with a whole slew of 531 and 530 guitars go out before mine did.

Reno_1ted

Nice!

HA!

I think unlike the SGs, generally the value is in the spec rather than the year. If one was sold as a 68 but shipped in early 69 with small headstock, dotted i etc, no biggie. :) Theres a bit more info about these than SGs thanks to Moonweasel.

Maybe you should set up "60s/70s SGs .com" :salude

Kris Ford

HA!

I think unlike the SGs, generally the value is in the spec rather than the year. If one was sold as a 68 but shipped in early 69 with small headstock, dotted i etc, no biggie. :) Theres a bit more info about these than SGs thanks to Moonweasel.

Maybe you should set up "60s/70s SGs .com" :salude

I have thought about that LOL:spabout