• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Did anyone see the new Mick Ronson documentary?

thin sissy

I saw it last night. Very interesting as I'm a huge fan of Ronno. It was also very moving and it left me sad, especially near the ending when his friends and family talked about his passing. Ian Hunter, who seems like a cool and great guy who doesn't really cry, seemed to choke up when he mentioned Ronno calling him and saying he had cancer.

I don't really know if I have a question or anything with this thread. But it seems like Ronno has gotten more of the recognition he deserves during the internet era, too bad he isn't around to witness it. The same applies to Rory Gallagher I think.

Also, I can't understand why his solo albums didn't sell, they are so great. And they sound "modern" to me for 70's albums (though I wasn't around at the time, so what do I know?).

Anyways, he was great and I'm glad he finally got a real documentary made for him :)

Billy Porter

Not yet (Xmas pressie idea). I watched the Sky Arts programme 'Passions' recently with Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet talking about his passion for Ronson.

Well worth watching especially towards the end where he gets to play Ronno's iconic Les Paul (now in a private collection in Monaco). Gary was overcome getting a chance to play it. He played Ziggy Stardust the Ronsson way, D Chord at 5th fret rather than at 2nd. Ronson had a huge influence in the UK and why I took up playing. Worth catching if you can

Jon Brook

I saw it last night. Very interesting as I'm a huge fan of Ronno. It was also very moving and it left me sad, especially near the ending when his friends and family talked about his passing. Ian Hunter, who seems like a cool and great guy who doesn't really cry, seemed to choke up when he mentioned Ronno calling him and saying he had cancer.

I don't really know if I have a question or anything with this thread. But it seems like Ronno has gotten more of the recognition he deserves during the internet era, too bad he isn't around to witness it. The same applies to Rory Gallagher I think.

Also, I can't understand why his solo albums didn't sell, they are so great. And they sound "modern" to me for 70's albums (though I wasn't around at the time, so what do I know?).

Anyways, he was great and I'm glad he finally got a real documentary made for him :)

Whats the title of this documentary please?

thin sissy

Thanks for the info Billy Porter, I'll definitely try to hunt that down!

Jon Brook: it's called "Beside Bowie, the Mick Ronson story" :)

Jon Brook

wow ..that was brilliant..didn't know Jean Genie opening riff was based on a Muddy Waters riff

Jon Brook

Going back to the Gary Kemp Documentary.. what does the writing say on the front of Rono's LP?

thin sissy

Jon: I hope you enjoyed watching the docs!

I just watched the Kemp doc, and it was probably even better from a guitarists perspective. I didn't see what the writing on Ronnos LP said I'm afraid. If I'm not mistaken, one could spot a repaired headstock break on the guitar as well?

It was great seeing the passion for one of the unsung heroes of rock history beeing sung though.

Pellman73

wow that was fascinating. Just watched it. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1) I would have liked to hear more guitar. I"m not sure you really heard any of his playing.

2) Cleary Randy Rhoads was a fan. They look like absolute dopplegangers so much that it is really eerie. The feathered do and Down to that Custom (mick's looked natural randy's was white but close enough) . and man he looked GOOD playing guitar. there is one part where he kind of does that thing where he shoots the crowd with the guitar and does a whole thing. Just looks badass

3) Some of the production stuff is really mind blowing. the fact that he taught himself how to score and arrange strings? that's crazy. I always thought Life on Mars was an incredible song. But then throw in freaking Take a Walk on the Wild Side (string arrangements) and Jack and Diane? All seem to have that big wall of sound thing don't they? To me this is where his great talent was and he was such an unbelievably egoless guy that he didn't know it himself. He probably could/should have been one of the greatest record producers ever.

which brings me to the last thing-- you can just see he was TOO NICE. He got completely used up and screwed over by Bowie and to be honest it makes me think less of Bowie. They could have figured out a way to give the guy just a little bit of the proceeds of those records but it seems like he just didn't have the wherewithal to stand up for himself and get his just desserts. A great lesson in life that if you let people walk all over you they will.

The record business is just really disgusting the way artists have been used up and preyed upon for years. At least now nobody is making any money!

Jon Brook

I am an SRV fan and Bowie screwed him over as well promising him he could open up for him with Double Trouble then telling him at the last minute that he 'owned ' him for the next 2 years.

thin sissy

wow that was fascinating. Just watched it. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1) I would have liked to hear more guitar. I"m not sure you really heard any of his playing.

2) Cleary Randy Rhoads was a fan. They look like absolute dopplegangers so much that it is really eerie. The feathered do and Down to that Custom (mick's looked natural randy's was white but close enough) . and man he looked GOOD playing guitar. there is one part where he kind of does that thing where he shoots the crowd with the guitar and does a whole thing. Just looks badass

3) Some of the production stuff is really mind blowing. the fact that he taught himself how to score and arrange strings? that's crazy. I always thought Life on Mars was an incredible song. But then throw in freaking Take a Walk on the Wild Side (string arrangements) and Jack and Diane? All seem to have that big wall of sound thing don't they? To me this is where his great talent was and he was such an unbelievably egoless guy that he didn't know it himself. He probably could/should have been one of the greatest record producers ever.

which brings me to the last thing-- you can just see he was TOO NICE. He got completely used up and screwed over by Bowie and to be honest it makes me think less of Bowie. They could have figured out a way to give the guy just a little bit of the proceeds of those records but it seems like he just didn't have the wherewithal to stand up for himself and get his just desserts. A great lesson in life that if you let people walk all over you they will.

The record business is just really disgusting the way artists have been used up and preyed upon for years. At least now nobody is making any money!
Thanks for your input! I agree with it all.

1) Yes, it didn't seem that focused on his actual songs but more on his life, although some of his solo stuff was played in the background at various times (not always in a "periodically correct" way, but that's fine).

2) Yeah, definitely! Just a really cool and confident stage prescense. Quite a contrast to his laid back private personality. BTW I actually first noticed Randy Rhoads when I saw a pic one day and thought "Hey, he is probably a Ronno fan!".

3) Yup, it's crazy. It seems like everyone who used him as a producer/arranger enjoyed the experience and the results speak for themselves. In fact, I've never been able to fins a bad thing written or said about him anywhere. A good thing of course, but you have a point with the "too nice" thing. With a bigger ego and aggressivness he would definitely have died a rich man. Regarding Bowie, it is problematic. I'm a Bowie fan, but yeah, these things make me think less of him too. The truly big music stars are probably almost always that way.

Pellman73

Thanks for your input! I agree with it all.

1) Yes, it didn't seem that focused on his actual songs but more on his life, although some of his solo stuff was played in the background at various times (not always in a "periodically correct" way, but that's fine).

2) Yeah, definitely! Just a really cool and confident stage prescense. Quite a contrast to his laid back private personality. BTW I actually first noticed Randy Rhoads when I saw a pic one day and thought "Hey, he is probably a Ronno fan!".

3) Yup, it's crazy. It seems like everyone who used him as a producer/arranger enjoyed the experience and the results speak for themselves. In fact, I've never been able to fins a bad thing written or said about him anywhere. A good thing of course, but you have a point with the "too nice" thing. With a bigger ego and aggressivness he would definitely have died a rich man. Regarding Bowie, it is problematic. I'm a Bowie fan, but yeah, these things make me think less of him too. The truly big music stars are probably almost always that way.

:salude