• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2013 Les Paul Traditional - Lollar Low Wind Imperials

Andrew

Not sure if anyone has gone the low wind pickup route for their LP.
I did it because I thought it would have more high end. I was mistaken. My LP is still very dark.
What is your experience with switching out pups?

Bear R

That's some real good playin' man..good Job..anyway, they say that switching out the stock saddles to Titanium saddles will brighten up a dark sounding guitar..Dont know about pups though..but Im sure some can..

anyway Good Job..!!..

Big Al

Get a Tele.

I use lot's of "underwound" pickups. My favorites are close match Antiquity neck pups. 7.3-7.7k. I put a pair, 7.32 & 7.33 Zebras in my son's Stanard 80 that he swears by. So, IMO, you made a move. Listening, I'd say a smart move.

Listen to an old man. Pickups don't change a guitars voice. They can't brighten up a dull guitar or alter the primary tone. Compare a dozen different paf winds in the same guitar and it becomes apparent how subtle and nuanced the tonal/frequency difference is.

I find dynamic range, headroom and compression are the factors that stand apart to a greater degree between various passive pickups of similar type, ie; paf. I think your pickups sound fine too me. Plenty of bite and articulation. No wooly flub or overly dark tone, IMO.

Not sure what "All knobs at 11:00", means, but not a good way to set an amp, imo. Every amp has that spot, every tube amp, where it works best with a particular guitar and rarely with all knobs set the same, though judging by your clip it may be for you as I thought it sounded fine. Of course you can effect tone to a much greater degree and range with amp controls than any pickup.

If that is too dark then get a Tele.

Andrew

Get a Tele.

I use lot's of "underwound" pickups. My favorites are close match Antiquity neck pups. 7.3-7.7k. I put a pair, 7.32 & 7.33 Zebras in my son's Stanard 80 that he swears by. So, IMO, you made a move. Listening, I'd say a smart move.

Listen to an old man. Pickups don't change a guitars voice. They can't brighten up a dull guitar or alter the primary tone. Compare a dozen different paf winds in the same guitar and it becomes apparent how subtle and nuanced the tonal/frequency difference is.

I find dynamic range, headroom and compression are the factors that stand apart to a greater degree between various passive pickups of similar type, ie; paf. I think your pickups sound fine too me. Plenty of bite and articulation. No wooly flub or overly dark tone, IMO.

Not sure what "All knobs at 11:00", means, but not a good way to set an amp, imo. Every amp has that spot, every tube amp, where it works best with a particular guitar and rarely with all knobs set the same, though judging by your clip it may be for you as I thought it sounded fine. Of course you can effect tone to a much greater degree and range with amp controls than any pickup.

If that is too dark then get a Tele.

Thanks Al,
The "knobs at 1:00" refers to the tubescreamer.

The amp is a fender that I actually scooped the mids in order to be used with the tubesreamer. Normally I'd like to crank the amp but not in that little spare bedroom. Never found a pedal that can be used with guitars volume and tone pots like the TS.
Still trying to find that magic flat EQ pedal that works dynamically.

I am a tele player! In fact I have 2! I'm not sure how you are able to tell that a Tele suits my style.:hmm You are either a very wise old man or spend too much time on this forum. Perhaps both

Big Al

Thanks Al,
The "knobs at 1:00" refers to the tubescreamer.

The amp is a fender that I actually scooped the mids in order to be used with the tubesreamer. Normally I'd like to crank the amp but not in that little spare bedroom. Never found a pedal that can be used with guitars volume and tone pots like the TS.
Still trying to find that magic flat EQ pedal that works dynamically.

I am a tele player! In fact I have 2! I'm not sure how you are able to tell that a Tele suits my style.:hmm You are either a very wise old man or spend too much time on this forum. Perhaps both

I love Tube Screamers and have used them from the moment they appeared! I think I have almost every version. Fender Amps rule. When I use a BF Fender w/ LP I crank it up to the sweet spot, between 4-8 usually, Treble near 7-8, Bass 0-to the first spot that you hear it "come on", no more as Fenders have huge low end. If there is a Middle it's at least on 5 and depending upon the upper mids, all the way up.

I set the Level on the Tube Screamer all the up and Tone around 11:00 and Drive off at minimum. If I use lower volume on the amp I will bump up the Drive to make up gain.
Lately I've grown very fond of the Electro Harmonix Soul Food. Best $70 you'll ever spend!!

I was goofin' about the Tele, but I have several in my arsenal and I have not been without one for over 40 years.