• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

question for Joe B

Matt58

All Access/Backstage Pass
Right so .. on my 2 channel 66 BF i need to set both om them the same even when using just the one?

Not necessarily....experiment to see what sounds best to you. I have found with my tweeds that what sounds awesome when you are playing alone doesn't always sound great in the band mix. In the mix they seem to do better with a bit more high end than when playin alone...ymmv

Doc Sausage

Long story why I can’t get to my Fender amp but in my office I have a Peavy Classic 30 to mess around on. Joe’s advice/settings above really worked well on even that little thIng. But maybe it’s just more hearing, ok, reading someone like him say it that made me ‘trust’ what I was hearing. Thanks, Mr B!

Since you are so gracious to answer our questions, please give this some thought in all your spare time. Ha! I’ve never understood how turning the volume up (way up) on an amp and ‘controlling it with the guitar’s volume’ works, when backing the guitar volume off always seems to kill any effect. Even in a clean channel, dialing the guitar volume back kills the bite. What am I missing - aside from real talent!?! Thanks.

ak_

when backing the guitar volume off always seems to kill any effect. Even in a clean channel, dialing the guitar volume back kills the bite. What am I missing - aside from real talent!?! Thanks.

Hello Doc

From what you've written, this could be the difference between '50s' and 'modern' wiring.

There are a few links on here, eg:
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?206468-50s-wiring-vs-modern&highlight=50s+wiring

Apologies if I am off target here.

Best

Andrew

Doc Sausage

Hello Doc

From what you've written, this could be the difference between '50s' and 'modern' wiring.

There are a few links on here, eg:
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?206468-50s-wiring-vs-modern&highlight=50s+wiring

Apologies if I am off target here.

Best

Andrew

That does clear it up...somewhat. Thanks. So does '50's wiring' NOT decrease the guitar's signal by rolling the volume back? Or does it mask my 'problem' better? I also forgot about the effects loop as opposed to in-line effects not killing those as much.

Chip's Music

That does clear it up...somewhat. Thanks. So does '50's wiring' NOT decrease the guitar's signal by rolling the volume back? Or does it mask my 'problem' better? I also forgot about the effects loop as opposed to in-line effects not killing those as much.

Hey Doc---there are no effects loops on vintage amps--might that be confusing this issue? In the 1970's through about 1984 I only had a Crybaby wah and MXR Phase 90 between my guitar and 100w Marshall amp heads that were usually cranked up to 8 1/2 or 9. Controlling clean/dirty with the guitar's volume control worked great. Same with smaller gigs through my 1966 Blackface Fender Pro Reverb amp on about 8 1/2 volume

Doc Sausage

Hey Doc---there are no effects loops on vintage amps--might that be confusing this issue? In the 1970's through about 1984 I only had a Crybaby wah and MXR Phase 90 between my guitar and 100w Marshall amp heads that were usually cranked up to 8 1/2 or 9. Controlling clean/dirty with the guitar's volume control worked great. Same with smaller gigs through my 1966 Blackface Fender Pro Reverb amp on about 8 1/2 volume

Yeah, let’s forget the effects loop thing for now. In the clean channel, I just never turned the amp up enough to get it to break up. I thought that’s what effects were for. Ha! I’m talking mainly Fenders. Even a 90’s era Blues Deville (I know, hardly vintage) is so loud with the guitar all the way up, a rookie just never thought to crank it and control with the guitar volume. But if I do, there is definitely some bite left with the guitar volume rolled off somewhat. I’ve been playing for 50 years and am just getting this concept! That and using the bass knob too. Better late than never.