NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Wine?

Wine?

Is anyone here particularly into wine?

I always drank red wine and Champagne, the Portuguese Trincadeira and Touriga Nacional being my favorites along with Bordeaux rouges.

Spent quite a while drinking onlyh beer and Bourbon whiskey, and now I'm feeling like I'm gonna rediscover wine. I had forgotten how a bottle of red wine can be the most perfect and soothing companion for a guitar in a lonely or chilling night.

I'm starting with some California Zinfandels and Cabernets.

Tips? Experiences? Why not show your collection, if you do collect wines? Any Californian indications?

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Wine?

Yes, I've collected wine for 25 years or so. Mostly Bordeaux and Aussie. I don't drink much, but had a very obcessive decade of buying.......and they're all gathering dust.

I like to drink a little of excellent quality, rather than a lot of poor quality.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Which ones do you prefer? Pics?

Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar

Wine? Why, Ed's Smooth Red, of course!

It's bottled in Texas (the winery is just south of Austin), and we bought a bottle at the local branch of the Spec's liquor store chain when some friends were dropping in from out of state last month. I told them that when I moved to Texas, of course I had to go into the bootlegging business! But for a cheap red, it's surprisingly smooth and drinkable.

For cognac, I prefer Remy Martin VSOP, and for apple-flavored brandy, Daron Calvados.
    Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 11-18-17 at 02:03 PM.

Made a Napa trip a few years back and have been into California reds since then. One of the best cabs I've had was a Chateau Montelena we had on New Year's Eve a few years ago. Had some Silver Oak cab at a wedding reception a few months back and that was really good as well. Twomey is a small maker, owned by the Silver Oaks folks and we had a good experience with their Pinot Noir. I know Duckhorn makes some great wines as well, and I think their 2014 Merlot was just selected by Wine Spectator as the #1 wine for 2017.

Hope that gives you a few possibilities!

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

Rodney Strong
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"

Les Paul Forum Member becks bolero's Avatar

+1 to Chateau Montelena

I am a fan of reds like cab sauv, malbec, barolo, amarone, bordeaux

but I am far from an expert

I will be brewing my own at a local place instead, soon. Apparently all the sulfites they put in most wine is very bad for your prostate
    "First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really." -Neil Young

Chateau Musar if you like full bodied reds.

I like the Beringer wines from California. Their Cabernet Sauvignon is amazing. And if you want to spend a little more, get the knights valley line of their wines. Amazingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    Yes, I've collected wine for 25 years or so. Mostly Bordeaux and Aussie. I don't drink much, but had a very obcessive decade of buying.......and they're all gathering dust.

I like to drink a little of excellent quality, rather than a lot of poor quality.

If you have any Aussie Grange or Hill of Grace... I'll relieve you of them, they're only worth a few £££ aren't they?

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

This tasted great, although not a daily wine.

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Good Lord.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoomGuru View Post

If you have any Aussie Grange or Hill of Grace... I'll relieve you of them, they're only worth a few £££ aren't they?

Lots of Grange, no HoG......the latter never did it for me.

Last edited by F-Hole; 11-26-17 at 02:33 AM.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Daily, but probably should be weekly drinking...something Merlot from Sth Australia.

For something fancy, a nice Zinfandel from Ca, and for white (matched with say, some spicy Asian food), a lovely New Zealand Gewurztraminer.

I once had to stay in some average Airport Hotel in San Francisco when my flight got delayed, and I asked for a Pinot...they served me something from the Valley and it blew my taste buds! I enjoyed it so much I forgot to ask what it was
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Good Lord.
    What does the Expensive Wino prefer?

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    What does the Expensive Wino prefer?
    These days? Sherry with the vicar.

I take it.. no Strong?

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    Lots of Grange, no HoG......the latter never did it for me.

Well played Sir

Next time you find yourself in Melbourne, I have a few vintage HOG that may sway you ☺️....

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

I like wine and feel I can tell when I"m drinking something good vs something medocre vs Boones farms

we have a wine cooler and we have a couple good things from a couple places my wife went to in napa one is called

https://aonairwine.com/

(really good)

and the other is

http://www.baldaccivineyards.com/

we get like a half case every once and a while from these places.

if any of you go to napa I'd hit those places as its good juice

other than that I would not call myself an Ex-pensive wino

I do like whisky and scotch--

peaty islay malts-- Lagavulin is one fave (but we are not here to discuss that!)

I like the better Texas and Missouri wines. They make for the most excellent and even coverage on my finer wood products. The Kansas wines fade too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I like the better Texas and Missouri wines. They make for the most excellent and even coverage on my finer wood products. The Kansas wines fade too quickly.
    I've tried using Ed's Smooth Red as a floor polish, but to be honest, it hasn't made me want to switch from New Shimmer.

"First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really." -Neil Young

I had to google that one -- after the previous post, I thought it was a Photoshop. I don't think Baby Duck ever made it to the States; though I sold plenty of Cold Duck when I worked in a liquor store during my college years.

http://www.winesofcanada.com/babyduck.html

From Sonoma Valley California, St Francis is a great brand, Cabernet, Merlot or the Zinfandel, if you can get the reserve in any of those you are in for a treat.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains
    long after low pricing is forgotten! "

I had to google that one -- after the previous post, I thought it was a Photoshop. I don't think Baby Duck ever made it to the States; though I sold plenty of Cold Duck when I worked in a liquor store during my college years.

http://www.winesofcanada.com/babyduck.html
    haha, yes I'm pretty sure it's low budget faux-champagne. I don't even know if they still make it

I work as a sommelier in many wineries and to be honest, I've never taste such a wine as Carpe Vinum. The tour in their store ended with a wine tasting. These subtle tastes I'll remember for a very long time. I especially liked the wine with notes of grapefruit and sweetness of pineapple, I haven't tried this in the US wine shops and most likely I'll never try it there. I was surprised by the service and quality of their service. The explanation of the products of the wine was at the highest level, especially liked the story of the beginning of their work. I recently ordered from them a couple bottles of wine, if someone is going to pass through New York come in visit and I'll treat you with this amazing wine.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinkovalsky View Post
    I work as a sommelier in many wineries and to be honest, I've never taste such a wine as Carpe Vinum. The tour in their store ended with a wine tasting. These subtle tastes I'll remember for a very long time. I especially liked the wine with notes of grapefruit and sweetness of pineapple, I haven't tried this in the US wine shops and most likely I'll never try it there. I was surprised by the service and quality of their service. The explanation of the products of the wine was at the highest level, especially liked the story of the beginning of their work. I recently ordered from them a couple bottles of wine, if someone is going to pass through New York come in visit and I'll treat you with this amazing wine.
    How do you work simultaneously "as a sommelier in many wineries?" Do you rotate amongst them on a daily or weekly basis? Freelance or an employee? Either way, that sounds like an awesome gig!

Champipple 1973

Mine FB (372)

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    Champipple 1973
    I'm more of a Flapple man, myself.

I've become extremely partial to Burgundy's lately- though a recent discovery of GSM's (Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre) has become a bit of a staple.

My favorite for a while has been:

Midnight Blues

I'm more of a Flapple man, myself.

I'm an equal-opportunity drinker.
    I prefer beer most of the time - craft beer, of course, none of that Bud/Miller/Coors in this house,
    but I also enjoy a good time - preferably red, but every so often I come across a white that I like.
    I don't stick to any particular regions or even grapes - but I look for a well-done example, and it's amazing how many of those are available in the $15 - $20 range. Yeah, you get a better bottle at $50 or more, but somewhere there's that balance point between cost and taste.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.