• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wine?

S. Cane

Is anyone here particularly into wine?

I always drank red wine and Champagne, the Portuguese Trincadeira and Touriga Nacional being my favorites along with Bordeaux rouges.

Spent quite a while drinking onlyh beer and Bourbon whiskey, and now I'm feeling like I'm gonna rediscover wine. I had forgotten how a bottle of red wine can be the most perfect and soothing companion for a guitar in a lonely or chilling night.

I'm starting with some California Zinfandels and Cabernets.

Tips? Experiences? Why not show your collection, if you do collect wines? Any Californian indications?

F-Hole

Yes, I've collected wine for 25 years or so. Mostly Bordeaux and Aussie. I don't drink much, but had a very obcessive decade of buying.......and they're all gathering dust.

I like to drink a little of excellent quality, rather than a lot of poor quality.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Wine? Why, Ed's Smooth Red, of course! :laugh2:

i-xwn7dgk-L.jpg

It's bottled in Texas (the winery is just south of Austin), and we bought a bottle at the local branch of the Spec's liquor store chain when some friends were dropping in from out of state last month. I told them that when I moved to Texas, of course I had to go into the bootlegging business! But for a cheap red, it's surprisingly smooth and drinkable.

For cognac, I prefer Remy Martin VSOP, and for apple-flavored brandy, Daron Calvados.

Last edited:

joeh77

Made a Napa trip a few years back and have been into California reds since then. One of the best cabs I've had was a Chateau Montelena we had on New Year's Eve a few years ago. Had some Silver Oak cab at a wedding reception a few months back and that was really good as well. Twomey is a small maker, owned by the Silver Oaks folks and we had a good experience with their Pinot Noir. I know Duckhorn makes some great wines as well, and I think their 2014 Merlot was just selected by Wine Spectator as the #1 wine for 2017.

Hope that gives you a few possibilities!

becks bolero

+1 to Chateau Montelena

I am a fan of reds like cab sauv, malbec, barolo, amarone, bordeaux

but I am far from an expert

I will be brewing my own at a local place instead, soon. Apparently all the sulfites they put in most wine is very bad for your prostate

RyanSanchez36

I like the Beringer wines from California. Their Cabernet Sauvignon is amazing. And if you want to spend a little more, get the knights valley line of their wines. Amazingly good.

BoomGuru

Yes, I've collected wine for 25 years or so. Mostly Bordeaux and Aussie. I don't drink much, but had a very obcessive decade of buying.......and they're all gathering dust.

I like to drink a little of excellent quality, rather than a lot of poor quality.

If you have any Aussie Grange or Hill of Grace... I'll relieve you of them, they're only worth a few £££ aren't they?
:hmm

F-Hole

If you have any Aussie Grange or Hill of Grace... I'll relieve you of them, they're only worth a few £££ aren't they?
:hmm

Lots of Grange, no HoG......the latter never did it for me.

Last edited:

latestarter

Daily, but probably should be weekly drinking...something Merlot from Sth Australia.

For something fancy, a nice Zinfandel from Ca, and for white (matched with say, some spicy Asian food), a lovely New Zealand Gewurztraminer.

I once had to stay in some average Airport Hotel in San Francisco when my flight got delayed, and I asked for a Pinot...they served me something from the Valley and it blew my taste buds! I enjoyed it so much I forgot to ask what it was :dang

Pellman73

I like wine and feel I can tell when I"m drinking something good vs something medocre vs Boones farms

we have a wine cooler and we have a couple good things from a couple places my wife went to in napa one is called

https://aonairwine.com/

(really good)

and the other is

http://www.baldaccivineyards.com/

we get like a half case every once and a while from these places.

if any of you go to napa I'd hit those places as its good juice

other than that I would not call myself an Ex-pensive wino

I do like whisky and scotch--

peaty islay malts-- Lagavulin is one fave (but we are not here to discuss that!)