• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 Les Paul Custom Top Carve and Body Thickness

CableClamp

Ok, custom lovers please come closer.

I played three '69 LPCs this year, owned a '73 LPC until recently and own a '92 LPC and noticed something I would like to learn more about.

All three '69 LPCs had still the dish carve top instead of the '73 dome carve with flatter taper to the body edges BUT the '69s carve tops were all much shallower than the carve of my '92.

Apart from that, I noticed the overall body thickness (binding to binding) of the '69s as well as the '73 is much thinner than my '92. Easily a 0.5cm or 0.20". I know the 2000s LPCs have still much thicker bodies.

Why are the modern LPC bodies so thick compared to their "originals"? Were the '68s or '57s thicker? Because why not make the body as they were back then again and ditch the weight relief?

And is it a common thing that the carve top of the '69 or even '68 maybe are shallower than today or in the 50s? I mean we all know the deep dish crazy sexy carve tops of the 50s LPs. My '92 comes relatively close to that but the '69s I played were nowhere near as high respectively deep. Have modern RIs like the '68 also thicker bodies?

Anybody here who wants to chime in on that topic?

Progrocker111

My mid 69 Custom has still very pronounced top, comparable to current Historics.

fGeQFfV.jpg
[/IMG]

Body thickness varied from piece to piece, from my longtime observations the thickest were 68s - till mid 71. All 73s and 74s i ever had were always a bit thinner than my 70 or 71s, or my current 69. Late 70s Customs were a bit thicker again, 90s ones too for example.

My 69 Custom is 5 cm thick (from binding to binding). My last 73 Custom was only 4,8 cm thick for example. :)

El Gringo

My mid 69 Custom has still very pronounced top, comparable to current Historics.

fGeQFfV.jpg
[/IMG]

Body thickness varied from piece to piece, from my longtime observations the thickest were 68s - till mid 71. All 73s and 74s i ever had were always a bit thinner than my 70 or 71s, or my current 69. Late 70s Customs were a bit thicker again, 90s ones too for example.

My 69 Custom is 5 cm thick (from binding to binding). My last 73 Custom was only 4,8 cm thick for example. :)
Your 69 is in immaculate and pristine condition and looks like you have all of your original parts including the witch hat knobs ? I would love to see more photos please (front and back and headstock)

Progrocker111

Your 69 is in immaculate and pristine condition and looks like you have all of your original parts including the witch hat knobs ? I would love to see more photos please (front and back and headstock)

Yes, its in 100% original mint nearly unplayed condition.

Here are some more photos:

DXPfmRB.jpg
[/IMG]

5LJWH0B.jpg
[/IMG]

pbNSR1x.jpg
[/IMG]

duBIXrP.jpg
[/IMG]

marshall1987

PROG:

That's one fine Les Paul Custom you have there! What a find. :salude What is the neck profile you your LPC? Thanks.

El Gringo

Thank you for providing more wonderful photos of your most super wonderful Black Beauty as it surely is !The condition is a dead Mint as you said virtually unplayed .How is the tone ? and the weight ? That sure is the finest most mint and best condition that I have ever seen for a Black beauty from this era .Bravo

Progrocker111

How is the tone ? and the weight ? That sure is the finest most mint and best condition that I have ever seen for a Black beauty from this era .Bravo

Thanks. :)

Weight is approx. 9.8 lbs, also average for this year. Tone is very interesting, it has surprisingly many mid overtones and a fairly lot of kinda 50s woody honk and fatness too. On the other side its very articulate, clean with gritty growling character and sustain. Its just like a mix between 50s and early 70s Customs tonewise.

djd100

Thanks. :)

Weight is approx. 9.8 lbs, also average for this year. Tone is very interesting, it has surprisingly many mid overtones and a fairly lot of kinda 50s woody honk and fatness too. On the other side its very articulate, clean with gritty growling character and sustain. Its just like a mix between 50s and early 70s Customs tonewise.

I had a 69 Custom back in the day, which weighed in at right about 10lbs. It was a great guitar.

I sold it for a refin'd 56 Special, and then later sold the 56 Special (DOH!), for my early 69 GT Standard, which weighs in at 9lbs (converted with PAF's), that I still have. I much preferred the 9lbs to the 10lbs LOL!

Beautiful Custom, congrats!

El Gringo

I have a question about when Gibson started to use 3 piece maple tops on the 68 and onward Les Paul Customs ?

Progrocker111

I have a question about when Gibson started to use 3 piece maple tops on the 68 and onward Les Paul Customs ?

AFAIK in may - mid 69, practically together with the switch to 3 piece necks and transitional tenon, just after this came the first appearance of the "mysterious" extra maple layer just under the maple cap (full pancake body construction appeared in very late 69).

Mine has 29th week of 69 pots and has all above-mentioned signs. 69 was the very interesting transitional year.

P.S. Anybody knows something about Moonweasel? He is the late 60s Les Pauls master here and was off for a very long time... :hmm

El Gringo

AFAIK in may - mid 69, practically together with the switch to 3 piece necks and transitional tenon, just after this came the first appearance of the "mysterious" extra maple layer just under the maple cap (full pancake body construction appeared in very late 69).

Mine has 29th week of 69 pots and has all above-mentioned signs. 69 was the very interesting transitional year.

P.S. Anybody knows something about Moonweasel? He is the late 60s Les Pauls master here and was off for a very long time... :hmm
Thank you so much for your knowledge and info which is greatly appreciated .