• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burstbucker Pros in Classic 2017

Old School

Hi everyone, so I want to put Burstbucker Pros in my Les Paul Classic 2017 which currently has 57s, I was thinking of putting a whole setup pickups, switch, and the quick connect set up from a Standard with all the push pull etc. Would the Burstbucker Pros sound any better if I just solder them on my original pots etc with the orange drop capacitor or is it same thing as the circuit board and just preference.

Dperalta

I have a half dozen HB equipped Les Pauls and the only one that I am not happy with the tone of is the 2017 Standard T with BB Pros. I have 57 Classic and Classic Plus P/Us in all of the others and love them. If you were closer I'd be more than happy to trade you.

David

Old School

I have a half dozen HB equipped Les Pauls and the only one that I am not happy with the tone of is the 2017 Standard T with BB Pros. I have 57 Classic and Classic Plus P/Us in all of the others and love them. If you were closer I'd be more than happy to trade you.

David

What other pickup combos do you have, what style of music you playing too?

Shakey

The question is what kind of sound are you going for, what do you play and how are you going to use your guitar. Personally I've never played a bb pro equipped guitar and liked what I'm hearing, same with most standard wireing too. That's no to say it's bad per se, but it really doesn't achieve the sound I like or react the way I'd like when I'm playing and rolling the volume down.

Personally if I was using the guitar your talking about I'd swap out all the pots for better quality ones and wire the guitar to 50's wireing befor I did anything with the pickups. Then I'd probably put in some nice custom made pickups by Mark at OX4 (personal fave) or one of the other bajillion custom pickup makers out there. But that's me, if your running real high gain, pedals or are using a digital modelling amps where you can dial in specific frequencies, unpotted microphonic pickups are going to be the last thing you want.

Dperalta

I play through Marshals with plenty of gain most of the time. Not a modern scooped tone, pretty much just a cranked JCM 800 sound. I really tried to like the B.B. Pros given what I spent on the guitar, but it really is the worst sounding guitar I have right now.

David

Dperalta

Ok, I took a couple of hours today and removed all of the electronics from this guitar, Changed the bridge pup magnet to an Alnico 2, and wired it up 50's style with push?pull tone pots for proper coil splits. Sounds amazing! I guess I just don't like the BB Pros. From what I gather, putting an Alnico 2 in that pup pretty much makes it a BB 2.
There also was no discernible difference in sound with the factory coil taps. All is good now.

David