• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Koss and PG outputs

springhead

Because the resistance is the easiest thing to measure. Impedance would be difficult to meaningfully measure/calculate, and at what frequency?

Inductance and field strength figures could be interesting.

EpiLP1985

I'm working up an Excel sheet right now that should be able to receive pickup and control circuit specs and gives some outputs on frequency, voltage, etc. More to follow. Could be a nice tool to use for data input and some interesting plots and figures.

springhead

On a related not there's a series of videos on guitar electronics here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dp9clGe-I

He's putting exciter coils over the pickups and using a sweep gen/spectrum analyser to view the effect of pots, tone controls etc. So not making use of the whole pickup, just straight induction into the coils.

@Fried Okra - that's an interesting article on the Pearly Pup's.

EpiLP1985

This a sheet i've been working on since yesterday. It isn't fleshed out completely yet.

I'm looking to get some frequency plot type stuff together for the pickups and tone circuits and i'm working through developing the Bode plot functions in Excel.

Circuit Modeler.jpg

duaneflowers

This a sheet i've been working on since yesterday. It isn't fleshed out completely yet.

I'm looking to get some frequency plot type stuff together for the pickups and tone circuits and i'm working through developing the Bode plot functions in Excel.

View attachment 6574
That looks great!!

A few more components to consider measuring would be pot readings at 0, 5 & 10, more specifics about the wire (copper core size/ resistance & the thickness/type of the enamel insulation), magnet specifics (type/gauss) & cap type/specs.

While minor, they might add to the sonic fingerprint.

EpiLP1985

That looks great!!

A few more components to consider measuring would be pot readings at 0, 5 & 10, more specifics about the wire (copper core size/ resistance & the thickness/type of the enamel insulation), magnet specifics (type/gauss) & cap type/specs.

Definitely. It’s a work in progress. Hopefully it can be a useful tool.

sws1

That looks great!!

And don't forget...bobbin color affects tone too.
;)