• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

5 to 6 pickguard screws on SGLP's?

58burst

Obscure minutae, but when did the pick guards on SG(LP)'s go from five screws to six screws? I read a few articles about Clapton's fool SG, and in all of them it was stated that its year was unknown, but it must be a '64 since it had six pickguard screws. Gibson's site also says 64 was the year of the change.

But... I have a very clean, original 62, that has six screws. So clearly the change happened earlier than '64... Any more info?

Cream Fan

Anything is possible with Gibson, but I'm curious. What is your SG's serial number?

58burst

44795- I guess earlier '62, still has the sideways vibrola, dunno when those stopped-

Cream Fan

I'm fairly certain they didn't switch over until late '63/early '64. The fact that yours has a 6-screw guard would seem to contradict the consensus, but it also might be a replacement. Or, as was common with those 5-screw guards, it started to warp and the owner decided to add a screw to hold it down. It's my theory that warping was the primary reason Gibson made the switch. There's really no other reason to bother with it. In any event, sounds like you've got a cool guitar. I think the side-to-side Vibrolas were gone by mid-'62 in favor of the short Maestro Vibrolas with the ebony tailblock.

58burst

Interesting- As near as I can tell it seems original- no difference in any detail among the screws, holes, warpage of guard around screw pressure, holes in guitar under the PG, etc.... Who knows what happened(?)

Kevin James

The 6th screw was added in mid to late 63, just before the switch from the side pull trem to the long vibrola.