• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1961 SG Custom - advice please

Phatfrank

So I've been offered a really, really cool looking '61 SG Custom ("Les Paul") in nice shape, but as it's a long drive away I'd like to get some pointers on a few things before I jump in the car. Firstly, I have a CS '61 SG that I love, and I'm not too sure about the neck size on an original 61. Will it have a really thin neck and narrow nut? I've played a couple of '61 ES'es, and the neck just didn't quite work for me.

Also, how's the playability of these things compared to a Custom Shop SG? I tend to prefer old guitars vs new, but the tremolo arm on that thing looks a bit more fragile than the Vibrola unit on mine. Any other advice is also much appreciated:). Sorry, no pictures for now as I'd like to keep this one under the radar for a bit. Seller also has some other old mean guitars, so I might have to rob a bank on my way...

BuckyFuller

So I've been offered a really, really cool looking '61 SG Custom ("Les Paul") in nice shape, but as it's a long drive away I'd like to get some pointers on a few things before I jump in the car. Firstly, I have a CS '61 SG that I love, and I'm not too sure about the neck size on an original 61. Will it have a really thin neck and narrow nut? I've played a couple of '61 ES'es, and the neck just didn't quite work for me.

Also, how's the playability of these things compared to a Custom Shop SG? I tend to prefer old guitars vs new, but the tremolo arm on that thing looks a bit more fragile than the Vibrola unit on mine. Any other advice is also much appreciated:). Sorry, no pictures for now as I'd like to keep this one under the radar for a bit. Seller also has some other old mean guitars, so I might have to rob a bank on my way...

I owned that guitar for a short while in the early 1970s, people always said to me "its not a real les paul", so no one wanted it but it was an amazing axe, easy to play, looked killer, sounded killer, I never understood these stupid opinions - that guitar was awesome. recently played a 1961 LP SG style, Peltham Blue but faded, crazy killer sound from the pafs - I played it thru my 1959 Gibson Skylark (5W) all the way up, sooooooo good. I want that guitar, on the short list.

Phatfrank

I owned that guitar for a short while in the early 1970s, people always said to me "its not a real les paul", so no one wanted it but it was an amazing axe, easy to play, looked killer, sounded killer, I never understood these stupid opinions - that guitar was awesome. recently played a 1961 LP SG style, Peltham Blue but faded, crazy killer sound from the pafs - I played it thru my 1959 Gibson Skylark (5W) all the way up, sooooooo good. I want that guitar, on the short list.
Thanks, pretty much what I hoped for. The guitar has some issues, including a broken headstock (fixed properly) and, more important, the PAFs have been replaced with pat no pups. I'm checking it out next week. Owner is also selling a 56 custom and a 59 jr, so should be a nice day:)

pinefd

I once owned a ‘61 Custom, and it’s the one guitar (out of many dozens) that I regret selling.

I can’t really compare the vintage ‘61s to a CS version because I haven’t really played a CS. But I can say, that I loved the way my old ‘61 felt and played. I have a ‘61 Standard (refin.) now, and I love it.

Regarding the vibrola, I installed one of these in my ‘61 Standard, and it makes a huge difference in the tuning stability, and in the sustain...definitely worth checking out: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...ys-vibrola-check-this-out-)&highlight=Vibrola

Frank

El Gringo

Buyer beware with a broken headstock and PAF's removed .This should sell for less and if you get a good deal that you like go for it.