The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 100
  1. #41
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Couldn't be happier for you, Kris. You are now firmly entrenched in Burst history.

    Would love even a brief report on how she plays and sounds.

  2. #42
    Les Paul Forum Member dwagar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    4,262

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Terrific pictures. Thank you.
    - Don

    Originally Posted by reswot
    A 50's Special is, IMO, the coolest guitar ever made.

  3. #43

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Unreal. I am in awe.

  4. #44

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Those pictures should show up when you type the word "MOJO" in to Google. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

  5. #45
    Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    7,052

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Thanks for all the pics of the *case*! I'm not sure I've ever seen that kind of treatment here.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

  6. #46
    Les Paul Forum Member GastonG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by dleake View Post
    Those pictures should show up when you type the word "MOJO" in to Google. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
    ++++1
    Amazing all the way !

    Gaston
    Marshall & Les Paul or Bluesbreaker & Beano
    "sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble
    tres bien ensemble" (as in "Michelle" by The Beatles)

  7. #47
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    There have been some epic acquisitions on this forum over the years. This one ranks RIGHT UP THERE, in my humble opinion!

  8. #48
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    140

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    What Gauge strings are on it and do we know which gauge PK used?
    I was fortunate enough to see Free live many times in London before, during and after they hit it. Kossoff went to the same school as my brother in the 60's... King Alfred School in Golders Green..

  9. #49
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,096

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Kris,

    Do you know where the donor top of the neck came from? Was it crafted by a luthier or was it from another vintage (or more current) Les Paul?

    Please tell your daughter for me that she takes wonderful pictures, and give that gorgeous wife of yours a big hug. I think both you and I hit the wife lottery.

  10. #50
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,096

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by david plues View Post
    I can help with that one - neck 8.52 bridge 7.43

    Am I the only one who immediately thought, "I wonder what those would sound like if you switched their positions?"

  11. #51
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Am I the only one who immediately thought, "I wonder what those would sound like if you switched their positions?"
    Yes.



  12. #52
    Les Paul Forum Member J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Kris,

    Do you know where the donor top of the neck came from? Was it crafted by a luthier or was it from another vintage (or more current) Les Paul?

    Please tell your daughter for me that she takes wonderful pictures, and give that gorgeous wife of yours a big hug. I think both you and I hit the wife lottery.
    Assuming there never were Klusons installed due to what appears to be lack of top mounting screw holes, that should narrow it down a bit.

  13. #53
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Kris,

    Do you know where the donor top of the neck came from? Was it crafted by a luthier or was it from another vintage (or more current) Les Paul?

    Please tell your daughter for me that she takes wonderful pictures, and give that gorgeous wife of yours a big hug. I think both you and I hit the wife lottery.
    Two theories. One the neck was grafted with a scarf repair and the damaged headstock was refurbished by Sam Li. Second theory (more of what I think), Li grafted a scarf joint (obviously) and completely crafted a new headstock, while salvaging the Gibson logo. JD may be on to something with the lack of top holes above the grovers, unless Li filled them in upon repair. I am going to further investigate this as well as measure the Headstock, due to the fact it seems a bit narrower.

    I will let Ana know what you said. She really wants to shoot JB sometime while performing. Yes, we scored the winning ticket with our ladies.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

  14. #54
    Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between Woodstock and NOVA
    Posts
    13,738

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    To me, looks like the top was crafted, veneer transferred on to new neck. I see no kluson holes. Ears look petty thick, calipers would give you a good idea. Great repair for sure.
    Top carves are sexy

  15. #55

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    God that's Beautiful !
    Hell Yea son of the south,I walk tall and wear it proud !

  16. #56
    Les Paul Forum Member Tarcisioo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    300

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by david plues View Post
    I can help with that one - neck 8.52 bridge 7.43
    Magnificent guitar.

    I wonder how does it balance, if the neck pickup feels any hotter considering the resistance

  17. #57
    Les Paul Forum Member Stoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,462

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Awesome pics - thanks for sharing Kris

    Guitars:
    2013 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul (Aged)
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 1963 Reissue
    2015 Gibson Custom Shop ES 330 1959 Reissue
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster
    2014 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Stratocaster

    Amp:
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

  18. #58

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Awesome pictures. Phenomenal guitar. Thank you so much for sharing!

  19. #59

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Congrats Man!!!! and thanks for sharing...

  20. #60

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Thanks for sharing the pics. Wow!

  21. #61

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    THIS is why I come here! Thanks so much for the great pics, and congrats!!!
    "So I let the poison go, 'cause baby I always know it'll be there for me"

  22. #62

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by Fried okra View Post
    Two theories. One the neck was grafted with a scarf repair and the damaged headstock was refurbished by Sam Li. Second theory (more of what I think), Li grafted a scarf joint (obviously) and completely crafted a new headstock, while salvaging the Gibson logo. JD may be on to something with the lack of top holes above the grovers, unless Li filled them in upon repair. I am going to further investigate this as well as measure the Headstock, due to the fact it seems a bit narrower.

    I will let Ana know what you said. She really wants to shoot JB sometime while performing. Yes, we scored the winning ticket with our ladies.

    Arthur told me the original headstock split at 45 degrees and was lost in the crowd

  23. #63
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,555

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Awesome, Kris! Thanks for sharing... and keep playing that beauty!

  24. #64

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    So glad for you for acquiring this beautiful guitar.
    Thanks for being gracious enough to show it and allow us to see it up close.
    I am, however, amazed that the Kossoff guitar was actually only a mile from my own home.
    Who would have known? I must have passed it at least twice a week.
    I hope you enjoyed your visit and I wish you many years of pleasure from owning such a historic and beautiful instrument.
    Best wishes.
    Dave,
    North East England.
    Last edited by Macaz; 11-08-17 at 03:44 PM.

  25. #65
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    956

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by david plues View Post
    Arthur told me the original headstock split at 45 degrees and was lost in the crowd
    Kris I think you need to track it down

  26. #66
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    214

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Curious, does anyone know how long Koss owned and played this one after the break/repair?

    Also, which now famous recordings were done with this guitar?

    TIA...

  27. #67
    Les Paul Forum Member Tubes 'n Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, Nebraska
    Posts
    167

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Awesome pics!! Tyvm for posting!
    T 'n W

    2002 R8
    1969 Twin Reverb
    1969 Vibrolux Reverb

  28. #68
    Les Paul Forum Member Hamerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    From the best part of Germany - Bavaria
    Posts
    633

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Nice relic job on this one. Maybe a tad over the top.

  29. #69
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by djd100 View Post
    Curious, does anyone know how long Koss owned and played this one after the break/repair?

    Also, which now famous recordings were done with this guitar?

    TIA...
    He aqired it in late 1970, according to Kossoffs girlfriend Sandie, from Clapton. After he broke it in 1972, he had luthier Sam Li repair it and played it until his death in 1976.

    He used it live a lot after he acquired it. Since he got it after most Free recordings, he only used it on “Free at last”, and some of the tracks on “Heartbreaker”. He broke it during the “Heartbreaker” sessions October - November, 1972. He used it during Free’s 1st breakup on the album Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit. And after the 2nd Breakup with Back Street Crawler on albums “The Band Plays On”, “2nd Street” and “Live At Croyden Fairfield Halls 6-15-75”. I have pics of him playing it live in numerous places. Even have a pic of him playing it in Memphis, TN at the Mid South Stadium, April 21, 1972 with the speed knobs on it.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

  30. #70
    Les Paul Forum Member Billy Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    995

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Great pictures. I'm just getting into Free/Kossoff at a late stage and have enjoyed your tales and hope you enjoy your guitar in good health

    The Mayfair ticket is for the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle-upon-Tyne as stated in the article . Alas no longer there it hosted every rock band visiting the area and I believe was the first gig of Led Zeppelin. They hosted Friday rock nights and everyone on Tyneside over 40ish has fond memories of the venue

    You’re never alone with a schizophrenic

  31. #71
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    214

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by Fried okra View Post
    He aqired it in late 1970, according to Kossoffs girlfriend Sandie, from Clapton. After he broke it in 1972, he had luthier Sam Li repair it and played it until his death in 1976.

    He used it live a lot after he acquired it. Since he got it after most Free recordings, he only used it on “Free at last”, and some of the tracks on “Heartbreaker”. He broke it during the “Heartbreaker” sessions October - November, 1972. He used it during Free’s 1st breakup on the album Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit. And after the 2nd Breakup with Back Street Crawler on albums “The Band Plays On”, “2nd Street” and “Live At Croyden Fairfield Halls 6-15-75”. I have pics of him playing it live in numerous places. Even have a pic of him playing it in Memphis, TN at the Mid South Stadium, April 21, 1972 with the speed knobs on it.
    Thanks, and if possible point me at some of the live Koss pics!

    Koss, along with Page, Beck, Clapton, Taylor, Green/Spencer/Kirwan (and Hendrix of course), we're my initial Blues Rock guitar influences after the Beatles/Stones way back when.

    Thanks...

  32. #72

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    A spot of sanding, a lick of paint and maybe a reneck, and you'll have yourself a nice player there.

  33. #73
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by sglp63 View Post
    A spot of sanding, a lick of paint and maybe a reneck, and you'll have yourself a nice player there.
    It could use a bit of spit polish, but other than that, it plays like butter.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

  34. #74
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork
    Posts
    2,485

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Simply amazing! Gives new meaning to "old wood". I'll bet that guitar sings like a song bird.

    I have never seen nickel plating on a PAF peel off like that as evidenced on the bridge pickup. Very unusual.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

    Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

  35. #75
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Maybe someone can mic there 59 headstock. What the Kossoff reads is as follows:
    78mm Top Most Width
    65mm Middle Narrowist Width
    68mm lower Width
    15mm thick
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

  36. #76
    Les Paul Forum Member sws1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by Fried okra View Post
    Maybe someone can mic there 59 headstock. What the Kossoff reads is as follows:
    78mm Top Most Width
    65mm Middle Narrowist Width
    68mm lower Width
    15mm thick
    I can check a bit later. However, if I'm not mistaken, there are a bunch of measurements at the back of BOTB. As you'd expect, they're all different.

  37. #77
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    4,944

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Here you go Gents..

    Source: The Beauty Of The 'Burst ( Yasuhiko Iwanade ) pg 220.

    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

  38. #78
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Here you go Gents..

    Source: The Beauty Of The 'Burst ( Yasuhiko Iwanade ) pg 220.

    Thanks, that is great info. It just doesn’t show the headstock widths.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

  39. #79
    Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hill Country, Mississippi
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    I can check a bit later. However, if I'm not mistaken, there are a bunch of measurements at the back of BOTB. As you'd expect, they're all different.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.



    "I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

    He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

  40. #80
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    4,944

    Re: Kossoff Up Close

    Quote Originally Posted by Fried okra View Post
    Thanks, that is great info. It just doesn’t show the headstock widths.
    Sorry Kris, I mis-read, I thought you were after the thickness..
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!