• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kossoff Up Close

sws1

Maybe someone can mic there 59 headstock. What the Kossoff reads is as follows:
78mm Top Most Width
65mm Middle Narrowist Width
68mm lower Width
15mm thick

I got

76mm at the top (albeit with worn corners)
66mm middle
70mm at the bottom
Thickness tapers from 16mm to 15mm

Arch D. Bunker

Two theories. One the neck was grafted with a scarf repair and the damaged headstock was refurbished by Sam Li. Second theory (more of what I think), Li grafted a scarf joint (obviously) and completely crafted a new headstock, while salvaging the Gibson logo. JD may be on to something with the lack of top holes above the grovers, unless Li filled them in upon repair. I am going to further investigate this as well as measure the Headstock, due to the fact it seems a bit narrower.

I guess you have already read this (from a 1976 GP interview with Koss):

"I’m also using a Les Paul Standard with a sunburst finish; I think it’s about a ’57. It had it’s neck broken once, on the last gig with Free. It went up about twenty feet and came down on its neck. I thought that was it, but I saw a guy in London named Sam Lee (sic) who does beautiful work, and he put it back together. It broke at the 5th fret, and he rebuilt everything up from there up, including the tuning head. The only other thing I’ve done is add Grover machine heads on."

BURSTGANG

If this isn't cool I don't know what is.............so much history in that guitar!...........in that case!,with everything! Think of all the incredible music that was made with that guitar. WOW! Very cool photos of one of the most amazing guitars on this planet!:salude

renderit

If this isn't cool I don't know what is.............so much history in that guitar!...........in that case!,with everything! Think of all the incredible music that was made with that guitar. WOW! Very cool photos of one of the most amazing guitars on this planet!:salude

That IS true! But there is a deal going down on Nebulon 5 right now which would blow THIS away!....

P.Walker

(Continuing from the other R9 thread!..)

IMG_7843.jpg

I can't help but notice the washer under the truss rod nut; I assume that was needed to straighten out the neck from all the years of drying? After all the gigs and history it's been through, all it needs is a washer to straighten it back out...i've seen too many examples of historics where the neck goes belly up from too much relief, truss rod washer or not...gibson must have been drying the wood a little differently back then.

About the pickups, do you ever wonder what they would sound like with the higher reading in the bridge?

Also does this mean "the bishop" finally gets the refret? :)

Congrats again!

Highway Star

You should take that Bonamassa sticker off that case!! :##
Great photos ..!!
Joe B

On the contrary. Kossoff is a legend and was a great player but Bonamassa is probably the best guitarist ever played that guitar :hank

Last edited:

Kossoff_Fan

First, my sincere congratulations and kudos to Fried Okra. I've been an ardent (ok, completely obsessed) fan of Free for over 30 years. The various Kossoff 'Bursts and other guitars were always a fascination, in addition to the incredible music he left us. Thank you so much for the close-up photos. Seeing them today renders me speechless. Thank you...

marfen

Thanks for sharing these awesome pics of this cool piece of history! As we say in gearhead world "no scar, no story".

Doc Sausage

Fantastic pics! I have a whole new appreciation for, “that song!” And JB on the case, icing on the cake!

sidekick

On the contrary. Kossoff is a legend and was a great player but Bonamassa is probably the best guitarist ever played that guitar :hank

A compliment, (given that you are no doubt a JB appreciator) ... Although my guess is that JB feels himself that he is, (relatively speaking) 'standing on the shoulders of giants'.

OP ... Congrats regarding acquiring this special guitar.

AA00475Bassman

Really have enjoyed this window you might not get a look into ! Thank you for posting .

Anje

Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing :salude
Paul was a big influence for me when starting to play the guitar, I remember playing those old Free songs for hours again & again to learn from his phrasing & vibrato; I can only try to imagine what a treat it must be to actually hold & play that very guitar.

bramley

Congrats, wonderful stuff. I'm also pleased to see mention of Sam Li confirming he was a real person. I knew Sam and saw him regularly in the early 70's and all the BS urban myth stories in various "Greenie" threads , even claims about his very existence made my blood boil.