• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Honest opinions on Vintage v100PGM Lemondrop

Burstman

HELLO! Greetings from Brazil

I have two guitars , PGM and Paridese
xq95bq.jpg
[/IMG]
omjo9.jpg
[/IMG]
jh4pdc.jpg
[/IMG]
I really like the two guitars.the neck on pgm is very thick ,round c shape , the paradise neck is thin , d ? shape ? .
My Afd Paradise is made in Vietnam ,Pgm is made in china .
Paradise weight 7,9Lbs , PGM 10,2 Lbs
The finish on afd iS Better , the frets are nice on both.
Here in Brazil everything is expensive ...Here they cost half the value of a Gibson LP STUDIO.
v100 PGM has Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Set , v100 paradise has Seymour Duncan Slash set , now with nickel covers.
Pearly Gates is the Best!
sorry for my english I'M still trying to learn.

JYD

Very interested in the Vintage V100s. I would upgrade all the electronics. How's the fretwire quality and what is the size? Thanks!

JYD

Bump. ...Anyone still rocking at V100 these days? Which model?

deytookerjaabs

I live right by a high end amp/synth servicing center, British Audio, and they started stocking these Vintage Brand guitars a few years back. Eh, Satiny/Beat kinda vibe to them and not bad for the money. Recently I stopped in there and they had about 3-4 times the stock they had before, wall to wall to wall. And, they looked better. Especially the T & S-styles and the junior/special type guitars. Pretty solid finish, decent fretwork, seem stable, and good appointments. I don't have a tele style right now, but I also don't have dough..so problem solved!

JYD

I live right by a high end amp/synth servicing center, British Audio, and they started stocking these Vintage Brand guitars a few years back. Eh, Satiny/Beat kinda vibe to them and not bad for the money. Recently I stopped in there and they had about 3-4 times the stock they had before, wall to wall to wall. And, they looked better. Especially the T & S-styles and the junior/special type guitars. Pretty solid finish, decent fretwork, seem stable, and good appointments. I don't have a tele style right now, but I also don't have dough..so problem solved!

Cool. Thanks, man! ...Any other recent experiences?

jwguitar

It seems Vintage Guitar’s quality has improved quite a bit over the past few years. I recently played a Vintage SG style guitar and the fretwork, fit and finish was very impressive. I cannot speak for how they are in the UK but here in the US, Vintage has very good quality control. Vintage/Fretking has only been sold in the US since around 2015.

JYD

Bump. There's a 2018 AFD near me. Gonna try it out tomorrow. Really want a good budget LP style guitar. Any recent experiences comparing the AFD and PGM?

jwguitar

How many of you have actually played a Vintage v100PGM Lemondrop and what did you honestly think of it?
i know it aint a Lester but would be interested in the opinions of those who have tried one?

Jon

I have played the worn version and I really liked it. It felt very substantial and well built. I probably would prefer the V100PGM which is not roadworn just because it has a nice gloss finish on it. That is just a personal preference.

somebodyelseuk

Okidoki...
If I'd seen this thread a year ago, I'd have told you they're a pile of shit.
I've had one since 2011. It's the only guitar I've bought over the net. It arrived, I opened the box, the finish was dull and rough. I spent a day sorting the finish out. The fret ends were rough, and I was disappointed with the skinny neck. It sustains well and sounded... about as good as any other cheap LP knockoff.
On closer inspection I found the neck isn't square to the body - looks like a twist, but IS straight.
My conclusions. Indonesia is seriously humid. I suspect the neck was machined, stored and twisted, then when it came to presenting the board they discovered it twisted, so theyflattened it with a sander, stuck the rod in, board on and glued it to the body. It appears that neck face was sanded at a slight angle, hence the skinny neck etc.
The finish, I put down to pisspoor relicing done before the finish had dried. The thing looked like someone had taken an electric sander to it and felt like a sanding block when it arrived.
The sound. There a lot of bullshit about the pickups being modelled on PAFs. They're just yer run o the mill cheap Asian humbucker, same as Tonerider, Irongear, etc etc etc. They're not specific to the model, they just wirethe neck one in the opposite way.
A couple of years back, I was bored, had done a lot of researsh on pickup construction, done some dabbling with magnets on strat pickups and got this guitar out. I ordered a pair of A4 magnets, took the covets off, got fedup chipping the wax off and threw the pickups in the oven. 50 degrees, ten minutes... nothing. 60 degrees, 20 minutes, soft, but still stuck... Sod it, 80 degrees, half an hour. That did the trick. Took em out, wiped off the excess... But the bobbins had softened and sagged slightly. Shit.
Anyway, magnets arrived, meter said they still read right, so wired it back up. Amazingly, it actually works, but even more surprisingly, it actually sounds better.
OK. Unpotting... It's actually impossible to do. The only thing that will completely remove the wax will also remove the coating on the coil wire. I won't go into the physics... Capillary action and surface tension is the basics of why.
Since then, I rewired it the Jimmy Page way.
A year ago, one of my local shop had a new one in. Pleased to report the finish is comparable with an Epiphone. If that's your budget, you shouldn't be disappointed, but don't be under any illusion that they're the equal of a Gibson.