• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Killer Sound, Finsh ? Not My Favorite, What To Do?

Well, Im close to embarrassed to be posting this, having been playing for well over 40 years, working for 30, Im new here. I've been looking for a Chambered Les Paul for awhile,
I've played quite a few, was intoxicated by the look of a Limited Edition Les Paul Premium Plus for about 15 minutes, until I played it. Then, I found a great R8, with E Bucker pickups, that comes close to my 59 sunburst. I mean the sound of this guitar is nothing short of outstanding, weighing in at 7.7 lbs. Problem solved right? Why am I have such a hard time buying an amazing sounding guitar which feels great, Im not thrilled with the finish, the look of the guitar, I feel ridiculous, and Im certainly not going to let it interfere with me purchasing the guitar but, with all the guitars I've owned, I've always a guitar that I loved the look of, as well as the sound of, this one, I dont think I can say that. So, Im going to buy it, but, does anyone identify with this dilemma? You love the sound, and feel of the guitar, but not too crazy about the finish? Im not going to get into the details, I just want to know if anyone has experienced this kind of thing. Its not an inexpensive guitar either, so.........anyway, if anyone has gone through this, I would be interested in hearing your experience. Im well aware that I'll grow into it, but I've never had this feeling.:rofl:rofl

Thundermtn

I think a lot of guys spend decades looking for the ultimate in tone with looks. You're deffinatly not the lone ranger on this one.

My take on it is that at a certain price point it also has to have the right look. There are tons of great sounding guitars that can be had for reasonable money. Unless it's better than anything else you have owned tone wise, at some point you have to pass or the guitars will be stacked to the roof.

However I also know what it's like to have an ugly duckling that is irresistible. I have three of them. Yeah I wish sometimes they were easier on the eyes, when it comes time to record I don't even think twice about what I'll take to the studio.

Is the problem the top or the color?

thin sissy

I was going to ask the same thing.

How would you feel about refinishing the top with a solid colour? This could be a great oppurtunity to get a unique and personal LP.

RnB

Would you buy a Rambler that's fast as hell...? :hmm

Seriously: For me, looks are a big part of the package. As stated above, a refin is one way to make it yours'...

I think a lot of guys spend decades looking for the ultimate in tone with looks. You're deffinatly not the lone ranger on this one.

My take on it is that at a certain price point it also has to have the right look. There are tons of great sounding guitars that can be had for reasonable money. Unless it's better than anything else you have owned tone wise, at some point you have to pass or the guitars will be stacked to the roof.

However I also know what it's like to have an ugly duckling that is irresistible. I have three of them. Yeah I wish sometimes they were easier on the eyes, when it comes time to record I don't even think twice about what I'll take to the studio.

It's the color scheme, it seems so dull, bland, it's not an eyesore, but when I buy a guitar, I'm usually thrilled to take it home and use it, this one, I'm hesitating, I've never experienced this before.

Thundermtn

Sounds like it's time to take the Pepsi challenge then.

Bring your #1 for tone run them consecutively with the same amp and settings. Preferably with your own amp that you know inside and out. Then tweak them both through the amp for their own best tone. Be honest with yourself on tone and If you can't b/c your gasing too hard bring a friend with a good ear.

If the newbie wins, spend the dough and get it refinished unless it's an investment guitar. There are very few guitars that I personally would leave stock so that is up to you on how much value you'll risk. Some stuff you don't touch. For me an R8 is fair game if it sounds amazing and is nicely figured. If a re-spray will bring it up to that dream guitar level you're set.

This is just me though, and I'll bet I get flamed for saying to refinish any CS guitar. However I do believe that if you look hard enough there are gems that they produce that are absolutely sonically superior to their peers. Head to head will let you know.

Unstablemedic

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it seems like the majority here have the same taste in color/top scheme. Les Pauls are probably the only guitar where looks matter just as much as sound and playability. To me, a guitar either has it or it doesn’t and I can live with an ugly top if it has it. We take it for granted, now, that we live in a time where we can choose these things. Back in the 50s, you got what you got, whether is was good or bad or ugly or pretty. So if you have doubt, don’t buy it.

What do I know though? I’m 28 so take what I say with a grain of salt, most of you have been playing longer than I’ve been alive.

Sounds like it's time to take the Pepsi challenge then.

Bring your #1 for tone run them consecutively with the same amp and settings. Preferably with your own amp that you know inside and out. Then tweak them both through the amp for their own best tone. Be honest with yourself on tone and If you can't b/c your gasing too hard bring a friend with a good ear.

If the newbie wins, spend the dough and get it refinished unless it's an investment guitar. There are very few guitars that I personally would leave stock so that is up to you on how much value you'll risk. Some stuff you don't touch. For me an R8 is fair game if it sounds amazing and is nicely figured. If a re-spray will bring it up to that dream guitar level you're set.

This is just me though, and I'll bet I get flamed for saying to refinish any CS guitar. However I do believe that if you look hard enough there are gems that they produce that are absolutely sonically superior to their peers. Head to head will let you know.
What you say makes a lot of sense, the thing is, my 59, is the only guitar that comes close to sounding like this, and honestly, I can't be certain which sounds better, that should be my answer right there. I'm buying this guitar because my neck is herniated in 4 places, so, I need a light Les Paul, for a Chambered guitar to have such a sound, I never would have believed it. I went in to play it yesterday, I played about 6 other Custom shop guitars for over 45 minutes before I picked up mine, purposely, to see if I would have the same reaction as the first time I picked it up, when I finally did, it was as if, I had been playing replicas, I don't say that lightly, I mean, I couldn't believe it, like night and day. I'm not new to this game, for me to have that reaction, twice, I'll buy it, I'll never find another guitar, weighing 7.4 lbs that I'd put up against my 59, I mean, I have my answer. I guess I'll always have that little boy inside of me when it comes to buying a new guitar, but, I'll make an adult decision. Thanks to all of you who helped, I'll be posting pics once I get it, than you'll see truly, just how out of my mind I am.
cheers:)

Thundermtn

Right on, sounds like you've got a winner. Going head to head with several CS guitars and clearly leading does say it all. Looking forward to pics.

On a side note if weight gets to be more of a problem later on I highly recommend trying a Tom Anderson Hollow T. Maybe not the tone you're used to but light as a feather and really nice playing.

mdubya

When a guitar plays and sounds exceptionally good, it tends to look better, to me.

For years, my 2 main guitars were gloss black. I don't particularly like black guitars, but these were the ones that were available, at the right price, which played and sounded best. One has since left the stable and been replaced, but one will never leave. And I will never change its looks. It is part of my history at this point.

Bob Womack

I've always chosen guitars by sound and have ended up with some beautiful sounding guitars that didn't start off my favorites in looks. But the thing is, a guitar that allows me to express myself will always win my affection, regardless of its looks. Enjoy it.

Bob