The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

* Nachocaster Blackguard Telecaster by Nacho Banos (Pic Heavy) *

Hey All -- Wanted to share some eye candy of my Nachocaster "Abigail", which I don't think I've shared before on LPF.

For those unfamiliar with Nacho Banos, he's considered one of the foremost experts on/students of Blackguard Teles in the world and his The Blackguard Book is considered the bible on the subject. Beyond all that, he's one hell of a Blackguard builder and simply one of the nicest human beings you'll ever talk to.

http://jklutherie.com/blackguard-tel...50-54book.aspx

http://www.theblackguardbook.com/

So... here's Abigail. The aging detail is simply MIND-BLOWINGLY gorgeous. She has Ron Ellis Blackguard pickups and a crazy comfortable, heavily aged "D" profile neck, just to push this baby that much further over the top. She sounds AMAZING through my '62 Brown Fender Super.

Here are some pics my photographer buddy took --

Nacho builds these beauties in Spain and only does them in small batches once or twice a year. He tries to keep his guitars as close to original Leo Fender spec as humanly possible and bases them on real-life examples of Blackguards he's owned, handled and/or studied. This is his life's passion.

Nacho was personally allowed to go through Leo's original handwritten papers for the '50's Blackguard Teles and Esquires and his builds reflect that research and deep understanding of these guitars. Check out the level of detail in The Blackguard Book -- it's astonishing, beyond a Ph.D. dissertation on the subject.

Nacho sometimes uses Musikraft necks and bodies, and Dan Strain/Danocaster told me he even worked with Ken at Musikraft to make the "Blackguard" line of necks they do.

Hard to verbalize how beautiful these babies are, how much gravitas they have, how RIGHT they feel and sound -- basically, shy of a $20K to $50K original, I believe Nacho's work (and Clive Brown's as well) replicate the Blackguard experience as close as possible today.

By the way, Nacho's customer service, kindness and accessibility is second to none. He's known Net wide as a great guy and a real-deal old school gentleman. Many, many veteran players can vouch for this, including myself.

But hey, like many expensive, hand-crafted specialty guitars, a Nachocaster may not be for everybody. There are plenty of great Teles out there for far less money -- I've owned two Danocasters myself and LOVE them. End of the day, I'm a huge BG fan and felt the level of detail, sound and craftsmanship made the purchase totally worthwhile for me personally. Of course, this being TGP, YMMV.

*** For all those interested, here's the TONE QUEST REPORT from 2015 on Nachocasters!

https://www.mediafire.com/?d21dzo0wai9cjpe

Nacho also just posted a brand new batch on his site. Make sure to check 'em out. He's even doing Sunbursts now! -- http://www.nachoguitars.com/guitars/.

Hope you enjoyed a little Blackguard heavy-relic eye-candy, fellas. Thanks for looking. And thanks to you Nacho for such a killer guitar! Simply brilliant.

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Re: * Nachocaster Blackguard Telecaster by Nacho Banos (Pic Heavy) *

Killer

I've wanted a nachocaster ever since I heard of em

did you get the blackguard book with it as well?

Amazing guitar, congrats!
    I just looked at his site, but there was no indication of a new batch just released...
    The one that are shown have been up there for the past months ...

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

A work of art.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Gorgeous the first telecaster I would consider !
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

Well, it's pretty beat up! Hope you got it at a player price...

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Amazing guitar, congrats!
    I just looked at his site, but there was no indication of a new batch just released...
    The one that are shown have been up there for the past months ...
    I'm pretty sure a new batch is coming out in the next couple weeks. You can always get on Nacho's email list so you get a heads-up when the new group of guitars is being released.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Minnis View Post
    I'm pretty sure a new batch is coming out in the next couple weeks. You can always get on Nacho's email list so you get a heads-up when the new group of guitars is being released.
    How?

i think I emailed Him once and got no response

Nacho is a friend of my friend, local luthier Lynn Wheelwright, who works on all of my guitars. Lynn has encyclopedic knowledge of the evolution of the electric guitar. Recently Nacho was in town working on a project with Lynn. I can't discuss the details, but it's sure going to be cool if it comes together. Lynn told me Nacho is a cool dude!

New batch "early november" was the last comminication. I think there are a couple "used" ones for sale out there at the moment also.

Quote Originally Posted by troyad View Post
    New batch "early november" was the last comminication. I think there are a couple "used" ones for sale out there at the moment also.
    ya there is one on reverb.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by troyad View Post
    Indeed, I have one for sale.

As purchased, I'm just not a maple board guy.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member slammintone's Avatar

Gorgeous. Love how the body lines look very close to an original vintage Telecaster/Nocaster yet for whatever reasons Fenders own current Tele's and vintage reissue types all have a slightly different body shaping. I really love my CS Telecasters but it wouldn't take but a second to tell them apart from a vintage one side by side just on body shape alone. I got one of Nacho's amazing Blackguard books from him earlier this year. Ahh, the pictures, the details! It's one of my most treasured possessions.

Les Paul Forum Member

Super fabulous .I have known about these wonderful instruments for sometime from Buzzy @ Lark Street Music .

Les Paul Forum Member

FYI, I received an email today that a new batch of Nachocasters are available at the nachoguitars website.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Minnis View Post
    FYI, I received an email today that a new batch of Nachocasters are available at the nachoguitars website.
    I have it on good authority that one of the Nacho Blackguards shown on his latest website update, will shortly be coming to Canada.
    Last edited by tonyj; 01-08-18 at 06:33 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

[QUOTE=tonyj;2783726]I have it on good authority that one of the Nacho Blackguards shown on his latest website update, will shortly be coming to Canada.[/QUOTE

......... meanwhile we are just as happy to await our own turn as we drool over Sgt. Steiner's Abigail. A stunningly beautiful lady indeed. Congratulations Sir, you have excellent taste.

Excellent photos too. Hope my wait is similarly rewarded. In Nacho we trust!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
    I have it on good authority that one of the Nacho Blackguards shown on his latest website update, will shortly be coming to Canada.
    The guitar has now arrived. An absolutely sublime piece of a luthier's craftsmanship and talent. I am delighted. This is art and technology at it's very best and all in one package. Thank you Nacho!