• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a classic, custom classic, or a fake.....

Burnscs

So, got a chance to score this guitar for $800. From what the seller says, the bridge is not stock, but everything else is. To me it looks like possibly a 1999 Gibson Classic that was either made in the custom shop as part of their mahogany classic series, or a classic that had its pick-guard, TRC changed out, and a fake custom shop sticker put on it. Seems like a LOT to go through for a guitar that wouldn't carry THAT much more value than a normal classic. It is a cinnamon burst, and doesn't seem to be a plus top. From what I gather the plus tops had this sticker and the mahogany run had a translucent red model but not a cinnamon burst. What are your guys thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

MeHereNow

Just like 4 days ago, in your other thread about this same guitar:

contact gibson customer service and inquire about the serial number.

Burnscs

Just like 4 days ago, in your other thread about this same guitar:

contact gibson customer service and inquire about the serial number.
Thanks for the reply again! I did contact them and they said they can verify by the serial that it is a classic, but they couldn't pin point if it is a custom shop mahahony classic that was produced in the 90's. Those models had Classic on the headstock, but not on the TRC, and they didn't have 1960 on the pick guard. Once again thanks for the input!

Thundermtn

I cant tell from the pics but it would seem to me that it would need to have a mahogany top to even have that attached to the name. What do the back of the pups look like? All the mahogany classics I looked at on the net had zebra '57's in them.

I'm betting if it's a maple top with 496R and 500T it's a regular classic doctored to bring more $ at sale.

I'm not an expert on the CS sticker year to year but the ones I saw on the real deal's, the word "shop" in the bottom ring of the seal was centered (splitting 6 o'clock between the letter h and o) up without the star and bar next to it and were more gold in color.

Either way it looks like a real Gibson to me, and for $800, nice buy!

Burnscs

I cant tell from the pics but it would seem to me that it would need to have a mahogany top to even have that attached to the name. What do the back of the pups look like? All the mahogany classics I looked at on the net had zebra '57's in them.

I'm betting if it's a maple top with 496R and 500T it's a regular classic doctored to bring more $ at sale.

I'm not an expert on the CS sticker year to year but the ones I saw on the real deal's, the word "shop" in the bottom ring of the seal was centered (splitting 6 o'clock between the letter h and o) up without the star and bar next to it and were more gold in color.

Either way it looks like a real Gibson to me, and for $800, nice buy!
Thanks for the input! That's the same way I'm leaning! Weird that someone would go through that much work to switch pick guard trc and put on a fake sticker when they sell at very similar ranges.

FEG1198

This is a 1960 Tribute Classic. The decal @ the back was added later.

Thundermtn

He was flipping this guitar, saw it on Reverb. He did call it out for what it was correctly, hope it goes/went well.

Burnscs

He was flipping this guitar, saw it on Reverb. He did call it out for what it was correctly, hope it goes/went well.
Yes I am sellling this, I have a vintageburst from '00 and was looking for a cheap custom shop Les Paul. Still a great playing and sounding guitar for $800!

ajay taylor

I'm sorry I was wrong about the knob location. I wasn't trying to knock Your guitar. Good luck with the sale. My eyes are crooked, not Your guitar.

Classic

The guitar looks very much like a classic although the colour looks very dark. There were a number of Classics made in the Custom Shop and I don’t think all of them were mahogony although The photos are inconclusive.

A view of the pickups and back of the guitar may reveal more.