• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

50s / Modern / 61 Reissue Wiring Diagrams - do these make sense..?

Tigel Nufnel

Hi guys, I've lurked around this forum for a while now and it's been an invaluable source of information and help to me but this is my first actual post..I hope it will be of some help to other people who find themselves with the same questions as me!

So, I'm about to rewire my SG '61 Reissue because previous incompetent soldering jobs (by yours truly) have made it a right mess in there :dang

I also fancy trying 500k pots on the volume as I think mine will turn out to be 300k according to other posts I've seen here.

Well, I've opted to try 50s wiring (and what that seems to come in different flavours too!) and I thought I'd run this past more experienced eyes first. :hmm

In the pictures that follow I've included pickup, switch, volume pot, tone pot and tone cap for a single humbucker (that's enough to help me out!) and I'm assuming the volume lugs go left-to-right 1, 2, 3 and tone lugs go left-to-right 3, 2, 1 (because the pot is upside down) -

P = from Pickup
S = to Switch
V = Volume
T = Tone

And I've added what I *think* is an electronic schematic for each drawing (I'm a total noob at this), I'd be grateful if you can please point out any mistakes in them! :##

Firstly, when I investigated my present wiring more closely I saw a configuration that I haven't seen in the modern vs 50s diagrams I've found around the net.

My '61 RI is wired like this, which looks like Modern but with a twist...

uZtUknWm.jpg

You can see the tone capacitor is wired from Tone lug 2 to ground (the back of the tone pot) but usually I see it between Volume lug 1 and Tone lug 3 like this -

8b2zMqZm.jpg

Is there any functional/tonal difference between the two configurations?

The configuration I intend to wire is this one -

VuqXn64m.jpg

Which is just Modern but with the tone cap coming from Volume lug 2, thereby rolling of the highs AFTER the volume drop.

I'm not sure this counts as purist 50s wiring but the position of the tone control is the crucial difference between the two for me.

Is this 50s version OK or should I swap the position of the tone cap with the vol -> tone wire (essentially doing what the 61 RI does with the Modern)?

I hope that all makes sense and many thanks in advance for correcting my ignorance, long live the forum, it rocks here! :dude:

Cheers