• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

J-45 with Hummingbird pickguard

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here's a 1964 J-45 with [what appears to be] a factory Hummingbird pickguard! :wow

Gibson_J-45_19642C_Hummingbird_pg.JPG

Has anyone ever seen one that they knew [or were sure] it was original? :hmm

F-Hole

Today I learned that anything's possible Tom. Just saw a guitar that sat me on my ass.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Normally I would not doubt this. But, that pickguard "defines" the Hummingbird model.

Maybe another good question is ... can the pickguard be dated?
Were there changes that came over the years?
:hmm

VamboRool

The Gibson Fabulous Flattop book mentions that there was a brief period that the P/Gs were screwed to the top instead of being glued. Wondering if you took a really bright light that you might be able to see thru the P/G and maybe see where the smaller more traditional J-45 P/G was if this Hummingbird guard is not from the factory.

Arch D. Bunker

Did ya blacklight it Tom?

I guess you then would likely see some signs of the original pickguard showing up IF there was one before the current guard.

But even if there aren't any signs, you cannot tell if this HB guard is original for sure I guess, since Gibson stopped finishing clear lacquer over the pickguards on acoustics when they moved to the thicker plastic guards around 1963/4. Before that time, replacing an original guard would be much easier to spot.

At least the pic gives the impression that the HB guard has been one there from day 1. Could also have been one of the factory guys upgrading his own J-45..

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I didn't black light it. I will try to do it next time I see it [in a few weeks].

I did look under the top and it is not covering damage.
And, I shined a light through the pickguard and could not see much, but I did not see evidence of a J-45 guard.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I just got a good look at another J-45 and the typical pickguard would have left an imprint [evidence of some kind] outside the lines of the Hummingbird pickguard.
I'm leaning further towards originality. :hmm