• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NICE!! Comparison of 15 different Les Pauls ('52 up to '08)

hogy

Tell me again why people feel the need to "convert" P-90 Les Pauls?

The '53 sounded best to me.

StSpider

Such a cool video. I look forward to listening to it again with decent monitors at home, however, from what I heard with earphones, I really like the 52 and the 53 (you can really hear the trapeze of the 52 in some riffs tho), also the 57 sounds great and so does the three pickups custom to me. Not so impressed with the 58/59.

1955Junior

That '73 didn't originally come with large humbuckers - did it? It may have been custom ordered that way - but more than likely it's a routed Deluxe. Not that it makes a big deal - but it would be interesting to know what pickups are in that guitar.

Progrocker111

That '73 didn't originally come with large humbuckers - did it? It may have been custom ordered that way - but more than likely it's a routed Deluxe. Not that it makes a big deal - but it would be interesting to know what pickups are in that guitar.

Actually there were some factory Standards made in 72, more in 73 and even more in 74, prior to official Standard reintroducing in 76. All had the same specs as LP Deluxe line, only difference was T-Top pickups instead of minihumbuckers.

goldtop0

'53 '59 '58 '68 '08 in that order............ I like a bit of bottom end and clarity.

What a good clip........thanks:2cool

goldtop0

I get your point, but couldn't one argue that each guitar should have their individual optimal setup in order to compare them?

No not necessarily as you've got to compare apples with apples here, either acoustically or with the same amp settings.
If you're choosing a guitar in a store side by side that's what you would do.
I've played some really not so great vintage LPs that were setup and underwhelming........ it's a reality check for sure:dang

Last edited:

copernicus

As far as I'm concerned, Gibson got it right the first time around and this video proves it. In 1957, out went the hum and with it, much of the spank and sparkle that make P90's so desirable. I can understand why Les Paul himself never really liked humbuckers and decided to take the low impedance route instead. While I'm the first to agree a Burst is a thing of absolute beauty, anyone who puts on a blindfold and randomly scrolls through these 15 Les Pauls, must agree that soundwise, they're just a tad overrated. One may also conclude that polyurethane paint and ceramic magnets weren't particularly beneficial to the tone of seventies Les Pauls, but then again, beauty and tone are in the eye and ear of the beholder. There's a Les Paul for everyone!

Tarcisioo

One may also conclude that polyurethane paint and ceramic magnets weren't particularly beneficial to the tone of seventies Les Pauls

Polyurethane? That's a new one to me.

From my knowledge, Gibson always used nitro based finishes, always. With an exception from a very few guitars in the 90s

Anyone knows for a fact?

Progrocker111

One may also conclude that polyurethane paint and ceramic magnets weren't particularly beneficial to the tone of seventies Les Pauls, but then again, beauty and tone are in the eye and ear of the beholder. There's a Les Paul for everyone!

No poly finishes in 70s and certainly no ceramic magnets in early 70s Les Pauls. :) In fact, early 70s T-Tops are still very similar to late PAFs in construction and even tone.