• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Supermodelling

sonar

I usually avoid watching these type of vids, but I watched this one.

Pretty close, although the older amps (Marshalls and the projector amp) were noticeably sweeter in the top end, even when compressed down to dumb youtube quality. The noise gate(s) they were using kind of threw me off and you can't "real feel" unless you're in the room, so... whatever. Overall, not bad.

I would think the refine mode is a little redundant in a studio with real rooms? You already have an amp and mic set up in a room to your liking, but let's emulate it so the Kemper can make a sonic abstraction of the same thing? I understand the potential for portability, but if you have a studio that can mic up a real amp, why bother with modelling? Or, if you can emulate your tone at home, why bother going to a studio...

sorry, a little rambling on my part. Just trying to work through this. :##

I'm not really going for those types of tones in the video anymore unless I'm asked to (especially the cleans) but I'll admit the top end modelers like the Kemper do those tones well (enough) and are far superior to the Line 6 junk that was around as recently as 5 years ago.

I've used an Axe Fx in studio environments and they're fine. Nothing I get really excited about, but they are very practical and I guess good enough to fool most people without an AB comparison. Because it's all about fooling people nowadays. :rolleyes

Basically, a quality modeller shouldn't hinder the joy of playing guitar, which to me they don't. Some might even feel inspired with the features and options of a Fractal or Kemper... and that's great. Me? I'm old and set in my ways.

All said, modelling is just another tool that we can use when appropriate, and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. I still kind of hate them (really more about what they represent as opposed to the advanced technology) but if I have to use them...

whatever.

Wally

I'll take all of the amps over the Kemper profiles....but....IF one is looking for quick versatilty in one package, I can see the Kemper being of use.