• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90 pickup - changes through out the 60's

Dynaman

Im looking to get a 60'5 SG Jr. It looks like the pickups changed in '66, as did the pickguard etc. What I want to know is did the specs of the P90 change during anytime in the 60's, and does the sound change over this 10yr period?
Scott

Progrocker111

From my experience late 60s P90s have a bit more trebly tone and are a bit thinner sounding than early to mid 60s. Not a big difference though...

frazettafan

I think Prog' is right about the sound of the later ones. I'd try to get a pre-65 with the earlier pickguard if I were you. The nest joint changed radically in the later part of the decade and it's not great imho.

Dynaman

There's a fair price difference too between early 60's and later 60's ones. I was born in 65 so I might look for a birth year guitar.

Why the change in construction of the next joint?