• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Slash “First Standard” 8-3096

SDLespaul

I'm still considering this guitar. Does anyone on the forum have one and can give me their opinion on it? Thanks very much in advance.

Just purchased an aged one. It should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know!

SDLespaul

Just received it. Took a few photos and played it for a while. LOVE this guitar. Sounds and plays great! I really only have a 2014 Traditional to compare it to and while the Traditional is just an absolute dream guitar, this one is on another level for me. I really like the aged one for the fact that I'm not afraid of a tiny blemish happening when I play it haha. We all know at this price point the law of diminishing returns takes over when comparing it to regular standards but it really is something special. This one is 003 of 100 so I think the eye for detail & effort was still extremely high when producing it (Not to say #100 wasn't made well but you get the idea)! Let me know if you want any other specific areas photographed of it. As far as how many aged ones were for sale, I only saw one in Germany, one in the Netherlands I think, and one in Canada. I snagged the one from Canada. Getting it back into the country was quite a hassle!

Jk4Oiaw.png

sxpEPsY.png

nbHUX01.jpg

v1MT5dV.jpg

v5AuCLJ.jpg

s9ucAZZ.jpg

vic a

I have a vos which plays nice. There are some minor craftsmanship issues. But nice guitar

Rosengoo

Thanks everybody for the responses and the great photos. OBLP, if I may ask, did you have to pay a premium on the guitar from Canada and was the hassle about the rosewood? Also, what is your opinion on the future value of these guitars down the road in case you have to (or want to ) trade it in for something else?

SDLespaul

Thanks everybody for the responses and the great photos. OBLP, if I may ask, did you have to pay a premium on the guitar from Canada and was the hassle about the rosewood? Also, what is your opinion on the future value of these guitars down the road in case you have to (or want to ) trade it in for something else?

I didn't have to pay extra to have it reimported. Just for shipping. The hassle was a CITES permit for the rosewood, another importation/exportation permit, and then a power of attorney for UPS to receive it. I have no idea on future value and I wouldn't venture to guess. All I know is its an extremely limited production guitar so I don't see the value diminishing in the future. Depends on what happens in the guitar world/market in the future that will have the largest impact on its value. :peace2

Last edited:

porterburst

Just received it. Took a few photos and played it for a while. LOVE this guitar. Sounds and plays great! I really only have a 2014 Traditional to compare it to and while the Traditional is just an absolute dream guitar, this one is on another level for me. I really like the aged one for the fact that I'm not afraid of a tiny blemish happening when I play it haha. We all know at this price point the law of diminishing returns takes over when comparing it to regular standards but it really is something special. This one is 003 of 100 so I think the eye for detail & effort was still extremely high when producing it (Not to say #100 wasn't made well but you get the idea)! Let me know if you want any other specific areas photographed of it. As far as how many aged ones were for sale, I only saw one in Germany, one in the Netherlands I think, and one in Canada. I snagged the one from Canada. Getting it back into the country was quite a hassle!

Jk4Oiaw.png

sxpEPsY.png

nbHUX01.jpg

v1MT5dV.jpg

v5AuCLJ.jpg

s9ucAZZ.jpg

Sweet LP, good for you!!! :dude:

I played and an aged one last December and almost purchased it, but by the time I made up my mind someone had grabbed it. I noticed the tail piece is up pretty high, was it ship that way? The one I played had the tailpiece all the way down to the body.

SDLespaul

Sweet LP, good for you!!! :dude:

I played and an aged one last December and almost purchased it, but by the time I made up my mind someone had grabbed it. I noticed the tail piece is up pretty high, was it ship that way? The one I played had the tailpiece all the way down to the body.

Thank you. Yes, it was shipped this way. From what I can tell from the actual original the tailpiece is up off the body as well.

Left: Slash's original/Right: prototype
jlBwtYQ.png

Arnold M.

Slash First Standard VOS

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35

Arnold M.

Slash First Standard

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 23

SDLespaul

Slash First Standard VOS

Interesting. Did you buy it pre-owned? From what I can tell on both Gibson's website and the VOS ones for sale on Reverb, the bridge and saddles should be facing backwards. Thats funny because a few people in the mylespaul forums mentioned the bridge on mine being wrong but due to the fact that it is an exact replica of Slash's it is correct to be facing backwards.

Arnold M.

Interesting. Did you buy it pre-owned? From what I can tell on both Gibson's website and the VOS ones for sale on Reverb, the bridge and saddles should be facing backwards. Thats funny because a few people in the mylespaul forums mentioned the bridge on mine being wrong but due to the fact that it is an exact replica of Slash's it is correct to be facing backwards.

I bought it brand spanking new form a large store, the bridge and saddle screws were indeed facing backwards, just as the website shows, it was a recipe for disaster. The tailpiece was bottomed out touching the wood, the strings behind the bridge were bent at a severe angle due to interference from the saddle screws. Deep slash in each saddle screw from the string cutting into it from what looked like severe downward force. Left that way I am sure it would have resulted in A) the bridge post bending, (leaning) or B) the bridge "collapsing" from downward string pressure. I simply reversed the ABR bridge installation to the more "normal" method and raised the tailpiece off the wood a bit Problems gone. Believe me, I have measured a lot of Gibson bridges that were collapsed. Should I ever decide to sell it I can simply put the bridge back to the way Slash allegedly has his.

SDLespaul

I bought it brand spanking new form a large store, the bridge and saddle screws were indeed facing backwards, just as the website shows, it was a recipe for disaster. .... Believe me, I have measured a lot of Gibson bridges that were collapsed. Should I ever decide to sell it I can simply put the bridge back to the way Slash allegedly has his.

Oh okay, gotcha. :dude: So far mine doesn't look to be near as extreme at the bend.

Rosengoo

Can anyone help with an opinion on how the prices of these have been going? Still thinking about acquiring a NOS version. Thanks.

Arnold M.

I bought mine brand new .. the VOS ones sold for $6,000 USD MSRP when new, I believe they made 125 of the numbered VOS guitars ... there are 4 that I saw on Ebay today at $8,873 USD, 8,134 USD, 8853.99 USD and $8,860.99 USD respectively ... joke prices .. I certainly would never pay more than 6K for one and even that's a stretch ... someone from Italy I believe, is asking 34K for one of the aged, signed guitars ... to this guy the 2019 60th Anniv. Les Paul is much better value for money ..

Pkantor

Does anyone know what the numbers around the Gibson custom logo on the switch cover mean, if anything?

Rosengoo

These now seem to be creeping up in price. For anybody that has one, are you still happy with it. I need to make a decision on a non aged one. Thank you.

SDLespaul

These now seem to be creeping up in price. For anybody that has one, are you still happy with it. I need to make a decision on a non aged one. Thank you.

Still own mine. Play it a ton. Still love it! Its the best feeling/playing Les Paul I own.

Arnold M.

I bought one new in Dec. 2017 ... still have it ... it's my only guitar .. no regrets .. the neck is pretty beefy though