• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

‘60s pelham blue SG Standards - how many?

AlienVintage

Is there any consensus regarding just how many pelham blue SG Standards were made in the ‘60s?

I am talking about SG Standards, as opposed to SG Juniors, SG Specials, and/or SG-body-style Melody Makers.

As a sub-question to this, I am curious how many were made with the “early” body and neck specs: specifically, the small rear control cavity route, and the wide 1 11/16 inch nut width. (I know there was also the switch from nickel to chrome in ‘65, but I don’t really care about that in particular... I’m more curious about the body and neck specs).

The vintage price guide refers to ‘64s, but so far I have yet to see a true ‘64 - the earliest I have seen is early/mid ‘65.

In fact, most of the documented ones I have seen are late ‘65s (serial numbers over 5xxxxx), with the large control cavity and the narrower nut (1 5/8 or 1 9/16).

Some (including the first one of the two that Norm’s sold last year) are actually ‘66 specs, with the long neck joint (while still having the small pickguard).

Anyway... in summary, I am curious if anyone has a good handle on how many, in total, pelham blue SG Standards were made in the ‘60s, whether that indeed started in ‘64, or not until ‘65. I am also curious about how many of those had the “early” specs of the small control cavity and wide 1 11/16 nut width. Thanks!

AlienVintage

Anyone?

I know there are a couple of ‘60s PB SG Standards floating around out there in the hands of forum members...

garywright

it would be interesting to know how many were painted pelham in each model ( junior, special and custom ) ...i recall Gruhn's having a '65 (?) Special years ago and I believe a couple years back CME had an original late 6Os batwinged standard that looked fantastic in pelham

Fried okra

I talked with David at Songbirds earlier, and he said about a hundred.😳

Fried okra

I found this on David Plues site. It was a lot built, So it’s possible near 100 standards were built. :hmm

DariStar

Hey guys, I know its an old thread, but for those of us that really dig Pelham Blue, its still relevant.
I do not see how we will ever know unless complete logs are available that actually list them by color.
OK, if there were about 4000 SG Standards made in 64-66 , I imagine much less than 1 of 40 were Pelham Blue.
But if the Juniors and Specials were added into the 100 number , that would seem too low, but maybe not, in 25 years of looking I used to see
quite a few Juniors , but not nearly as many Specials. I regrettably let at least 5 Specials slip away from my grasp.
My Pelham Blue Standard is likely a early-mid 65', but the pot codes are all solder past the 65. It has a wide nut (1 11/16) and Nickel hardware.
Without the wide nut I honestly would not even want an SG of any color. I have a 66/67 Pelham Blue Non-Reverse Firebird I ,
it has the transition medium nut and even that is almost too small for my fingers.

Last edited:

DariStar

As far as 67-69, I never have seen a large guard in Pelham Blue, but I imagine they exist? Plenty of Juniors and Specials and gobs of Melody Makers.

Last edited:

garywright

DariStar ..how bout sharing a pic of your ‘65 pelham std ..there’s a lot of pb fans here

DariStar

DariStar ..how bout sharing a pic of your ‘65 Pelham std ..there’s a lot of pb fans here
Hey Gary, yeah I should take some good pics and post em'. I will try to do that sometime soon. I'm not so great with computers and am working on a post about some info I just ran across about 65' Pelham SG's numbers. Some great pics, the info, I am just not so sure about. Is there really a way to know for sure how many were produced in 1965, do the ledgers actually have this info?

DariStar

I do have a recent pic I took of the nut with calipers after a well known, prestigious, yet seemingly now clownish outfit tried to tell me it was a narrow nut...they have really lost my respect and gone downhill in most aspects. I've heard it said...if you want a screwin' go to.......
I tried to "attach file" and to "drop image" and got the "upload file is too large for the server to process" both ways...what? Its just a iPhone 7 photo.

Last edited:

DariStar

This not mine. I found this on the net today randomly searching, I had somehow never run across it.
Great pics, the info...well Im not so sure about. Is there really a way to know this for sure?
Seems to be loading...if I can attach all this why not my one iPhone pic?

The text on the web page says~

" 1965 Gibson SG Standard with incredibly rare Pelham Blue finish. This is 1 of only 6 Pelham SG Standards that were produced in 1965.
It has the wider nut width of 1 11/16. All original and totally unmolested. I purchased this from the son of the original owner.
This is one of the coolest guitars I have ever seen !!! "

https://flyingvguitars.weebly.com/50s--60s.html

Attachments

• 74850_orig.jpg
    74850_orig.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 165619_orig.jpg
    165619_orig.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 329824_orig.jpg
    329824_orig.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 4664289_orig.jpg
    4664289_orig.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 5006566.jpg
    5006566.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 6242519_orig.jpg
    6242519_orig.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 6797162_orig.jpg
    6797162_orig.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 6878667_orig.jpg
    6878667_orig.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

jb_abides

Dare I intrude upon this thread with some cool pics of a non-vintage recent reissue?

Note this is Murphy Lab Ultra Light aging. No apparent greening in that version... perhaps a smidge of fade from more vibrant PB?

I wonder if you can dial-in yellowing/fade finish separate from how aggressive the relic'ing is on ML guitars?

Machts Nichts for me, as a southpaw I'd have to go Made-to-Measure as the basis for a ML, like this one.

mykjvtafmhpqate01sbc.jpg

Dire Wolf aka Alex from Lefty Vintage Guitars just listed a M2M he commissioned (I am not affiliated with Alex).

More great pics in the Reverb listing

Last edited: