• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Original vintage lea Paul tuners? Need help Identifying plz

Stratman

I recently acquired a set of tuners from my great uncle, he claims them to be the originals off a late 50s-early 60s sunburst les paul. He said he upgraded the tuners and these got stuck in a old box until recently. I'm just curious what year they were possibly off of and if they have any value. Thanks guys and glad to be a new member! Seems like a great forum.15081853029161544943654.jpg1508185491922907378284.jpg15081856111212097813647.jpg

BURSTGANG

Gibson "SUNBURST" Les Paul Jr. [And others]..............if it was a Les Paul model that they came from......................single line 3 on a plate Klusons. Asking prices vary................ look on Ebay, there are a bunch of originals and reissue Klusons on there.

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Made [approximately] from 1956 to 1964.
The only "sunburst" colored Les Paul they are correct for is a single cut Les Paul Junior. The last of those were from 1959.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Too add more, those keys were used on dozens of other guitars and brands.
Lots of 50's Kay and Harmony made guitars [for their own brand and others] have been donors for sets like that.

Not super rare, but really nice old keys for restoration.
Maybe find that Les Paul they came off of, and restore it. :ganz

Stratman

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the info. Surprisingly these things still move very freely and the buttons seem to be in excellent shape. After you guys gave possible ID's I read that these were notorious for the buttons breaking off or shrinking up. Also that its a possibility they have been rebuttoned ( if that's the correct term). He did confirm the guitar was very new when he swapped them, is it possible being in a old cigar box saved the buttons from deteriorating as other sets do? I did show him a picture of a Les Paul junior in "sunburst"?, which honestly seemed more of a tobacco burst to me? He confirmed its what they were removed from. Which lead to the story of him trading the junior for a SEARS AND ROEBUCK guitar case/ tube amplifier, that also included a lap steel guitar instead of the mini "danelectro" guitar I found out it originally held. Surprisingly he still has the guitar case/amp combo, unfortunately the lap steel is long gone! Its the first time he's showed it to me and its a great little amp!! I plugged a strat into it and its not very loud but it has a very nice springy sound and farther inspection of the internals show it is all point to point hand wired! It doesn't include any sound shaping, just a volume control and 3 vacuum tubes. It seems all original except the speaker, which he said he changed several years ago along with the inverter. He does claim to have the original speaker around somewhere. Ill add some pictures when I upload them from my camera if anyones interested in it.

corpse

The reaction comes from the material or adhesive in the case. Well that is the case with the larger Knutson single tuners anyway.