• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help from SG Experts

Gold295

After years as a Les Paul guy, I finally got a Tweedy SG. I've always wanted to like SGs more than I have. I've always found them hit or miss, the neck variations freak me out, they often feel wrong... but, you know, lotsa cool players favor 'em and they look wicked, right? But I never loved playing them.

this Tweedy has completely changed my mind. I love it in every way, it makes me play better, it's tone suits the kinda stuff I play arguably better than an LP.

so that's all great. I still love Les Paul's, but the band I'm in makes an SG ideal (heavy old school psych rock).

Trouble is, half our stuff is in C# standard so that's always demanded a second companion guitar for shows and stuff. I have a cheap epiphone SG in C# that I've always left at the spot for practice and long story short I want to get a good SG that I like as much as the Tweedy for live and stuff.

but I'm having a hell of a time finding one as good as the Tweedy. I tried a 2013, but the inlays were coming up out of the board and overall it felt wrong. I also tried a 2009 but I wasn't crazy about it. All the current production standards seem lacking. Hard to find a vintage at the stores in town.

so, my question:

whats a better bet? A custom shop VOS or one of these storied 90s models?

I'm lucky to own some great Les Pauls--I got a 2007 R9, an 81 Custom that's okay, and a great 80? 81? Greco goldtop that I love. All great necks, great finishes, amazing sound and everything. I would put the Tweedy alongside these guitars.

i know from my R9 that VOS quality is pretty spectacular, but these 90s ones seem pretty legendary--and they're a good bit less expensive!

and of the 90s, generally speaking, should I be looking exclusively at 89-94 or is a 99 just as good?

i know every guitar is different, but overall, in your experience, what would you say is gonna deliver more bang for the buck? Thanks for your opinions!

tl;dr: Custom Shop VOS SG or 1990s SG?

zombiwoof

I have a '92 Standard in the limited Blue Metallic finish (slightly darker than Pelham), it has the '59 rounded neck profile, nickel hardware, CTS pots and none of the circuit board crap that is in many of the later guitars. I love it, it has the 490/498 pickups in it, and the only thing I want to change out is the stupid 300k linear pots for tones. Big pickguard, but I like those, despite the common feelings against them that seem to dominate here.
Al

After years as a Les Paul guy, I finally got a Tweedy SG. I've always wanted to like SGs more than I have. I've always found them hit or miss, the neck variations freak me out, they often feel wrong... but, you know, lotsa cool players favor 'em and they look wicked, right? But I never loved playing them.

this Tweedy has completely changed my mind. I love it in every way, it makes me play better, it's tone suits the kinda stuff I play arguably better than an LP.

so that's all great. I still love Les Paul's, but the band I'm in makes an SG ideal (heavy old school psych rock).

Trouble is, half our stuff is in C# standard so that's always demanded a second companion guitar for shows and stuff. I have a cheap epiphone SG in C# that I've always left at the spot for practice and long story short I want to get a good SG that I like as much as the Tweedy for live and stuff.

but I'm having a hell of a time finding one as good as the Tweedy. I tried a 2013, but the inlays were coming up out of the board and overall it felt wrong. I also tried a 2009 but I wasn't crazy about it. All the current production standards seem lacking. Hard to find a vintage at the stores in town.

so, my question:

whats a better bet? A custom shop VOS or one of these storied 90s models?

I'm lucky to own some great Les Pauls--I got a 2007 R9, an 81 Custom that's okay, and a great 80? 81? Greco goldtop that I love. All great necks, great finishes, amazing sound and everything. I would put the Tweedy alongside these guitars.

i know from my R9 that VOS quality is pretty spectacular, but these 90s ones seem pretty legendary--and they're a good bit less expensive!

and of the 90s, generally speaking, should I be looking exclusively at 89-94 or is a 99 just as good?

i know every guitar is different, but overall, in your experience, what would you say is gonna deliver more bang for the buck? Thanks for your opinions!

tl;dr: Custom Shop VOS SG or 1990s SG?

frazettafan

A friend of mine has a Custom Shop VOS model. He's done a few mods to it, it actually has Duncan Antiquity pickups in it and it is an outstanding guitar. I feel that the fretboard is a little kind of bland feeling as I'm used to the ones on my old SG juniors but that aside it really is cool. We tried it against another mates re-fin '64 .standard and it sounded as good to my ears, especially since he put the .duncans in there. Good luck with whatever you go for.

Gold295

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I posted this same question over on thegearpage and a select contingent went berserk, accusing me of hating Gibsons, rabidly defending the current Gibsons prod models, etc when I just wanted to know if anyone could compare 90s to VOS. It was WEIRD.

So I really appreciate it!

CAGinLA

Custom Shop models from the past two decades - but especially since 2014 - are far superior to 90s SGs in my opinion.

YMMV, every guitar is unique, play before you buy, blah blah blah.

frazettafan

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I posted this same question over on thegearpage and a select contingent went berserk, accusing me of hating Gibsons, rabidly defending the current Gibsons prod models, etc when I just wanted to know if anyone could compare 90s to VOS. It was WEIRD.

So I really appreciate it!

Haha, yeah, I saw that. You handled it really well I thought. Must be shareholders or something but knickers got twisted there for a while.

Let us know what you get in the end.

Gold295

Haha, yeah, I saw that. You handled it really well I thought. Must be shareholders or something but knickers got twisted there for a while.

Let us know what you get in the end.

Thanks! Thats a good theory, I was thinking paid moles, but either way--it was something!

i am going with a 99 RI and a 2011 Custom Shop.

Hopefully the 99 will do the trick and I can return the Custom Shop.

Either way I should get something good out of this approach.

Big Al

VOS is not a model nor a build spec. It only refers to a finish treatment.

Gold295

So I ordered a beautiful 1999 RI from Japan but they "dropped and smashed" it in shipping. I'm assuming trouble with customs over the Wood.

Had a 2006 Custom shop on the line but lost it to somebody willing to pay a few bucks more.

yesterday received a black 1996 Standard which is nicked up but BEAUTIFUL, had a great neck, feels SUBSTANTIAL and reliable and responsive in ways that no late-period Gibby has, that I've played.

I love it.

im not nuts about the pickups but I ordered a pair of Wolfetone Marshallheads so that should remedy that.

anybody know what pups came standard on these in 96?

I still can't shake the "but what would an early 2000s Custom Shop feel like?" Feeling.

also wonder how a 90s RI would suit me, like the one that got "smashed" (the seller since reposted it, looking nice and intact).

for now, though, this thing is plenty nice.

ill post a pic later...

Gold295

ill post a pic later...

And here you go.

GzyFAXZ.jpg

DaveSG

Great choice. I like this era of SGs, but each guitar will be different. I've owned a couple different custom shop SGs. One had been sitting on the showroom floor forever because it felt dead and the truss rod didn't work well. Was one of, if not the best sounding SG I've ever heard. It was a 2005 SG/LP 62 RI (from the GC run, w/ grovers). I stupidly sold it.

The second one was a 2007 SG/LP that I picked up from Centre City Music in San Diego, trying to capture what I missed from that 05. Was a bland guitar, never really bonded, later sold it.

Custom shop guitars are hit and miss as well.

Owned an '03 Standard. Loved the neck on it. Not huge, but nice and round - super comfortable. Sounds like your '96 is comparable.

I actually prefer the large guard SGs. When they transitioned to the small guard in 2013, they made other changes to the guitar. The headstocks got larger (ala a 61 reissue) and the neck angle changed (very shallow) to the point where a lot of these guitars, in the store brand new, had high action with the bridge being totally bottomed out against the body. Also the necks got pretty thin, which wasn't my thing.

All in all, I love the feel of a nice rounded neck, large guard SG:yah:hank

Gold295

Great choice. I like this era of SGs, but each guitar will be different. I've owned a couple different custom shop SGs. One had been sitting on the showroom floor forever because it felt dead and the truss rod didn't work well. Was one of, if not the best sounding SG I've ever heard. It was a 2005 SG/LP 62 RI (from the GC run, w/ grovers). I stupidly sold it.

The second one was a 2007 SG/LP that I picked up from Centre City Music in San Diego, trying to capture what I missed from that 05. Was a bland guitar, never really bonded, later sold it.

Custom shop guitars are hit and miss as well.

Owned an '03 Standard. Loved the neck on it. Not huge, but nice and round - super comfortable. Sounds like your '96 is comparable.

I actually prefer the large guard SGs. When they transitioned to the small guard in 2013, they made other changes to the guitar. The headstocks got larger (ala a 61 reissue) and the neck angle changed (very shallow) to the point where a lot of these guitars, in the store brand new, had high action with the bridge being totally bottomed out against the body. Also the necks got pretty thin, which wasn't my thing.

All in all, I love the feel of a nice rounded neck, large guard SG:yah:hank

thanks--it is really nice, although the pups are a little tart and squawky.

i just ordered an 06 Custom shop LP/SG, based on early 2000s year and a really nicely faded cherry finish! They gave me a 7 day return option, so we will see. Even if I keep it, I may keep the 96 too. I really like it! If it takes these Wolfetones well, it's going to be killer!

Rare Form

Sorry if I am late to the post. I don't frequent here much any more.

So,I have always been a Les Paul fan. I have had many historics over the years. I ended up selling most of them except two. I kept the 2014 R0 because it is amazing and I just sold my 2010 50th anniversary. I have A Lifeson Les Paul and the R0.

However and much to my surprise, I have three SGs and one on the way. One is a 2013 CS 1961 Reissue and two are 2014 CS 1961 Reissues and I have a 2016 M2M 1961 Reissue on the way. Why so many? Because I have on in C# tuning (White) and one in Eb Tuning (Cherry) and one in standard tuning (Pelham Blue) and the one on the way is Ebony which will be in standard tuning as well.

Since 2013, the CS SGs (1961 Les Paul Reissues) are amazing. They have all the appointments of the 2013/2014 Les Paul Reissues but are not insanely priced. They feel great, sound great and are so easy to play. I never thought I would like an SG as back in the 80s an 90s they were neck heavy and did not sound that great, now they are my favorite axe. Love them. Worth every bit.

EFLOW

An Ebony SG Standard is a great choice, the body is heavier than a '61 RI they are well balanced .