• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall 1970 Super Bass 100 Watt

kerryboy

I picked up this old road warrior. I just couldn’t pass it bye. I have just got it home so I haven’t had the chance to put it through its paces yet as we have family staying at the moment, but from what I have heard so far it sounds amazing. Can’t wait to crank it up..

It’s a 1970 Marshall 100 watt Super Bass and I believe it’s a Mk1.

I can’t make up my mind whether to leave it like this or send it off to be recovered. I have a vintage handle in my parts drawer, so that’s sorted.

Strangely the front panel is in very good condition and the back panel only needs a bit of tolex glued down. So any recovering would be to the main shell only. I’m more or less just up the road from the Marshall factory, so I might take it to them and have a conversation with them about it. I reckon that if they recover the shell, then I could clean up the front and back panels and the match might be pretty close. Or should I just glue down what can be glued down and keep it as stock as I can.

I will get round to taking some internals in the next week or so, but from what I can see thus far, everything in the back looks original (except the valves). The power socket has been changed and the Ohms selector knob is missing. Does anyone know if the indicator light on the front panel is the original?

55c9cd0a08153fffff8004ffffffd3.jpg

55c9cd0a08153fffff8005ffffffd3.jpg

55c9cd0a08153fffff8006ffffffd3.jpg

Wallace

Nice!

Or you could leave the head shell as it is and buy a new one :dude:

CoyotesGator

Very cool!

Another vote for leave it alone or put it in a new cab and store the old.

:salude

kerryboy

Here are some photos of the internals. Sorry but the photos aren't great.

With my limited knowledge, I believe that all looks to be in order and I don't think its been messed around with. All the red dye in the solder is intact so no added components that I would notice.

My only concern is the loose black wire which has been taped off which I have indicated with a green arrow. Does anybody know what that is all about. See the last photo.

e81d08dcf2e4940ffff8009ffffffd3.jpg

e81d08dcf2e4940ffff8007ffffffd3.jpg

e81d08dcf2e4940ffff8008ffffffd3.jpg

e81d08dcf2e4940ffff8006ffffffd3.jpg

e81d08dcf2e4940ffff800affffffd3.jpg

Bygone_Tones

Why are you even considering retolexing that??? That is one of the coolest looking Marshall amps I've seen.

Keep it original man.

kerryboy

I must admit, having given it some thought, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

So whilst I had the chassis out, I stuck down some of the bad rips on the tolex and gave it a wipe down and it looks so much better.

The Real MC

The first thing you absolutely must do is replace that speaker impedance selector switch on the back. They have a history of going bad - they become an open circuit and as a consequence your OT will burn out. When I got my 1987 50w amp, I wouldn't play it until the switch was replaced.

kerryboy

The first thing you absolutely must do is replace that speaker impedance selector switch on the back. They have a history of going bad - they become an open circuit and as a consequence your OT will burn out. When I got my 1987 50w amp, I wouldn't play it until the switch was replaced.

Great advice, thanks I will get that looked at.

Have you any ideas on the loose taped up wire in the photos above?

Also, the only thing that I have found that is odd (at least to me) is the white component shown below. I imagine that it is a modern equivilient of the green component shown on the adjacent valve/tube bases. Is it possible to find the green ones any more as that white one just stands out as not being right. Or should I just leave it as it is.

22b9c1421ea0baf2ffff8004ffffffd3.jpg

torger

Whats allready been said; keep it original. Thats one badass looking amp🤘

sonar

You could always have or buy a repro box if you're worried about it.

Personally, I think it looks cool as is. :dude:

jbzoso2002

That white resistor is what blows sometimes when a power tube
blows.

I dont think it has any effect on tone as long as its good.

Very cool amp, my buddy would swap you his left nut
for it.

Jimmy