• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1978 The Paul

Ianashdown

Hi,
Just moved this from another area as this is probably the more correct location.

Just acquired a very nice 1978 The Paul body, neck etc and plan to bring it back to playable condition with all new electronics, T-Tops etc, new Tune-O-Matic Bridge and Stop, Correct Grover tuners, but it has obviously been previously owned by a smoker and it absolutely stinks!

I want to be sure not to do any damage to the body and finish so does anybody have any suggestions for how to clean it?

I'm leaving it out of the case in the garage to 'air-out' for a while!

Any suggestions, expressions of sympathy etc will be much appreciated!

Ian
SoCal

Zentar

I cleaned a 1957 guitar once. I used naptha and 409 and anything else I had including fingernails and I'm not sure it ever got 100% clean. Ive seen some folks in here use Mcguires that seemed effective

WBailey

Naptha, t-shirt, elbow grease.

It takes forever, but worth it.

You have to drag the gunk to the edge, and lift it off. ( one direction )

Going back and forth just drives it in.

Remember, naptha dries/flashes very quick !

Keep the t-shirt damp.

Very cool guitar ! Pics ? :salude

tiller2

Hi ian... I was able to get rid of bad tobacco smell on a 2007 LP Studio and its case. I used a variety of methods and am not sure which were truly effective, but here's what I did. I wiped the guitar down thoroughly with damp cloths and cleaned the metal parts with naptha; I was replacing the wiring and tuners, which took tobacco residue on those original parts out of the equation. I left the guitar out to air, as you are doing, but directed a fan at it, for several weeks. As for the case, I put charcoal in cotton bags (pillowcases) inside it and closed it up for the same period. I also sprinkled baking soda in the lining and vacuumed it out quickly (I got worried that residual baking soda might affect the guitar's finish, but I have never researched that; no problem since).

A guitar expert told me that getting rid of smoke smell requires "moving molecules," so I think the fan+time technique may be the most important. Today, several years later, you have to physically put your nose on the finish to possibly, faintly, detect a smoke odor--which IMO is part of the well-used instrument's mojo. Same with the case. Back when I got the guitar it would literally stink up the room. Good luck!

clearmudd

When you get her done let us see what you got,..........I used have one of these and they're great guitars..

Ianashdown

Progress Report.

I figured that, at the very least, I should remove any old polish, sweat, dirt etc before I got too serious about other more aggressive methods of cleaning and I'm happy to report that after several successive cleaning with 409 the stink is vastly improved!

I wet a heavy duty paper towel and rubbed the body all over, then wiped the dampness off right away. You'd stunned to see how dark the towel the towel gets! I'm going to let it air out for a while, and then try a few more cleanings before a few coat of lemon oil or some similar, nice scented conditioner.

Will report back with more soon.

Ian
SoCal

Ianashdown

This guitar has been stripped to a bare body and neck for some time I suspect, and I wonder if harm could come to it if the tension of the Truss Rod is left without the counteracting force of the strings. It'll probably be a month or so before its all back together so I decided to back off the truss Rod nut half a turn, just in case.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience or input on the subject.

Thanks,

Ian
SoCal

murkat

if the guitar is stripped with no original finish, you cloud clean it with acetone and old but clean cotton towels cut into 5" squares. if there is any wood filler left, the acetone will lift and remove that as well. as far as no string tension, not real worry. the wood has done what it is going to do sometime ago. Move forward and have fun with your restro :)

Ianashdown

Thank for the suggestions.

The original finish is still very good so I'm doing everything I can to preserve it. The 409 seems to be doing the job of removing dirt etc and the stink. I've tested Lemon Oil in one area and it looks really great! Smells better too!!

Tuners, bridge and Stop arrived today so it's all coming together . . .

Ian
Socal

Ianashdown

Well, I have a slight dilemma!

The Grover tuners arrived and they are modern tuners not the pre '83 part I thought they were. 🙁 I've looked everywhere and can only find the correct pre-'83 tuners in Nickel, and used. They look fine but I really want to have all the hardware in chrome.

So the question is should I go with the correct tuners in Nickel or the modern ones (10mm Vs 3/8") in chrome? The modern parts require drill out the headstock a little to make them fit, but otherwise would seem to be very close to the older, original, parts. I'll be able to compare parts side by side in a few days.

Any thoughts?

Ian
SoCal

WBailey

Thank for the suggestions.

The original finish is still very good so I'm doing everything I can to preserve it. The 409 seems to be doing the job of removing dirt etc and the stink. I've tested Lemon Oil in one area and it looks really great! Smells better too!!

Tuners, bridge and Stop arrived today so it's all coming together . . .

Ian
Socal

Can't help with the tuners. but lemon oil is a REALLY bad idea.

It will only attract more dirt, dust, and grime. ( just like sweat/oil )

You will soon be back to square one, trying to figure out how to remove it.

Once it is cleaned thoroughly, this is much better ! :salude

0007466001136_500X500.jpg

EDIT; Allparts has chrome grovers, but, they are locking

Last edited:

murkat

Well, I have a slight dilemma!

Any thoughts?

Ian
SoCal

that is totally up to you. going to be hard to find a set of oem grovers in chrome in that time period, but, they are out there. but a reemer on the peg holes will suffice to shoe in your new grover set. do not use a drill, it will "walk" and grab, making the job messy.

Ianashdown

I thought I should post some pictures of the 'The Paul' but have been trying for a couple of days without success.

Is there an easy way that I'm just missing?

Ian

tonyj

Maybe these can help? My 1980 "The Paul". A guitar that really is lots of fun.

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

Ianashdown

That's it! Just about exactly what I hope mine will look like when I'm finished. All chrome hardware with all black pickups, switch etc. That's a very fine looking guitar!

Now, if someone could give me some clues as to how to post pictures I'll be able to post my progress from stinking husk to something I hope will be as nice as yours.

Ian
SoCal

HenkeEdge

That's it! Just about exactly what I hope mine will look like when I'm finished. All chrome hardware with all black pickups, switch etc. That's a very fine looking guitar!

Now, if someone could give me some clues as to how to post pictures I'll be able to post my progress from stinking husk to something I hope will be as nice as yours.

Ian
SoCal

You need to upload your picture somewhere so you get a html-adress to it and than use the "insert image" button up there in the tools when having the "post new message"-window open and put the link the popup-window there.

www.tinypic.com is a free place where you can post the pictures, where you dont have to sign up an account.
www.imgur.com I think is pretty popular also.

Ianashdown

Hmmm, I tried that. I opened a Tinypic account, uploaded some pictures and tried to cut and pasted a link. It didn't seem to work. I'll give it another try . . . .

Ian
SoCal

SpencerD

The Paul!! -- Wow. Nice.

I haven't thought about that model for a long time. - I do remember it. Taking acid,playing that guitar and eating crabs more than a few times in Maryland. :peace2 Anne Arundel County way.

Ianashdown

I'm officially giving up trying t post photographs of my The Paul.

I've followed the instructions perfectly but have been spectacularly unable to get a single image to post.

I cannot believe this is all me; there must be a setting or something that is preventing me from posting.

Ian