• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Led Zeppelin first british tv appearance

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
It's Cool, it's Groovy. it's Number One!

If we don't need the whole band to count as "Led Zeppelin's first TV appearance," wouldn't this qualify?

Interviewer: "What do you want to do when you get out of school?"

14-year old Jimmy Page: "Uhhhh....Biological research."

Interviewer: "I do that already as a matter of fact!" :laugh2:

Last edited:

JamesE

I don't remember them ever being "THE" Led Zeppelin, that was just the uncoolness of the TV presenters.
However, my copy of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is definitely by THE Pink Floyd!

WBailey

1X shKddhp7a3JHG2zPNOQttd0hd3tdIHXWgs1B9c74qZb7ixlz59f8CieIHwn dU7IAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

This, is priceless ! :rofl

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I don't remember them ever being "THE" Led Zeppelin, that was just the uncoolness of the TV presenters.
However, my copy of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is definitely by THE Pink Floyd!

I don't think they were ever officially "The" Led Zeppelin, but if I recall correctly, even Bill Graham introduced them as that when they played the Fillmore in their early days.

JamesE

I don't think they were ever officially "The" Led Zeppelin, but if I recall correctly, even Bill Graham introduced them as that when they played the Fillmore in their early days.

Couple of videos on youtube of "The" Vanilla Fudge, as well.

Does anyone know why Zep made up the name anyway, was it just to get that ultra-phallic symbol of The Hindenburg on the cover?

clearmudd

Couple of videos on youtube of "The" Vanilla Fudge, as well.

Does anyone know why Zep made up the name anyway, was it just to get that ultra-phallic symbol of The Hindenburg on the cover?
The rumor is, it came from a session that involved Kieth Moon, John Entwhistle, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page and the idea of forming a band from that. Now it is either Kieth or John that joked that said band would go over like a Lead Balloon. Jimmy remembered this and came up the Lead Zeppelin and record executives decided on the shorter Led as Lead might be pronounced as Leed, smart move.

Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
The rumor is, it came from a session that involved Kieth Moon, John Entwhistle, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page and the idea of forming a band from that. Now it is either Kieth or John that joked that said band would go over like a Lead Balloon. Jimmy remembered this and came up the Lead Zeppelin and record executives decided on the shorter Led as Lead might be pronounced as Leed, smart move.

The legendary "Beck's Bolero" session!