• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any other salt water fly fishermen junkies out there

F-Hole

So many things must come together when sight fishing with a fly !

Unless you go to the Seychelles, where you'll be bored with bonefish after the first couple of hours. At the turn of the tide, they're plague like.

J T

Awesome fish you're holding!:applaude

:hmmWhat are you covering from, sun or bugs?

J T

Yes! I know exactly what you mean. Sun reflection is as bad as direct sun. Polarized sunglasses are a must as well.

Pellman73

I've been saltwater flyfishing for 20 years, although not so much now as I used to. There was a period when I was going to Alphonse Island two or three times a year to chase bonies and Milkfish. Milkfish are like bonefish on steroids, a ridiculous fish. Spent a lot of time at the top end of Australia chasing big Trevally and Queenfish too.

Here's a Milkfish on the flats, on a fly. These things will jump 20 feet into the air when hooked, then head for deeper water at a speed that would embarrass a Bonefish. Check out its tail.

the pic is down I think but I got to see it. Very cool. I had never heard of a milk fish before that pic. I was actually down in Abaco last week chasing bones and permit. There was a fella there named Bob (and there were only 4 of us there so that was interesting) who actually had been to Alphonse Island. Said it was quite a hike to get there (probably not as bad for you). Said it was an amazing place and you definitely did not want to show up unprepared without the right gear and definitely NOT NEW WADING BOOTS! sounds like you spend a good amount of time on foot. I really enjoy stalking fish by foot I"ve learned more and more.

I've now been at the salt thing a few years and I"m now to the point where I"m interested in permit, tarpon, and big bones--- last year just catching a bonefish was a big thrill. I've realized that I really don't want to share a boat w anyone. Watching someone flub up what looks like a sure thing permit shot had me dying 1000 deaths inside. If anyone is going to mess up the shot I want it to be me!

I did catch fish on 4 different flies that I had tied which was cool as last time I was just using ones I bought from the outfitter.

Great sport (small world too I am learning!). I just need more money and more time to do it!

AA00475Bassman

Going soon for two weeks of Rooster & Amber Jack fishing , as always this will freestyle no guide . We will be fishing The Sea of Cortez hunting the surf for Rooster fish day time . Evenings will be spent hunting predators crashing bait fish . These Roosters will test my 40+ years of surf fishing with a 7 weight rod .

Pellman73

Going soon for two weeks of Rooster & Amber Jack fishing , as always this will freestyle no guide . We will be fishing The Sea of Cortez hunting the surf for Rooster fish day time . Evenings will be spent hunting predators crashing bait fish . These Roosters will test my 40+ years of surf fishing with a 7 weight rod .

Good luck!

post pics

Pellman73

F-Hole John get a load of this. Caught first permit last week-- Tied the fly-- EP spawning shrimp. out of body experience. caught a second on second cast (caught in am, drank all day in boat while the other guy fished) the next day. same fly! Guanaja Honduras. I'm on the board!

F-Hole

F-Hole John get a load of this......

Really good effort. Permit are a pain in the ass to catch even when they're feeding. I've done trips chasing only them, and gone three days without a fish.

Congratulations, one for the photo album!

:salude

Texas Blues

Last year I spent 4 days of a 6 day trip on this flat.

I caught only one bone on a 9wt Sage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LVkqZQNXdPo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I'll be back there the 2nd week in May for 7 days.

Why?

Because.

I'll be knee to hip deep in the ocean.

In Hawaii.

Attempting to traumatize little fishes for sport.

With 2 manapua in my backpack.

And an asspocket of whiskey.

I don't believe in a bucket list.

Lists are for grocery shopping.

Pellman73

Last year I spent 4 days of a 6 day trip on this flat.

I caught only one bone on a 9wt Sage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LVkqZQNXdPo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I'll be back there the 2nd week in May for 7 days.

Why?

Because.

I'll be knee to hip deep in the ocean.

In Hawaii.

Attempting to traumatize little fishes for sport.

With 2 manapua in my backpack.

And an asspocket of whiskey.

I don't believe in a bucket list.

Lists are for grocery shopping.

I like your style man.

Pellman73

you know I tried to get a golf thing going to get people to come to pinehurst but maybe we need to get a les paul forum saltwater fly fisherman's trip going

Texas Blues

you know I tried to get a golf thing going to get people to come to pinehurst but maybe we need to get a les paul forum saltwater fly fisherman's trip going

Its cheaper to buy Les Pauls than to go on fishing trips.

Believe me I know.

I was the fucking guide.

renderit

Did that last year and the year before. Go down to the Snake side. Avoid the areas too close to the tourist busses...

AA00475Bassman

Did that last year and the year before. Go down to the Snake side. Avoid the areas too close to the tourist busses...
We fished Box Canyon to the ranch yesterday lots of fish , Back to the Madison we have a cabin on the Madison and really have had some great fishing .

renderit

Excellent and noted for my next trip. The Northeast side is the most commonly fished and IMO too crowded/maybe overfished. I have never done as well there. Many years ago we killed in the lake. Got limits within 1/2 hour. Now the Lake Trout have killed off so much the fishing is not so good unless you hit a guide boat. Hit the Madison a few years ago and it was pretty busy at the time hence my suggestion for points South.