• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vox AC30/6 manufacture info please

telstarstuff

Mamma Mia, I figured it out!

So the photos of the speakers show the high frequency Motorola #301 horn in the center. The second photo shows the switch installed. Strange wsy to boost high freq. Not to my taste. Can’t tell if it’s factory installed.

fyUH9zn.jpg
dGRqK0e.jpg
B03Zs8H.jpg
fYVOkpv.jpg

jFINlAV.jpg

Last edited:

TM1

Yeah, black panels: 59-early 62. Both Four Inputs and Six Inputs were made side by side in late `60-61 for about a year when the Four Input was discontinued.
Would help to see some inside chassis shots.
But your amp is an early one and the cab is later. Not uncommon to see an early chassis inside a later box. I helped Jim Elyea with his book for around 10 years until it came out in 2008. It's really an incredible book and puts to rest alot of mis-information and myths about Vox.
Haddon's would be the correct tranny's. If your OT blew, get it rewound by Mercury Magnetics as it will be exactly like it was when it was made when they're done. Not cheap to do but a worthwhile investment in that amp. I had to have the Mains rewound in my black panel, which is fairly common in early Vox, but the OT is unusual to go. The Haddon's have a pretty nice sound to them. Warmer & thicker but still chimes. The Albion's were the brightest and the Woden's are a mix of the albion & Haddon's. Woden's are my fave. I'm going to guess that the signal & coupling caps are the silver Wima Durlites or the gold Tropyfol.
I would find a pair of alnico Celestions to go in there as JMI never used a ceramic magnet speaker in the AC30's.
Thanks!

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
You could get 95% there with modern alnico Celestions, Fanes or even the Emminence or Weber clones. But for that amp, you really SHOULD find yourself a pair of vintage alnicos!

TM1

You could get 95% there with modern alnico Celestions, Fanes or even the Emminence or Weber clones. But for that amp, you really SHOULD find yourself a pair of vintage alnicos!

Yeah, I agree! Totally worth the $900-1,000. bucks for a pair or originals.