• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1963 Firebird VII - The Brood Mother.

macg1

Mine was refretted years ago. Never regret doing that ob FB VIIS, LP Customs or SG Customs. Makes them better guitars.

Refretting a guitar is like changing gaskets in an old car. You have to do it! I recently refretted my 65 SG Special, my 68 ES-345, my 73 LPC, and had my 64 FB III also refretted. At the end of the day, it needs to be right. It's cool if one likes the small frets, but I say nope to mine.

macg1

I had an Azuremist '02 FB VII, it was my first bird. @macg1 on this form owns it now. I also owned the Copper one like yours. Is yours equipped with the Nashville or ABR-1? The Historic program wasn't in effect for Firebirds in '02 yet, but I had one with the ABR-1, despite the majority having the Nash. There was some sort of deluxe or special edition of the birds back then that had the nickel hardware and ABR-1. Good choice switching to the split Silvertone minis, those things are amazing!

Here she is live. ABR-1 bridge, two Shaw era PUPs on bridge and middle and a custom wound Sheptone in the neck position. This guitar is my brother. It was sangandongo's, played and autographed by Johnny Winter (RIP), then she came to me. I played the living crap out of it, both live and in the studio. All the battle scars are mine. It was stolen from me after a gig, but it was returned. It will literally be buried with me. Seriously, it's in my will.

roU6Txi.jpg

AA00475Bassman

I had an Azuremist '02 FB VII, it was my first bird. @macg1 on this form owns it now. I also owned the Copper one like yours. Is yours equipped with the Nashville or ABR-1? The Historic program wasn't in effect for Firebirds in '02 yet, but I had one with the ABR-1, despite the majority having the Nash. There was some sort of deluxe or special edition of the birds back then that had the nickel hardware and ABR-1. Good choice switching to the split Silvertone minis, those things are amazing!

Firebird historic started in 1998 I own a cardinal red V 1998 .

macg1

How is the neck on that V? I had a 99 Historic III that had the hugest neck on any guitar I have ever owned. It was a pretty sweet axe. Sort of miss it.

AA00475Bassman

IT's huge like my R8 & R4 really love this V , but I also own some USA slim necks and those are great guitars . I love firebirds !

sangandongo

I got this from Gibson this morning:

Jon Sutherland <jon.sutherland@gibson.com></jon.sutherland@gibson.com>

<tbody>
</tbody>
3:27 AM (5 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Hi,
In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives the serial number 144682 shows a Firebird VII model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 1/7/1964. It was likely made in late 1963, as serial numbers in this range(144682-144695) all show Firebird VII models shipped between December 1963-March 1964. Thanks!

So, that's interesting. 144682-695 are all Firebird VIIs, according to this. That accounts for 13/20 of the instruments.

Highway Star

I acquired, through trade, one of the twenty Firebird VIIs made in 1963. This is my own personal holy grail. I considered owning a '63 VII so far fetched that it never even crossed my mind until it flew across my radar last Wednesday.

This thing is unbelievable.

yidFmTU.jpg

qC4orxz.jpg

That is one good lookin Firebird VII. The coolest model in my opinion. I'm actually lookin for a Firebird. Not that easy to find good ones. Do you have any sound clip or videos ? Just to encrease the need :laugh2:

Highway Star

Here she is live. ABR-1 bridge, two Shaw era PUPs on bridge and middle and a custom wound Sheptone in the neck position. This guitar is my brother. It was sangandongo's, played and autographed by Johnny Winter (RIP), then she came to me. I played the living crap out of it, both live and in the studio. All the battle scars are mine. It was stolen from me after a gig, but it was returned. It will literally be buried with me. Seriously, it's in my will.

roU6Txi.jpg

That is exacly the relationship a musician shall have to his instrument. Awesome guitar :2cool What year is it from?

Last edited:

TM1

Mine has the ABR-1 bridge. Came stock.