• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

MAC Amplifiers

JamesE

I tried to search for MAC, but I was told my search was too common.
Does anyone else use MAC?
I have a 4C-A52 - it has 2 channels: 1 for guitar and 1 for organ
Each channel has an ECC83 feeding a second stage with another ECC83 and a final stage with 4 x EL84.
I've seen it described in relation to the hallowed AC30.

There are also vibrato (another ECC83) and reverb.

Is anyone familiar with these Italian masterpieces from the good ol' days?

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm not super good at schematics, but that doesn't seem to bear a lot of resemblance to an AC30. It has reverb (solid state), it has 2 gain stages on all channels (AC30s don't), it looks to me like the output tubes are fixed, not cathode biased. And it has negative feedback. Since the hallmarks of the AC30 are cathode biased EL84s with no negative feedback, I feel like the resemblance is pretty superficial. Doesn't mean it won't sound great, of course, just more like a different take on an EL84 based amp? Schematics are available on the internet, and there's discussion on various websites about it-just search on the actual amp name (Mac 4c-a52) not just mac amplifier.

JamesE

Thank you DrRobert and Wilko. I will in future avoid any reference to the hallowed AC30!
It works, but I guess it's just another old valve amp.
My search was not on the internet in general, but just here. I wanted to see if anybody had any experience of them.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I hope you don't feel like I was being dismissive. You're perfectly at liberty to say whatever you like! But yeah, there are a world of 4 EL84 amps out there that range from relatively low output to volume monsters depending on how you set up the preamp and output stage and that amp has its own cool thing going. Rock it in good health! BTW, how loud is it? A lot of second tier amps use lower voltages and are a little quieter than the bigger companies because it saves money?

JamesE

I can't remember where the reference came from - possibly someone selling one!
It's not very loud - nothing for Disaster Area! :)
Mains hum is a bit high, but I can only hear that when I'm not playing.

Would it be possible to rearrange the wiring to make it a bit more exciting? Or would it need new transformers?