• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

CARR MERCURY V ANYONE?

Pellman73

I guess that Ed King redeye video w the carr amp has given me the redeye for one of these new CARR Mercury V amps. I"m sure I don't need one but I was curious if anyone got one and what your thoughts were

Ren if you are reading this please elaborate on why you don't like the Carr cabs because they have a K sound and what is a Theile cab all about.

right now I have a Matchless Hc-30, a Friedman small box and a freidman dirty shirley mini (head w the matching cab), a princeton reverb and a champ. they are all crammed in a tiny room and I really only usually play the matchless as it goes through a rivera rockcrusher recording attenuator and into my computer speakers which I can play at extremely low volume.

in other words I have absolutely no reason to get one. but I"m still gassin for one

someone cure me of this and tell me I don't need one

porterburst

I guess that Ed King redeye video w the carr amp has given me the redeye for one of these new CARR Mercury V amps. I"m sure I don't need one but I was curious if anyone got one and what your thoughts were

Ren if you are reading this please elaborate on why you don't like the Carr cabs because they have a K sound and what is a Theile cab all about.

right now I have a Matchless Hc-30, a Friedman small box and a freidman dirty shirley mini (head w the matching cab), a princeton reverb and a champ. they are all crammed in a tiny room and I really only usually play the matchless as it goes through a rivera rockcrusher recording attenuator and into my computer speakers which I can play at extremely low volume.

in other words I have absolutely no reason to get one. but I"m still gassin for one

Own both the Carr Skylark and Mercury V and love them both.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?205000-A-ride-in-a-Carr

GwUhZ1s.jpg

SfDaUVS.jpg

T.Allen

I am a Marshall guy. I decided to buy one of these for low volume and to see what the hype was all about. I love it! So, then I bought a 2nd one to keep at another location. :dude:

porterburst

I am a Marshall guy. I decided to buy one of these for low volume and to see what the hype was all about. I love it! So, then I bought a 2nd one to keep at another location. :dude:

Pictures!!...??:salude

renderit

TO ME I have not heard a Carr that I cared for the speaker/cabinet/amp combo. The somewhat harsh compression of the intro on any note sounds boxy to me. It's just ME quite obviously because everybody else here seems to love them and trust me, I think their opinion is more important than mine. When Mr. Allen and Mr. King enjoy them my opinion is totally laughable. My ears are crap and my mind ain't far behind.

P.S. I don't care for Champs or Princetons either so I am quite obviously an idiot...

P.P.S. A Thiele is a front loaded ported speaker cab. One thing that's nice is they are much more consistent room to room than an open back.

T.Allen

TO ME I have not heard a Carr that I cared for the speaker/cabinet/amp combo. The somewhat harsh compression of the intro on any note sounds boxy to me. It's just ME quite obviously because everybody else here seems to love them and trust me, I think their opinion is more important than mine. When Mr. Allen and Mr. King enjoy them my opinion is totally laughable. My ears are crap and my mind ain't far behind.

P.S. I don't care for Champs or Princetons either so I am quite obviously an idiot...

P.P.S. A Thiele is a front loaded ported speaker cab. One thing that's nice is they are much more consistent room to room than an open back.

I hope you are not referring to me. My name doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Ed King, unless you are talking about our love of dogs. :)
I am a hack. Ed is a musician.

I completely understand your statement about the "K" sound. It is difficult to get much of a chime out of the Carr. You can clean it up a bit with some knob twisting, but it is more like a cranked up Marshall, even at low volumes. IMO, that river of signal being pushed out and then being attenuated, is the culprit. It is a glorious sound though! I don't know of any other small amp that gives you big sound at low volume better than the Carr V does.

porterburst

Tone is obviously subjective, but Carr Amps are anything but harsh.

They are some of the most tuneful and versatile amps made today.

I've played and own some of the best amps made including vintage, and Carr Amps are right up there with the best of them.

For sparkle and shimmer, you can't go wrong with a Carr Rambler. For mid power jazz, the Carr Sportsman is just amazing.

Last edited:

Pellman73

all opinions matter mr ren! including yours!

renderit

Tone is obviously subjective, but Carr Amps are anything but harsh.

They are some of the most tuneful and versatile amps made today.

I've played and own some of the best amps made including vintage, and Carr Amps are right up there with the best of them.

For sparkle and shimmer, you can go wrong with a Carr Rambler. For mid power jazz, the Carr Sportsman is just amazing.

all opinions matter mr ren! including yours!

Nope Pellman, Mr. Porterburst has it right. Buy one. Seriously. And I may just because I HAVE to get with the game.

I just remembered what the tone hits me as because of the other thread here where we are conversing. IT SOUNDS LIKE A COCKED WAH TO ME! As does the SD Widget there! And it's funny that I don't care for it as I LOVE the compression I get from my Origin Effects Cali76. The OE is miles above most compression at adding just the right harmonics back into the mix and maybe thats what I miss on these! The good news is maybe I'm NOT INSANE! Just insanely picky! Nope. Not a friggin chance. Today I went back and listened to the other clips with Mr. King and Mr. Hargrett and now I like the internal speaker better than the Thiele...

porterburst

Nope Pellman, Mr. Porterburst has it right. Buy one. Seriously. And I may just because I HAVE to get with the game.

I just remembered what the tone hits me as because of the other thread here where we are conversing. IT SOUNDS LIKE A COCKED WAH TO ME! As does the SD Widget there! And it's funny that I don't care for it as I LOVE the compression I get from my Origin Effects Cali76. The OE is miles above most compression at adding just the right harmonics back into the mix and maybe thats what I miss on these! The good news is maybe I'm NOT INSANE! Just insanely picky! Nope. Not a friggin chance. Today I went back and listened to the other clips with Mr. King and Mr. Hargrett and now I like the internal speaker better than the Thiele...

I think part of that cocked wah effect is the fact the Ed King was in the second boost selection/modded series mode. This effect is much less Parallel mode.

They're so many tones in this amp, it really needs to be played in person to truly appreciate all the amazing tones available.

Pellman73

I think part of that cocked wah effect is the fact the Ed King was in the second boost selection/modded series mode. This effect is much less Parallel mode.

They're so many tones in this amp, it really needs to be played in person to truly appreciate all the amazing tones available.

well I'll be finding out shortly

got a tweed/black one incoming from humbucker. I don't have any tweed amps and I thought it looked sharp!

roysessions

after 4 months of waiting. My Mercury V arrived (all slub) It is a MONSTER. I bought it based on the reviews of this thread. Traded my ToneKing Royalist in towards this. Thanks everyone! It really is amazing sounding! And sounds so good at low levels

Pellman73

after 4 months of waiting. My Mercury V arrived (all slub) It is a MONSTER. I bought it based on the reviews of this thread. Traded my ToneKing Royalist in towards this. Thanks everyone! It really is amazing sounding! And sounds so good at low levels

can you call my house right now and tell my wife/

I had the attenuator on about 10 min ago in my bedroom and was playing LOW and she still was yelling at me.

I said " this is LOW! "

she must be part bat. anyhow.....

congrats!

what did you get? Combo? can you send a pic?

I think these amps are so good its a sin.

send Steve Carr a message and he will respond-- very cool guy and nice!