• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1964 FB IV meets Router

latestarter

But before I am burnt at the stake by the AVH's there's a story.

This is an amazing guitar. It feels great, is balanced and best of all, it has great acoustic tone. The neck pickup is sublime, but it's bridge partner was not.

So, I took a great sounding Shaw, added a ThroBak A5 unoriented magnet and some Stephens Design pole pieces and removed wood! Got a nice nickel ring for it and bam!

The guitar had already been routed for buckers when I got it, and was black rattle can spray. I had it restored andrefin'd...mostly myself. So it was far from an original guitar. Now it is a fantastic guitar! Nil regrets.

YVeeXTj.jpg

For those interested (El Gringo?). The Shaw was originally 8.03K...the new magnet took it up to 8.26k, which is about where I like my bridge buckers.

Last edited:

latestarter

I’ve been told that a magnet doesn’t affect the DC of a pickup...so I could very well be wrong on that. How i get two different readings, double checked with two meters, is beyond me.

AA00475Bassman

Very nice Grant , Thanks for posting I love Firebirds I was just playing one tonight I just purchased . This Firebird V weights 6.7 pounds i will be installing the pickup rings you sold me .

marshall1987

"1964 FB IV". Never heard of that model before. Perhaps a Firebired III.....:dang

latestarter

"1964 FB IV". Never heard of that model before. Perhaps a Firebired III.....:dang

Why the feck did I type IV? It is of course a III!! I'm too busy...brain full!

Thanks for the pointer.

PS - maybe it's a IV now because it has a full size humbucker in it?

latestarter

Will do VamboRool.

Maybe this weekend when it stop raining for 3 seconds.

JJ Blair

I’ve been told that a magnet doesn’t affect the DC of a pickup...so I could very well be wrong on that. How i get two different readings, double checked with two meters, is beyond me.

You're not measuring DC. You're measuring impedance / resistance. The magnet will not change it, but the temperature of the wire will. If you got two different readings at two different times, even sitting in sunlight will affect the impedance. Or, if you soldered the covers on and off, the heat from the soldering iron will totally change your reading until it cools down.

DW concepts

This is an amazing guitar. It feels great, is balanced and best of all, it has great acoustic tone. The neck pickup is sublime, but it's bridge partner was not.

So, I took a great sounding Shaw, added a ThroBak A5 unoriented magnet and some Stephens Design pole pieces and removed wood! Got a nice nickel ring for it and bam!

The guitar had already been routed for buckers when I got it, and was black rattle can spray. I had it restored andrefin'd...mostly myself. So it was far from an original guitar. Now it is a fantastic guitar! Nil regrets.

YVeeXTj.jpg

For those interested (El Gringo?). The Shaw was originally 8.03K...the new magnet took it up to 8.26k, which is about where I like my bridge buckers.

Looks fantastic.

I have a butchered '64 FB 3 that was routed for HB's and spray can matt black,may need to employ you to refinish it !

mdubya

It is perfect! :peace2

I can't imagine how great it must sound.

Actually, I can. :hee

latestarter

You're not measuring DC. You're measuring impedance / resistance. The magnet will not change it, but the temperature of the wire will. If you got two different readings at two different times, even sitting in sunlight will affect the impedance. Or, if you soldered the covers on and off, the heat from the soldering iron will totally change your reading until it cools down.

Yeah, I think whatever I was drinking, eating or absorbing that night removed any sensibilities with regard to guitars. The resistence did read higher so that whole temp thing must be what was in play.

El Gringo

Wow , the new Throbac magnet really did wonders .I will most certainly remember that if I decide to put some new magnets in my T-Top patent # pickups , which based on your recommendation this sounds like a must .Bravo . I also have to compliment you on your most beautiful Firebird III , I have a 1991 reverse Cardinal Red Firebird V and it flat out rocks .Did it take you time to get used to the unique contours of the Firebird when you play ?

Last edited:

P.Walker

I love it :dude:
For some reason it actually looks "stock" for lack of a better word. All I mean is that I would rock that thing :)

latestarter

Update: I routed the neck - now sporting a pair of MXV101+ ThroBaks. Loving it!

5b2B8Df.jpg

El Gringo

The guitar had already been routed for buckers when I got it, and was black rattle can spray. I had it restored andrefin'd...mostly myself. So it was far from an original guitar. Now it is a fantastic guitar! Nil regrets. Throbak pickups are the best - SLE-101 Plus are the best .So far I have them in 2 of my 4 Les Paul's and will be doing the next 2 coming up .

YVeeXTj.jpg

Congrats on the NGD and she is a beauty as I love a nice Firebird. Thank you kindly for the output of the Tim Shaw pickup . I do remember the Shaw pickups that came with my Heritage reissue Flying V and they were a good sounding pickup . Once again congrats on a very fine NGD !

MapleFlame

Cool looking guitar. What I did with mine as per suggestion by a forum member was to get one of the PAF / Pat.No. staggered pole piece mini humbucker from the same era. They are usually in those Chris Isaak black hollow bodied guitars. Have the same magnet material and purple wire. They sound so much better than stock 64 minihums.

Last edited:

StSpider

Looks great, The pickup rings for the buckers look to be the exact same size as those used on minuhums...If so you can go back and forth with no visible modification, a nice plus!

Anje

Love that player old Firebird! Even better in custom color.
I remember the III I had years ago, those are very unique feeling and sounding guitars; I'd love to try this one with the full size Humbuckers in, must be something.