• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 R7 NGD

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
So I was recently fortunate enough to find a very lightly used R7. Weight was only 8.5 lbs, completely stock and the custom buckers sound really nice, with some real nice honk in the mids. I've been playing it at home and really digging it, but was on the fence if I was really necessary since I already have a 2014 R4, which is a dominator in every way. I changed the R7 to top wrap, which greatly enhanced the playability. I sold my last Gibson HB equipped Les Paul because it was just a bit too heavy sounding and didn't fit with the music I was playing (alt country, rockabilly, and honky tonk)

So last night I had my first gig. Backing up a Americana style singer-songwriter who really loves Telecasters. So for the first set I used my Tele and it sounded great, so then on the second set I got out the R7 and used it the rest of the night. Just using a Keedy Princeton Reverb and a tiny pedal board with an Earth Drive and a ZVex SHO. I got note bloom like I've never heard in my life, lead tones and fills really stood out. Slide playing sounded phenomenal and was very easy even with lower action. String bends were effortless. I've never heard notes explode out of a Les Paul I've owned like this. Very impressive.

alnico59

Being a Strat player for years I stayed away from LP's thinking they were only good for classic and harder rock. That was until I bought an R8 and then an R7. The 50's wiring and the cleaner pickups makes for a very versatile guitar. Nothing like a Norlin which I'm very familiar with. Don't really miss the Strat. Good luck with your new guitar.

RocknRollShakeUp

So I was recently fortunate enough to find a very lightly used R7. Weight was only 8.5 lbs, completely stock and the custom buckers sound really nice, with some real nice honk in the mids. I've been playing it at home and really digging it, but was on the fence if I was really necessary since I already have a 2014 R4, which is a dominator in every way. I changed the R7 to top wrap, which greatly enhanced the playability. I sold my last Gibson HB equipped Les Paul because it was just a bit too heavy sounding and didn't fit with the music I was playing (alt country, rockabilly, and honky tonk)

So last night I had my first gig. Backing up a Americana style singer-songwriter who really loves Telecasters. So for the first set I used my Tele and it sounded great, so then on the second set I got out the R7 and used it the rest of the night. Just using a Keedy Princeton Reverb and a tiny pedal board with an Earth Drive and a ZVex SHO. I got note bloom like I've never heard in my life, lead tones and fills really stood out. Slide playing sounded phenomenal and was very easy even with lower action. String bends were effortless. I've never heard notes explode out of a Les Paul I've owned like this. Very impressive.

That's awesome! Great year, and weight! That's funny cause I also have a 2014 R7 and 2014 R4 (my R7 is ebony however) and my search for Les Pauls is absolutely over. There is quite a bit of sonic overlap, but with some distinct differences of course; I can't decide which I like better! But between the PAF style and P90's I'm done. Although, I'd love to have a Black Beauty! Lucky for me I am not into bursts :D

How did you find the R7 to sit in the mix compared to your R4? Did you have to change your amp settings much?

Big Al

You did everything right, brother. Good on you. I grew board with stale LP into Marshall tone decades ago. Love American Roots music and imo Fender amps just sound right.:hank

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
That's awesome! Great year, and weight! That's funny cause I also have a 2014 R7 and 2014 R4 (my R7 is ebony however) and my search for Les Pauls is absolutely over. There is quite a bit of sonic overlap, but with some distinct differences of course; I can't decide which I like better! But between the PAF style and P90's I'm done. Although, I'd love to have a Black Beauty! Lucky for me I am not into bursts :D

How did you find the R7 to sit in the mix compared to your R4? Did you have to change your amp settings much?

So I didn't bring my R4 to the gig. But at home, the R4 is thicker both clean and overdriven. Weight is the same at 8.5 lbs. Neck is slightly larger on my R4. As to "changing amp settings", I stopped doing this about 8 years ago. I realized that I was bringing different guitars to gigs for their sonic differences, so the last thing I wanted to do was try and make them sound the same. Only difference is usually I use the bright input on a Victoria for my Les Paul's and Gretsches and use normal for the Telecasters.

So to answer your question, yes the R7 sounded thicker for single note work, the Tele sounded better for chords and faux pedal steel parts. Overall, I'd say the Tele is a more versatile tool, but the R7 sounded absolutely magnificent and really surprised me with how great it sounded in a roots / country rock setting.

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
You did everything right, brother. Good on you. I grew board with stale LP into Marshall tone decades ago. Love American Roots music and imo Fender amps just sound right.:hank

Fender amps and their clones do sound just right. I love mine, I usually use either a mid wattage Victoria or Clark, the Keedy or my '71 Vibrolux Reverb

renderit

You know what? Congrats on the R7 and all, but NO PICTURES? WTH! Are you kidding me? Look at that signing bonus check you received, it's written right on there bucko! Get postin'. It's a moral obligation.

RocknRollShakeUp

So I didn't bring my R4 to the gig. But at home, the R4 is thicker both clean and overdriven. Weight is the same at 8.5 lbs. Neck is slightly larger on my R4. As to "changing amp settings", I stopped doing this about 8 years ago. I realized that I was bringing different guitars to gigs for their sonic differences, so the last thing I wanted to do was try and make them sound the same. Only difference is usually I use the bright input on a Victoria for my Les Paul's and Gretsches and use normal for the Telecasters.

So to answer your question, yes the R7 sounded thicker for single note work, the Tele sounded better for chords and faux pedal steel parts. Overall, I'd say the Tele is a more versatile tool, but the R7 sounded absolutely magnificent and really surprised me with how great it sounded in a roots / country rock setting.

Yeah I know what you mean about the different guitars and their different tones. I almost always tend to have to tweak mids, highs and volume when going from different guitars however. I think I tend to have "an ideal tonal range" in my head and tend to adjust knobs to get to that tonal range, no matter what guitar I'm using :##, especially when it comes to clean sounds.

But I'm also one of those guys that likes crisp and bright sounding Les Pauls, and mainly use them for a clean to edge of breakup tone! ...until I hit my fuzz...So if I set up my Princeton or DR clone to sound great with my R7, when I switch to a single coil guitar (jazz master, strat) I have to turn down the highs, and the mids up to hit my preferred tonal range, except for the R4..it works with the same settings pretty much.

I have a Goodsell Super 17 that is a very bright amp, and through that thing, using my Wildwood Spec underwound CustomBuckers, I get the most satisfying chimey, bright, punchy, "fat" Tele like tones (with a bit more girth and complexity)! With that 50s wiring, I run the R7 with volumes at 8-9 and tones at 5-7, and my R4 with the volume at 8-8.5 and tone at 5-7 for a fat but chimey and glassy single coil type sound, to volume/tone 10 for Johnny Thunders atomic snarl!

Anyway, man, enjoy your new bitchin' axe!

vibrolux

Late reply but I lucked into about the same guitar. I was struggling with the neck feel of many Historics over the years. Love the feel of the R7 necks but most are pretty large I had. Earlier this year I found a 14' GT R7 and the neck is perfect for me. It's closer to an R9 with no shoulder. Measures a nice .89 at the first fret and weighs 8.8lbs. Nice dark even board and I love the color of these...a bit green in the gold that make them seem darker and best of all the price was right.

Congrats of finding your keeper!