• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

JBLP Tweed Bassman Speaker choice?

marfen

Been searching for any info here re Joe's Celestion speaker choice in his tweed bassmans...I know , I know it's been requested before...but I can't find any info here or anywhere.
My scheme- I have a pretty cool 60 Fender Concert, already has the bassman OT stock but it has some early Rola's that have been reconed with Jensen cones. Stock spkrs long gone before my time. Sounds fine but I'd like to experiment with some Celestions and crank it up to see if it can behave more like a cranked tweed bassman than a BF SR . Won't know til I try.
17 sleeps and I'll be hearing Joe live for the first time.

corpse

He- Joe- mentioned exactly what they were in a post about Hi Powered Twin's- Celestions from the 1980's, thinking the 75 watters that came in JCM 4x12 cabs. He said they would last about 25 shows and then fail.
I was running my 1963 Bassman head into a cab with two 1970's Blackback's and it was gorgeous. Had to sacrifice that amp for a remodeled bathroom. Glad to have had it for a while- great amp.

marfen

thx for the reply and your help. I've seen Joe's reply re the use of celestion 70/80 s in his highpower twins. I'm am wondering about his 10" celestion choice used in his 4 x 10 bassmans.

latestarter

He- Joe- mentioned exactly what they were in a post about Hi Powered Twin's- Celestions from the 1980's, thinking the 75 watters that came in JCM 4x12 cabs. He said they would last about 25 shows and then fail.
I was running my 1963 Bassman head into a cab with two 1970's Blackback's and it was gorgeous. Had to sacrifice that amp for a remodeled bathroom. Glad to have had it for a while- great amp.

That and Historic Makeover...must be one hell of a bathroom!

corpse

That and Historic Makeover...must be one hell of a bathroom!

We got a little carried away at the dang tile store- ended up doing two bathrooms. Really nice actually.
BTW- Don't Cry for Me Argentina... I just bought a 61 BF Vibrolux a few months ago. Miss the Bassman but it won't be fatal.

Big Al

He uses the current G12 80 watt speaker in the Twins. I do remember that post but I don't remember the 10 inch speaker he chooses.

marfen

thx for the help folks. I see Joe has got two of his touring bassmans both at Rumbleseat for sale but no pics from the back on their site. Wall to wall hp twins for JBLP these days on the road.

Andrew

I have a picture of one of his Bassmans saved on my desktop. I can't figure out how to upload it to the forum but it has Alnico Jensens in all 4 positions. P10 Something or other. I have also seen a picture with x patern of the jenesns and celestion g10 vintage series. I do realize that the Twins AND Bassmans are mic'd up but I am not sure HOW MUCH the bassmans are dialed in. At the end of the day it is the sound of the HP Twin with Lead 80s/ custom speaker.

marfen

I heard Joe last night in concert with 4 high power twins lined up. You are correct in that his sound is the hp twin thru the pa. One of the greatest tones I've heard live ever. I did go to stage front for a short time to take a couple of pics and hear the amps directly. Man were they cooking. thx for the input re speakers.