• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Be Careful Who You Talk To

corpse

69LP%20GT%20Deck_zpssapqipgu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Yesterday I stepped into the abyss- I have put in new pickups, repaired poorly slotted nuts, including cutting slots, changed pots- but this summer a good friend lent me one of his 1959 Bursts for four months. (Yes). That is how you learn to burst (now a verb).
And I am ruint. (A great word I learned living in Atl- pronounced "rew-int". Another great word from the Southern US- "fixin"- as in preparing to do something. Just perfect. You don't prepare to BBQ- you are fixin to BBQ.)
This burst just had "it"- about nine perfect pounds- but with the dry wood it felt lighter. It defies physics- it didn't feel like nine pounds. But the biggest thing that ruint me was the middle position and the neck.
The bridge (to me) is now the easiest tone to duplicate from LP to LP- the schnazzle is the middle and the neck. These had a hint of out of phase thing going on, but it had a tremendous clarity- and campers- the PAF in the neck (a Double Black) could just get big while still maintaining it's authority. To the point I almost avoided going to the bridge.
Go figure.
So I need to have my own version of this or I will just sit and mope- a friend suggested I reach out to Yukki (jumping at shadows) which I did. He is very helpful and entirely beyond reach in terms of LP addiction. He told me something I have heard elsewhere- LSLP's are very close to bursts in terms of tone with a couple of tweaks. I own a 1969 GT that was converted to HB. It is wonderful, but has a couple tone issues.
Yukki suggested a fix to what I have been hearing in this great guitar- a strident quality that after my exchange student must be remedied, but also a compression or filtering I gathered was due to the wrong pots. So The first fix was getting rid of the tone pot on the neck PU- I replaced it with a 500K pot (the bridge actually sounds great from this standpoint). Yesterday I ordered a set of A4 magnets and nickel covers (49.2mm- I hope that is right). The humbuckers in it are pat sticker T Tops (I installed the original covers as I don't like the look of uncovered blacks on the gold). He also suggested the chrome might be part of the issue.
This is a process. I will eventually change the chrome TP and the bridge, although I will keep the nylon saddles. Hyper anal about stuff not matching.
Stuff should be here for weekend surgery. Pics to follow. And they are worth 1000 words so there will be less to read.

Last edited:

jhmp

The best part about realizing just how ruint you are is the new path you find yourself on!
It should only get better from here :dude:

Elmore

Keep us posted, that thing is going to sound great.

renderit

Geez, I wish I had a friend, much less one with a burst he'd loan me for the summer!

corpse

JAS said that too. The hard stuff... Pic with the chrome covers- too many posts without a pic.
w%20cover%202_zps1fxnpjt7.jpg

corpse

So minus a small burn from the soldering iron near the strap button (do'h) surgery is complete. Removing the chrome covers turned out to be the highest hurdle- there was a ton of solder on there- original Gibson solder, applied at the factory that I simply reheated when I reinstalled them last year. That lead stuff really flows and they were on there good- scary when my thought was "I hope I am not overheating these things".
The magnets go in remarkably easy- reassemble- voila'.
My immediate reaction was how much more open the neck was (zactly what I was going for- thank you Jesus!) and much less compressed. Great squishy (Greg Koch term- perfect) middle and the neck. The bridge is snarky without the strident overtone- I have to raise it a bit more because the balance is off, but I am going to wait until the magnets settle in a bit- a day or so.
Very pleased- in the zip code of the aforementioned Visitor.
Pics tomorrow- not thrilled with the new aged nickel PU covers, but they give it that street fighter look.
I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones- so I am going to call it Bastard.

Pellman73

So minus a small burn from the soldering iron near the strap button (do'h) surgery is complete. Removing the chrome covers turned out to be the highest hurdle- there was a ton of solder on there- original Gibson solder, applied at the factory that I simply reheated when I reinstalled them last year. That lead stuff really flows and they were on there good- scary when my thought was "I hope I am not overheating these things".
The magnets go in remarkably easy- reassemble- voila'.
My immediate reaction was how much more open the neck was (zactly what I was going for- thank you Jesus!) and much less compressed. Great squishy (Greg Koch term- perfect) middle and the neck. The bridge is snarky without the strident overtone- I have to raise it a bit more because the balance is off, but I am going to wait until the magnets settle in a bit- a day or so.
Very pleased- in the zip code of the aforementioned Visitor.
Pics tomorrow- not thrilled with the new aged nickel PU covers, but they give it that street fighter look.
I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones- so I am going to call it Bastard.

Les Snow

Goldie snow?

corpse

IMG_1310_zpsrkajt723.jpg

IMG_1311_zps2krx8sfm.jpg

Looks pretty good- needs a new TP and bridge but the nylon saddles are staying.

Doc Sausage

I'm not even going to sully the thread with talking about a particular vintage or adorned burst. Or a 'lesser' unit for that matter. But I will say I too have come to enjoy the middle and especially neck positions on a LP. It's where the real sweet spots live. I agree too that the bridge tone is easier emulated. I liken it preferring Robert Plant vocals (bridge) in my youth only to later acquire more of a, Raul Malo, (neck) tone in my, well, more advanced years.

Last edited:

rockabilly69

I'm not even going to sully the thread with talking about a particular vintage or adorned burst. Or a 'lesser' unit for that matter. But I will say I too have come to enjoy the middle and especially neck positions on a LP. It's where the real sweet spots live. I agree too that the bridge tone is easier emulated. I liken it preferring Robert Plant vocals in my youth only to later acquire more of a, Raul Malo, tone in my, well, more advanced years.
I'm also leaning towards the neck/middle tone lately dialing in the amp for that combo, and then rolling back the tone pot when I got to the bridge p/u.

corpse

Thank you- just a black hole for time this one. Last night an hour- "snap" gone.
Starting to play some slide on this one- really good sounding. I am finally going to get to try it out in a band setting soon. It's one thing to enjoy a guitar by yourself (90% of my playing- so a huge need for that) another to have it cut through in a band setting. Yukki really nailed what I was looking for (over Instagram BTW- never touched the guitar) including the need to raise the pole pieces. The middle position is just wild- the volume and tone knobs have become very interactive in mixing the signal. The perfect setting is 7-8 on all four knobs- then back and forth with the bridge 1-2. Yowza.
Good stuff.
Hey FF- do you still have "She Knows"? That woman gives me chills.