• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

5B3 Deluxe Output Transformer

johnmiller5000

I’m planning to build an amp based upon the 5B3 Deluxe circuit. I am trying to decide what output transformer to use. I have narrowed my choice to either the Classic Tone 40-18022 or the Mojotone 768 (Heyboer). My understanding is that the Classic Tone transformer was reverse engineered from an original Triad “0246” transformer.

Does anyone know what the Mojotone transformer is based upon? I have searched this forum as well as other sites and have not found anything definitive. I believe that it may also be based upon a Triad transformer. But, I don't know.

Does anyone have a preference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

corpse

Mercury has one as well- my tech in Atl recommended using that one when he thought mine had gone (thankfully it hadn't).

johnmiller5000

Mercury has one as well- my tech in Atl recommended using that one when he thought mine had gone (thankfully it hadn't).

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm sure that the MM transformer is a nice piece. But it's outside the budget that I'm working with.

What have you chosen for a PT?

I am going to use a Mission Amps power transformer that I bought a few years back for a 6V6 18 Watt build.

Don

I put a Classic Tone 40-18022 in my 5E3 clone. It sounds great. I have Heyboer OTs in a Princeton Reverb and tweed Champ clone and they sound great as well.

johnmiller5000

I put a Classic Tone 40-18022 in my 5E3 clone. It sounds great. I have Heyboer OTs in a Princeton Reverb and tweed Champ clone and they sound great as well.

I figure that either one would be better than good. No real wrong answer. I am leaning towards the Mojotone (Heyboer).

Wally

JohnMiller5000 wrote: "I am going to use a Mission Amps power transformer that I bought a few years back for a 6V6 18 Watt build."

I ask because imho and ime that B+ voltage is important. A PT based on a vintage PT but operating on modern wall voltages will yield higher voltage than I would want in such an amp. A modern 6V6 PT might or might not yield voltages that would do well in that old Fender circuit. That PT is the first building block, in other words. OF course, one can always use a bucking transformer to lower the AC, but when building imho it is best to start with what best suits the application. MM will probably have a vintage type of PT that is 'voltage adjusted' during the build to yield the vintage B+ with modern wall voltage. but....that budget things creeps in, right?

MapleFlame

I’m planning to build an amp based upon the 5B3 Deluxe circuit. I am trying to decide what output transformer to use. I have narrowed my choice to either the Classic Tone 40-18022 or the Mojotone 768 (Heyboer). My understanding is that the Classic Tone transformer was reverse engineered from an original Triad “0246” transformer.

Does anyone know what the Mojotone transformer is based upon? I have searched this forum as well as other sites and have not found anything definitive. I believe that it may also be based upon a Triad transformer. But, I don't know.

Does anyone have a preference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Can you private message me. I have 1 or 2 MM OT in a box. I ended up finding an original one for my amp. I will dig them out. One I used and the other has never been. Hit me up and we will discuss