The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Gibson sleeper hollow bodies:

I'm getting ready to buy another Gibson archtop (because I CAN) & I'm seeing a lot of guitars I never knew about before.
    Since an L5 or a Super 400 is out of my price range, I started looking at other models, namely the L4 & L7 guitars. Significantly cheaper, to be sure. Then I started seeing even more models, such as the L48 & L50 guitars. Even cheaper still, & vintage to boot.
    Does anyone have experience w/some of these lesser Gibsons? How do they stack up? Are there other models I'm missing? & what to look for & consider as I'm browsing through these new-to-me guitars?
    Thx
    "Perhaps you have a vibrato that sounds like a goat
    trying to mount Diane Rehm as she conjures the
    ghost of Katherine Hepburn with a ouija board?"
    -David Von Bader

Re: Gibson sleeper hollow bodies:

AFAIK, L50s are laminated tops. I was looking into them a while ago when searching for an affordable acoustic archtop. They look pretty, but the 2 I've played were nothing to write home about. Playability was decent, but VERY low volume and just a poor, boxy midrange mess. I stopped looking for another acoustic and went back to my old Martin...

Instead of a lower grade Gibson I might suggest a higher grade Guild. 60's, 70's and 80's are all pretty sweet. CE 100, X175, X500, etc. I bought an ST 302 a couple months ago and I haven't put it down.
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

An L-7 can be a great alternative for an L-5. The L-4C is another favorite, albeit it smaller.

Regarding L-50s, I have never heard of them having laminated tops. All of the old, L series archtops should have solid spruce tops, while all of the old ES series should have laminated tops.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

L-7 are lovely and get you that L-5 sound. Not L-5CES sound, that is a "stiffer" more electric sound.

I own an L-4c after a few 175s and a 165 Herb Ellis. Great guitar. I set it up different for acoustic playing with bronze strings and such. Flatwound are awesome for that real smooth sound. It's got the shorter scale so string tension is lower as is the volume. Basically a 175 with a carved spruce top.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
    I started looking at other models, namely the L4 & L7 guitars. Significantly cheaper, to be sure. Then I started seeing even more models, such as the L48 & L50 guitars. Even cheaper still, & vintage to boot. Does anyone have experience w/some of these lesser Gibsons? How do they stack up? Are there other models I'm missing? & what to look for & consider as I'm browsing through these new-to-me guitars?
    Thx
    I've owned a couple late 20s & early 30s L4s -- the archtop / large-round-hole models in spruce and birch or maple. I also had a mid-30s L-75 which is the same deal in spruce and mahogany, with a lovely horizontal sunburst on the sides. Both models have a unique and lovely sound but you want to really make sure you like a large, V 'boat' neck before committing. One advantage of those models is that they work nicely with floating magnetic pickups but also take flat-top soundhole pickups too.

I owned a couple of early 30s L50s with solid spruce tops. The earliest ones also have solid maple backs and sides, not plywood. They're nice but L50s and L48s have no fingerboard 'overhang' over the body -- it's glued flat to the top. The only way to use a floating-style pickup is to have it mid-way back toward the bridge (which is not the archtop 'sweet spot'). If you are thinking about classic amplified jazz tone neither of those models will get you in the ballpark.

L7s, man, 17 x 25.5" is where it's at for me. All the sound, all the feel and only some of the price, especially if you skip the cutaway.

OH -- the guitarist in my 17-piece band plays a 70s L4C. It's like an ES-175 with a solid spruce top. Sonically I hear no difference from a 175. YMMV.

Have fun and let everybody know what you grab!
    "I wanted one until I got one." -- J45

Thank you for all the replies! I will post here when I eventually make a choice.
    "Perhaps you have a vibrato that sounds like a goat
    trying to mount Diane Rehm as she conjures the
    ghost of Katherine Hepburn with a ouija board?"
    -David Von Bader

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S a m View Post

OH -- the guitarist in my 17-piece band plays a 70s L4C. It's like an ES-175 with a solid spruce top. Sonically I hear no difference from a 175. YMMV.

Have fun and let everybody know what you grab!
    L-4C was discontinued in the 60s and is an acoustic guitar available with a neck-mounted pickup.

Here's my '62:

Here's a sound file:
    Chitlins Con Carne much more "hi fi" archtop sounding than the ES-175

After that is L-4CES which sounds more like aan ES 175 in that it has two humbucking pickups, four controls and a switch mounted to the thicker carved top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Regarding L-50s, I have never heard of them having laminated tops. All of the old, L series archtops should have solid spruce tops
    According to the 1966 catalog, the L-50 (still) had a carved spruce top; while the L-48 is listed as having a laminated mahogany top by that time. According to Gruhn's Guide, the L-48 went from spruce (carved?) to laminated mahogany in 1952.

In terms of shopping for a vintage Gibson archtop to fit a budget, I think it largely depends on what kind of sound and performance you're after. If you want a guitar that you can put a floating pickup on for a classic jazz tone, you'll want something like the L-4 (or L-4C) or L-7 (or L-7C) or an L-10 or L-12. A Super 300 is another possibility, although they're harder to find.

An L50 isn't going to give you as much tone, but is obviously less expensive. Traditionally, probably more of a play-around-the-house, leave it on the sofa guitar, imo. An L-48 (or an L-47, or L-37, or L-30) is a notch below that. They're the kind of thing you're more likely to find in a chipboard case.