• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Proper custom color refin for 64 Jazz Bass

BurstWurst

A best buddy just cabbaged on to a 64 Jazz Bass, refinned in inca silver. He's dying to get a proper refin. Who are some folks in the USA who do respectable Fender custom color refins?

Thanks,
BW

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom Murphy is supposed to be pretty good. :ganz

Last edited:

tealsixtysix

The best person I know of in North America for a vintage Fender refinish in a custom color is Gord Miller of GM Vintage Restorations. He's in Canada, but he has mastered the process of shipping valuable guitar parts back and forth to the US without hassle. He did my '66 Jazzmaster and *nailed* a color that even the Fender CS has had trouble matching properly (Teal Green Metallic). If you want, he'll also age the body to match the condition of your parts. (He does necks too. I've seen examples of his work and I wouldn't hesitate to hire him to do one for me, but I don't have firsthand experience.)

My advice from hard experience is this: Don't go cheap. I spent $750 to have Gord turn a bad refin into a great one. Not only does it make me much happier with the guitar, it probably added $1k of value.

ampdan

Lay's did this '64 Strat...
s6kspj.jpg

59swgm.jpg

j16dc2.jpg