• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Duane Allman Clone Pups from Wizz

Pellman73

this is an edit. first post was "thinking of taking these out"

i just did-- and I"m really psyched about the result

so as much as I wanted my hotlanta to be "correct" these pups were a little to hot for this guitar -- for me

It has been HOT HOT. like so much that you have to lay off your attack or it wants to blast your ear drums

too punchy and mid range blast for my tastes-- hard to have any subtle dynamics

I just put some regular Wizz clones in (for the first time in that guitar) and oh man... it is so good and I think I"ll leave em there.

again I wanted duane to have the right pups but I don't think I"d want to play it the way it was

this guitar is so resonant and bassy... I just think its a bad match

for a guitar that is not so much perhaps they would be killer

Last edited:

duaneflowers

TBH I'm not really sure exactly why Duane preferred the Dark Burst over the Cherry Burst, I greatly prefer the sound of the Layla/Fillmore pups over the hot ones. No telling if Duane would've eventually gone back to the Cherry Burst after awhile (or even started playing something completely different). He's been immortalized as a Les Paul player but there's no guarantee it would've been like that forever. There wasn't all that much recorded with the Dark Burst but from what is out there it is definitely brighter with a little more built-in gain (and less of those subtle dynamics)... and when you're cranking it through a pair of 50w Marshalls (packed with Vegas) the tone will be vastly different than that derived from bedroom or substantially lower volumes through 'lesser' amplificators. Playing through a Kemper both sets sound awesome to me... so Imma leave mine in for a bit... :salude

Pellman73

TBH I'm not really sure exactly why Duane preferred the Dark Burst over the Cherry Burst, I greatly prefer the sound of the Layla/Fillmore pups over the hot ones. No telling if Duane would've eventually gone back to the Cherry Burst after awhile (or even started playing something completely different). He's been immortalized as a Les Paul player but there's no guarantee it would've been like that forever. There wasn't all that much recorded with the Dark Burst but from what is out there it is definitely brighter with a little more built-in gain (and less of those subtle dynamics)... and when you're cranking it through a pair of 50w Marshalls (packed with Vegas) the tone will be vastly different than that derived from bedroom or substantially lower volumes through 'lesser' amplificators. Playing through a Kemper both sets sound awesome to me... so Imma leave mine in for a bit... :salude

Yes I’m sure you are right about the setting and the amp.

Into the Carr Mercury V— as well as the Friedman (using an attenuator or a load box). It was cool but I think for now I”m just gonna see how it plays w the regular wizzers—

Yes agree— built in gain for sure.

What do you have yours in?

duaneflowers

The 'Lantas are in a VOS Allman Sig CB and the Fillmores are in an Aged Allman Sig CB. :salude

26220389_10214282033981331_4361729451945800801_o.jpg

Pellman73

The 'Lantas are in a VOS Allman Sig CB and the Fillmores are in an Aged Allman Sig CB. :salude

26220389_10214282033981331_4361729451945800801_o.jpg

ah!

roger that!

how similar or dissimilar are the guitars would you say-- just curious (neck profile, weight, tone-- besides the obvious cosmetic diffs)

duaneflowers

ah!

roger that!

how similar or dissimilar are the guitars would you say-- just curious (neck profile, weight, tone-- besides the obvious cosmetic diffs)

Pretty close... looking at the two of them and comparing them to other models you notice subtle similarities in them (and differences from the other) that you wouldn't notice if you didn't have a couple of the same model to compare to... if that makes sense. It makes me appreciate the work that goes into selecting tops that are strikingly similar in grain patterns and density, but aesthetically quite different. :salude

little tree

Nice to meet you everyone.Finally I reached the end of this thread.I am grateful to everyone for getting new knowledge very interesting.I am looking for no sticker paf cloneI got Sigil 57 last year, but after thatWe are gathering information on further good choices.There are K & T Gold tone and IMD 57 in Japan I live in, but because it is expensive, it is a troubling situation.The sound I want is not only Duane Allman's 73312 GT or cherry sound, but also the sound of the neck of Bruce Conte GT.I was surprised that the current gibson custom bucker is the clone of Duane's cherry.Because I believed that DC resistance of no sticker paf in the first place shows a high value, it is an established theory.I have been searching for no sticker paf clone a while ago in the past few weeks and knowing Ellis LPR and Doyle paf, for example, both were low DC resistance values.Surprisingly my stereotype has collapsed away.Although it was certain that the original paf had variations in direct current resistance value and height differences.The link to paste below is the result of measurement made by gold top 53, 54, 56, 57 years examined by Japanese goodwill. Please translate. It is on the neck side that we Japanese refer to as front.It is the bridge that we call rear.http://www.geocities.co.jp/SweetHome-Skyblue/1811/gt3.htmlHaving a new discovery is a good event for life.It was surprising that there was a Centralab clone.

SlyStrat

duaneflowers: your Les Paul looks like the Peter Green Les Paul.

I've tried MANY pickups and have not been excited by any.
I just got a used Les Paul with SD Seth Lovers and like them better than most.
I think your choice of amp, speakers, and OD pedal is way more important than which pickup.
Guitar picks have a bigger change in tone than pickups unless youre doing extremes like real hot vs low output.

Also: I listen to every live Allman Brothers clip I can find. Dicky and Duane's tone NEVER sound the same on each one.
I'm guessing its mostly the way it was recorded.
So chasing tone is a big problem when all you have are recordings to judge by.

duaneflowers

Nice to meet you everyone.Finally I reached the end of this thread.I am grateful to everyone for getting new knowledge very interesting.I am looking for no sticker paf cloneI got Sigil 57 last year, but after thatWe are gathering information on further good choices.There are K & T Gold tone and IMD 57 in Japan I live in, but because it is expensive, it is a troubling situation.The sound I want is not only Duane Allman's 73312 GT or cherry sound, but also the sound of the neck of Bruce Conte GT.I was surprised that the current gibson custom bucker is the clone of Duane's cherry.Because I believed that DC resistance of no sticker paf in the first place shows a high value, it is an established theory.I have been searching for no sticker paf clone a while ago in the past few weeks and knowing Ellis LPR and Doyle paf, for example, both were low DC resistance values.Surprisingly my stereotype has collapsed away.Although it was certain that the original paf had variations in direct current resistance value and height differences.The link to paste below is the result of measurement made by gold top 53, 54, 56, 57 years examined by Japanese goodwill. Please translate. It is on the neck side that we Japanese refer to as front.It is the bridge that we call rear.http://www.geocities.co.jp/SweetHome-Skyblue/1811/gt3.htmlHaving a new discovery is a good event for life.It was surprising that there was a Centralab clone.

I have a set of K&T Gold Tones... Boogie J winds some amazing pickups. They are not EQ'd like original PAFs though, more like the Dry Zs he also made. Kunio-san as well as Mori & Sumitomo all nail the Duane Allman vibe.

I think your choice of amp, speakers, and OD pedal is way more important than which pickup.

All important pieces to the puzzle... :salude

tonyfrancis

Bruce Conte's neck pickup Goldtop tone was fantastic. That is a tone that I am constantly striving for.

little tree

I have known your name from mr. flowers before, but I am honored to have a direct response.If you can exchange in JapaneseI look forward to working with you. There are many questions.By the way, this sentence is written in Japanese and translated by google.Sumitomo came to my city the other day, but I could not go.mr.francis It is encouraging to have someone who is like you, thank you.Bruce conte and duane allman are the two big towers of the sound I'm pursuing.I was knocked out to the solo of "squib cake" when I was young. And it does not resemble anyone else's funk guitarist, how to take "time".Although these two people, Mr. conte has a difference called "all mahogany body", but is there a common point? It was the beginning of the first thing I felt.Well, I found this articleIt's a description of Dave StephensAlthough it disappeared from the web in the last few minutesYou can read it from google's cash so please search"PAF Archaeology: Digging up the History of Classic Humbucker Tone"Here he says that the early 57 paf wire is thicker than the subsequent one, the DC resistance value is large because of its wide section, and the value will be lower if there is the same number of turns than the subsequent thin one.I have to try it.For new possibilitieswizz, doyle, ellis, sdpickupsBefore I got sigil 57, I wanted to know ...

さあ、日本は二十三時です。
tokai ls290で練習を開始します!!!

little tree

I have known your name from mr. flowers before, but I am honored to have a direct response.If you can exchange in JapaneseI look forward to working with you. There are many questions.By the way, this sentence is written in Japanese and translated by google.Sumitomo came to my city the other day, but I could not go.mr.francis It is encouraging to have someone who is like you, thank you.Bruce conte and duane allman are the two big towers of the sound I'm pursuing.I was knocked out to the solo of "squib cake"
when I was young. And it does not resemble anyone else's funk guitarist, how to take "time".Although these two people, Mr. conte has a difference called "all mahogany body", but is there a common point? It was the beginning of the first thing I felt.Well, I found this articleIt's a description of Dave StephensAlthough it disappeared from the web in the last few minutesYou can read it from google's cash so please search"PAF Archaeology: Digging up the History of Classic Humbucker Tone"Here he says that the early 57 paf wire is thicker than the subsequent one, the DC resistance value is large because of its wide section, and the value will be lower if there is the same number of turns than the subsequent thin one.I have to try it.For new possibilitieswizz, doyle, ellis, sdpickupsBefore I got sigil 57, I wanted to know ...

さあ、日本は二十三時です。
tokai ls290で練習を開始します!!!

duaneflowers

I have known your name from mr. flowers before, but I am honored to have a direct response.If you can exchange in JapaneseI look forward to working with you. There are many questions.By the way, this sentence is written in Japanese and translated by google.Sumitomo came to my city the other day, but I could not go.

If I speak Japanese you will surely cry and wonder how anyone can destroy such a beautiful language so thoroughly. It's my secret talent... :spabout

Sumitomo-san is a great guy. I went to Osaka to study slide guitar with him when I first became interested in learning slide. He is a great player, a great teacher, and a really nice guy.

I have all the pickups you mention, so I'm happy to answer questions about any of them. Dave Stephens is correct about the '57 wire... as he usually is. He has forgotten more about PAFs then most people will ever know. But not for long, as rumor has it there is a new PAF book on the horizon by Mario Milan and James Finnerty that I have no doubt will become the new PAF unofficial bible. Too bad the editor is such a hoser... I believe it is getting ready to go into print as I had a chance to glimpse the final pre-production draft. It will be an amazing book... :biggrin:

AA00475Bassman

Sumitomo-san really has a killer tone I looked at some of his other videos , really the Duane thing is noodling for Sumitomo-san !

duaneflowers

Sumitomo-san really has a killer tone I looked at some of his other videos , really the Duane thing is noodling for Sumitomo-san !

Go to see Living Woods if you ever get the chance... killer tone!!! There is very little that actually does it justice on the Intewebz though...

SlyStrat

I love that video. Great tone and playing. Wish I could jam with you.
Its awesome how music unites us all.

little tree

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Times; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Hiragino Sans'; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 18.0px}p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Hiragino Sans'; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Times; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 14.0px}p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px 'Hiragino Mincho ProN'; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p6 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px 'Hiragino Mincho ProN'; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 18.0px}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}span.s2 {font: 12.0px Times; font-kerning: none}</style>Sumitomo's sound is amazing !!!
It is a discussion about the fact that the wire of 57 years was fat at the beginning of this thread
Since there were two interesting descriptions in the blog of Japanese Maestro boogie.j
I will link.

https://ameblo.jp/ktvintageguitars/page-26.html#main

"The coil that we had ordered has arrived, which is quite heavy.
Even though the form bar and the enamel are inventing in large quantities
There is a big reason for air transport from USA one after another.
It is because the same brand of the same standard also has differences depending on the lot.
If the bare gauge (no coating) is also different, the thickness of the coating also has considerable error.
I have choices on the need to use these depending on the model,
There is no choice but to stock a large amount.
Although there seems to be a direction to think that "it does not change so much if it is the same standard"
Actually there are big differences.

To be easy to understand, the big bare gauge is bright and it is easy to obtain good sound,
Small ones tend to be darker.
Thicker coatings are more likely to produce a fuller thick sound of mid- to low-
Thin one is easy to obtain a sharp sound.
I have to measure the arrived coil to get the character I think
There is no time to do this quite easily after being chased by production.
However, neglecting, the product can not get my feeling of tone.”

https://ameblo.jp/ktvintageguitars/entry-10897560514.html

"Coil diameter and resistance value

Tension which is said to be characteristic of hand winding, this is the topic of today.
I have never said that the lower the tension at winding is, the better.
However, the influence of this strength on the sound is not small,
I contemplated what to control.

First of all, the negation that is being issued as a negative argument "I will not extend coils"
There is something to say. Indeed it is up to me to call and present a novel.

A copper coil formed by "pulling out".
Copper is known for its high plasticity.
Actually putting pressure on it will grow fast enough to make you unimaginable.

Today I prepared data for speaking numerically.
Known for reddish brown coating used for Stratocaster etc.
We prepared the AWG 42 of "Heavy Form Bar" with a length of 1 m.
Measured in a state where no tension is applied at all, 7, 54 Ω
But when you apply tension on speed winding
The total length was up by 20%.
When this value was re-cut to 1000 mm and the resistance value was actually measured, it became 7.72 Ω.

For example, if you form the former with no tension (theoretically) winding 1.000 m
The pickup becomes 7.54 kΩ
It will be understood that winding with high tension results in 7.72 kΩ.

In brief explanation, the thinner the thinner the coil, the higher the resistance value.
The higher the resistance value, the harder it is to pass through the high frequency range.
Control of tension is difficult but it is an unavoidable task.
Since there is a limit on the size of the bobbin if you lower the tension unnecessarily

It is difficult to wrap the necessary amount.
It is a craft man 's technology showroom where to change the tension. "

Even in the modern era of the 21st century, there seems to be a difference due to this lot
Then, a difference appears in the DC resistance value depending on how the force is applied by the coil winding method.

Boogie j recognizes that even individual differences in paf were made by engineers at the time by intentionally making them separately.

IinvernessF7

My all time favorite Brothers' song is Blue Sky. Only a few live recordings of the song, and all after Duane had gotten the dark burst. To me, the absolute greatest solo of Duane's career was the Blue Sky solo from Stonybrook recorded September 19, 1971.

Does anyone have any information on which guitar he was playing?

Here's the recording, great solos by Duane and Dickey in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJ9lnUBBDU