• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD (finally!)- 1957 Gibson Les Paul TV Model

DEVILBAT

Whoops...wrong forum...mods please switch to the correct forum...sorry for the mistake! I got distracted...

Long story but....
This is a guitar that I've been after for at least 5 years...maybe longer.
After reconnecting with a friend who used to be our band manager in the early 1980's, she mentioned to me that she had a friend whose father had an old Gibson guitar that he was thinking of selling. He was the original owner. Guitar was in Los Angeles and I am on the other side of the country, so I told her that, yes, I'd be happy to look at it and would appreciate first shot at the guitar when he decided to sell. This was at least 10 years ago and I forgot all about it.
Forward to 5 years ago; the woman's father passed away and she was now considering selling the guitar. I made her a super fair offer but, understandably, she was reluctant to sell her fathers'
only real possession that was worth anything, especially to some stranger on the East Coast. We became FB friends and she knew where to find me.
This year, the woman decided to move from Los Angeles to Nebraska and she needed some money and had no real need or room for the instrument. I sent her a check and told her I'd pick up the guitar up in L.A. where she would leave it with my friend (the woman who was my band manager back in the day.) So, after about a year, I still hadn't gotten out to L.A. so I asked Darlene (my pal) to Fed Ex it to me. They would pack it (for a fee; shitty job) but it finally arrived.
Put it in one of my spare brown cases...when a Les Paul goes into one of my brown cases in my house, I know it's a keeper and will not become a "quick flip."
So...here it is....a super 1957 TV Model....huge comfortable rounded neck...one of the best I've played. Aggressive snarl; warm one when tone control is taken down a bit...everything someone would love in a '50s Junior. And the patina! Wow...yellowed from years of playing in smoky clubs and basements also, super cool line checking...killer!

Thank for looking! Really happy I waited for this one; patience is indeed a virtue! Now...time to rock.

The guitar had different tuners on it; exposed holes. I put on a set of double line strip tuners that I feel match the overall vibe pretty well. And they work!
Sq2heyC.jpg

k3JOpSa.jpg

QIu7h8V.jpg

G7dASpj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Sq2heyC.jpg[/img
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/3jfbWgo.jpg
dxQFwxH.jpg

zuBg8hY.jpg

Last edited:

djd100

Nice, and an interesting story?

I had a 56 Special back in the day (70's), which was refinished from TV to spray can black just prior to my getting it, and that was a real shame LOL!

Enjoy...

DEVILBAT

I usually go to Los Angeles with my girlfriend at least once a year...but I've been taking care of mom so we haven't had any vacation time for a couple of years now.
Besides, I fly United (I have points) and they are sketchy when it comes to flying guitars. I will not ever check a vintage electric guitar with United, or any other airline.
Sometimes, it's the luck of the draw. One can encounter a nasty employee or a prick of a TSA agent and you never know what's going to become of your guitar.
I've been lucky in that, when I did fly with an electric, I was allowed to carry on and stow either overhead or in the small storage closet in front of the plane. But this was years ago and I'm not taking chances now.
I've had better luck with FedEx....so I had my friend Darlene ship me the guitar. Luckily, it arrived in one piece. I'm really enjoying it and boy, what a wait it was. I've been telling friends for years that I had a line on this TV Model. Glad to have finally gotten it and in one piece!

marshall1987

Excellent score! I love those old Les Paul TVs. Had a chance to buy a near mint '57 LP TV back in 1980 and passed on it. Still kicking myself for letting that one go. :dude:

Pellman73

cool story and really cool guitar!

although I think this one qualifies for the 52-60 section doncha think?

great score and congrats

love the checking on that head stock

it looks just like as if Tom Murphy did it :)rofl)

:yah

DEVILBAT

cool story and really cool guitar!

although I think this one qualifies for the 52-60 section doncha think?

great score and congrats

love the checking on that head stock

it looks just like as if Tom Murphy did it :)rofl)

:yah

yes...I noted that mistake in the first paragraph; immediately after posting, I asked the mods to move this thread be moved to the correct section of the forum.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
yes...I noted that mistake in the first paragraph; immediately after posting, I asked the mods to move this thread be moved to the correct section of the forum.

You could email or PM them. :ganz

zhivago

God, I love TV Juniors, they just look so right!! :salude