• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: Gibson Memphis Freddie King 1960 ES-345

CAGinLA

I'd replace those MHS things with a set of Throbak Pre-T-301's! I have a set in my late 2014 `63 ES-335TDC and it sounds like a real early Sixties ES-3XX. I've played enough early sixties to know over the last 50 years.
I wish Memphis had come out with this model in 2014...

I'm seriously considering swapping the pups. These particular MHSs sound OK to me, but are definitely missing a little something on the top end. I have a set of Wizz PAFs that I can throw in it eventually.

CAGinLA

Congrats @indravayu I am about to pull the trigger ! :spabout

Thanks! I think this very well might be the best Gibson I have purchased in the past 20 years - I am incredibly happy with it.

I initially didn't love the pickups, but after tweaking my normal amp settings for it, I am more than satisfied with them right now. Maybe some day I will experiment with a boutique set, but the stock MHSs do sound excellent.

The chunky neck on this guitar is just a perfect fit for me.

Theorocks

Thanks! I think this very well might be the best Gibson I have purchased in the past 20 years - I am incredibly happy with it.

I initially didn't love the pickups, but after tweaking my normal amp settings for it, I am more than satisfied with them right now. Maybe some day I will experiment with a boutique set, but the stock MHSs do sound excellent.

The chunky neck on this guitar is just a perfect fit for me.
Good to hear....I'm glad the necks are chunky I love my R8 for that reason ...going tomorrow to try/buy a couple I cant wait :hank

Theorocks

Just scored 145 ...love it beautiful neck fit and finish ....now im just trying to figure out how going to run the stereo aspect of it ...

Last edited:

smbeatty

I just bought one of these online after playing one in-store. I joined this forum just so I could be in on this thread. The necks on these are amazing. I initially bought the 1964 reissue one from 2014, but returned it the same day because I didn't like the slim neck. Anyway, just wondering about doing the mod to mono. How big of a deal is that?

Theorocks

I just bought one of these online after playing one in-store. I joined this forum just so I could be in on this thread. The necks on these are amazing. I initially bought the 1964 reissue one from 2014, but returned it the same day because I didn't like the slim neck. Anyway, just wondering about doing the mod to mono. How big of a deal is that?
Congrats on your Freddie 345 ..what number is it ? mine is 145/200 I'm personally leaving it stock for now and using this https://www.americanloopers.com/products/in-stock-y-mono-signal-split easy and you don't need to mess with electronics and you still have the stereo option to play with

CAGinLA

It's your guitar, smbeatty, and you can certainly do as you like (I would take it to a tech to convert to mono - might be a little complicated), but would recommend keeping it stock stereo and using an ABY box, like Theorocks and I are doing.

smbeatty

Cool, thanks for the input. I’m really excited to get to know the guitar. I’ll make a final decision once I have some time to play on the actual one I get. I’m most definitely going to be using it live, so the mono mod just kind of makes sense for me as it’ll just be less hassle in the long run. I’m also considering getting a push-pull pot for an out of phase middle position option. Basically, I bought this guitar because I loved the feel and sound, not because it was a Freddie King model, even though I am a fan. I’m not sure which number I’m getting, as the dealer has a few of them. I just picked the wood grain pattern I liked the most. I’ll give more updates when I can. Thanks guys!

CAGinLA

Cool, thanks for the input. I’m really excited to get to know the guitar. I’ll make a final decision once I have some time to play on the actual one I get. I’m most definitely going to be using it live, so the mono mod just kind of makes sense for me as it’ll just be less hassle in the long run. I’m also considering getting a push-pull pot for an out of phase middle position option. Basically, I bought this guitar because I loved the feel and sound, not because it was a Freddie King model, even though I am a fan. I’m not sure which number I’m getting, as the dealer has a few of them. I just picked the wood grain pattern I liked the most. I’ll give more updates when I can. Thanks guys!

I am not an expert on wiring, but I think you will have to mod the pickups (flip magnet or convert 2 conductor wires to 4 conductor) or replace them in order to do an out of phase mod.

Definitely give an ABY box a try - you get used to it in no time at all. Other than the fact that there is a volume boost in the middle position, it basically operates the same as a Gibson with mono wiring.

As a bonus, if you have two amps (or an amp with two differently-voiced channels), you can do some interesting things with the stereo output.

smbeatty

So I got #168. It is incredible. I mean, don't-ever-want-to-put-it-down incredible. It even smells good! I guess that's the lacquer or the case. This is the best, most comfortable neck I've ever played. Couldn't be happier. If anyone who reads this is on the fence about getting one of these, if you can find a good deal - pull the trigger. This one was $3100 after some negotiating.

https://ibb.co/fE4yOw

https://ibb.co/c1LcGG

Last edited:

CAGinLA

So I got #168. It is incredible. I mean, don't-ever-want-to-put-it-down incredible. It even smells good! I guess that's the lacquer. This is the best, most comfortable neck I've ever played. Couldn't be happier. If anyone who reads this is on the fence about getting one of these, if you can find a good deal - pull the trigger. This one was $3100 after some negotiating.

https://ibb.co/fE4yOw

https://ibb.co/c1LcGG

Congrats! $3100??? Is yours used? I paid way more for mine!