• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: Gibson Memphis Freddie King 1960 ES-345

reddeluxe

Having seen, handled, and played several FK signature 345s at the Memphis factory as they were being produced, my opinion is that all of those models got a helping of extra attention and TLC, compared to the regular production models; as it should be for a limited run artist tribute series. I know there will be variations from guitar to guitar, but the build, finish, playability seem of consistently very high quality acrooss my limlted sample. I owned an original '61 345 with the first fret position fret board marker (only year they appeared), and the attention to detail of the FK instruments compared favorably to the '61. I also own a 2015 limited 1 of 50 worldwide, figured, stop tail, Cherry VOS, non Varitone, mono 345 that has the same great attention to detail as the FK. Excellent instruments IMHO.

Last edited:

takeitslow

Thanks for your replies denk and reddeluxe. It seems that the Freddie is worth the extra money... Do you think they kept they extra attention till the last one? Cause here I'm talking about one of the last...
I've also read that the 64 are great too with bigger necks than 63' but not that big as 59'... Here both are equal in weight, about 7.93lbs...
Have to make up my mind....Tough choice nevertheless cause I just started imaging the maestro on the sunburst before reading your lines...

deytookerjaabs

If the other reissues are even in the ball park they should not have a neck as big as the Freddie. IIRC the Freddie necks are fairly exacting guitar to guitar. The one on mine was huge, slightly over an inch at the 12th fret and .96/7 or so at the first fret. If spec'd to the original Freddie's 345 possibly has one of the biggest necks in vintage ES history.

Also, totally worth it, smokin' guitar.

reddeluxe

Takeitslow, I would not worry that you are looking at a guitar near the end of the limited run of 200 instruments. If anything, I think any proprietary building tweaks would have only gotten more consistent as the run went on, as the craftspeople became more familiar with producing that particular signature model. As deytookerjaabs said above, the neck shapes and specs were very consistent on the examples I played and are definitely larger/thicker in depth than the '64 RI profile. In fact, the FK necks are actually closer to a real '59 ES 345 profile, which are known to be the largest necks ever produced on 345s. You need to decide which neck shape suits your hand/playing style. My 2015 (limited to 50 made) example has a slimmer neck than the FK, but larger (similar to an authentic '64 ES 335, ala Clapton's) than the standard production 64 RI, which is similar to Gibson's regular '60's slim taper neck. Bigger is NOT necessarily better, just need to get the shape that works for you.

Last edited:

takeitslow

Thanks for your replies deytookherjaabs and again, reddeluxe.
You convinced me in giving the Freddie King a try at home. I'll let you know when she's here. Thanks again.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Two suggestions for dealing with stereo wiring. An easy way around it is to use a regular mono cable and don't plug it in all the way. You will have both pickups operating, where if you plug the mono cable in ALL the way, you will only have one pickup operating. The second option is to use your stereo cable and plug the ends into the separate channels of any two-channel amp, like a Fender Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb, and though it's not the stereo effect that Gibson intended, but it gives you EQ'ing for each pickup. I find when I run my ES-345 this way I get a volume bump when I engage both pickups, and I've never had that with a Les Paul or any non-stereo guitar. The FK is a great guitar!