The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 109 of 109
  1. #81

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    The first time I heard these guys, I thought it was was a gag. I recall WRIF radio in Detroit playing the single of a "mystery band" back 20 years ago and kept it in rotation until it was finally revealed the it was the band "Bonham" (playing tribute to Zep). It was a let down because it was too gimmicky, rumored to be a lost Zep track, and not the way Jason Bonham should have had his coming out. I thought GVF was the same deal. However, after learning GVF were home town boys that were still in high school struck a different note for me. For all of the criticism, please... Amongst contemporary musical influence, they gravitated to a guitar driven vibe that pays (obvious) tribute to you know who. To come out of the gate and capture so much attention is great for them and anyone who appreciates guitar driven music. The industry is not attracting and touting much beyond simple pop, rap, hip hop, electronica and new folk. All forms of music are wonderful, of course, but I suspect this band could inspire another coming of hard guitar music. I liken GVF to the Black Crows, who were out of step at the time, but made a great splash.

    I suspect under pro management and the right producers, they will distance themselves from their "obviousness" and carve out their own identity. They certainly have the talent. I am ready to loan that kid some of my gear, but he'll likely be able to afford his own soon. Given today's youth, should we start a "go fund me" to get the kid a burst?
    No let him emphasize the SG. I know weíre all fans of the Les Paul but he doesnít have to gravitate towards it. I agree with what youíve said though

  2. #82
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,488

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Thereís a lot of over thinking going on in this thread.

    Iíd be pretty happy if my band at 20 years old got as much attention....regardless of the pro/con.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  3. #83
    Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pure Michigan
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
    Hell yea! Justin Hawkins got chops!
    Sent you an email to your yahoo account.

  4. #84

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Gress View Post
    Sent you an email to your yahoo account.
    Hmmmm odd I havenít gotten it

  5. #85

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    check your account settings

  6. #86

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermtn View Post
    check your account settings
    Iím on my phone. Lol. I get yahoo emails regularly. Iíve checked spam folder and mail and nothing

  7. #87
    Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pure Michigan
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
    Hmmmm odd I haven’t gotten it
    Message was Darkness tickets are going fast. I got the last two Monday for Detroit show on April 13th.

  8. #88

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
    Iím on my phone. Lol. I get yahoo emails regularly. Iíve checked spam folder and mail and nothing
    Your TLPF account settings, you might have it set so that you don't receive e-mails sent from users here.

  9. #89

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermtn View Post
    Your TLPF account settings, you might have it set so that you don't receive e-mails sent from users here.
    Nope itís set to receive mail from everyone so idk what heís taking about

  10. #90

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Gress View Post
    Message was Darkness tickets are going fast. I got the last two Monday for Detroit show on April 13th.
    I bought 2 floor tix. If I canít make it Iíll sell them. But I should make it

  11. #91
    Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    7,119

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    If that is all they aspire to is to just get laid. Well then they are living the dream. From an artistic stand point, its a dead end. They have real talent but need to develop some roots that go beyond copping a single iconic band whose more relevant now than when they actually existed. The one thing that these guys lack is there is absolutely nothing cutting edge or rebellious in what they're doing. Zeppelin were outsiders, and trailblazers, deeply rooted in various music forms. As is, as sold, Greta Van Fleet is about as important to to the art form as Greta Van Susternan. Thank goodness there are still artists stretching their creative boundaries with inventive new ways in songwriting and production. But the constant rehashing of the same old same old is a death sentence to guitar driven R&R.
    This post is pretty spot on, not just for GVF.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

  12. #92
    Les Paul Forum Member StSpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Padua, Italy
    Posts
    2,050

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I don't really care about their music but I am sure glad they exist. Anything that gets new generations interested in guitar bass and drums is ok in my book.

    Some people here are reacting like these kids are taking something away from them "they're not real rockers!!!!!"....seriously? Are you hating on a bunch of kids playing the stuff they like (how good or how bad hardly matters) and getting other kids interested in the kind of music we love??? Seriously?????
    - 2006 Les Paul Historic R4 Oxblood
    - 2012 ES-330TDVB
    - 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony with B7 Bigsby

    There is NO substitute for Loudness.

  13. #93
    Les Paul Forum Member J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,071

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Sheesh give these lads a break. 99.9% of all bands compared to Led Zeppelin will fall short and have for the last ~50 years. It's tough to write a truly unique song and get radio play these days, and not every band has the talent and ambition to revolutionize the music industry. What is both truly "original" and listenable these days? It's pretty much all been done already. I'm happy to hear some new rock music on the gear we dig, even of it isn't as good as Led Zeppelin.

  14. #94

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Sheesh give these lads a break. 99.9% of all bands compared to Led Zeppelin will fall short and have for the last ~50 years. It's tough to write a truly unique song and get radio play these days, and not every band has the talent and ambition to revolutionize the music industry. What is both truly "original" and listenable these days? It's pretty much all been done already. I'm happy to hear some new rock music on the gear we dig, even of it isn't as good as Led Zeppelin.
    My band was dealing with this problem 15 years ago. There really aren't many untraveled roads left that still sound like music. We decided to just play what sounded good to us and if it sounded sort of like some other riff, so what, as long as it wasn't note for note we stopped giving a flip.

  15. #95

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Well, He broke the guitar and is holding it together with duct tape......

    1961 Les Paul.

    Go to 17min 34 sec.




  16. #96
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    15

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    20 year old kids kicking ass and making rock and roll music in 2018 and everyone wants to rain on their parade. I say good for them!

  17. #97
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,709

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    "It's a Marshall bubby. It gets loud." Ace Frehley

  18. #98
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNo.7 View Post
    Well, He broke the guitar and is holding it together with duct tape......

    1961 Les Paul.

    Go to 17min 34 sec.



    I watch this and think there is a good chance these guys...specifically the bass player, can evolve into something really good. He has an appreciation for the details and what makes the music and the tone. He listens to different influences, appears to have a drive to evolve. Nit many 22 yr olds can talk gear and influences as fluently.

  19. #99
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    111

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Lots of opinions on these guys, but the bottom line is they are loving rock 'n roll. They are making use of the opportunity...and frankly...there are ladies in the audience....seriously. You can count the ladies on one hand at most of the "guitar" shows I have been to in the last 20 years. If this is what it takes to bring rock back to the young folks, I shine them on!

  20. #100

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    Hahaha, nice. Shouldn't this be a pic of the Beach Boys playing Pet Sounds though?

  21. #101
    Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    7,119

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    there are 20 of these, right? my take on this is, don't get comfortable and play with people who write and challenge.

    cheers.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

  22. #102
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?




    good review-- the Rover-- of course!

    bottom line is every artist starts by mimicking the artists they like- and then hopefully move on to create more original art.

    I do think he is right that this kid's voice does sound like Geddy Lee too

  23. #103

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    I'll give them this much at least they are writing originals with a classic rock edge and selling out shows
    At least they play instruments, they aren't following what most kids today who think Rap(or whatever they call the crap these days) is the greatest thing in the world.

    Saw they're performance last week at Coachella, looks like the guitar player got a new SG - maybe he had the vintage LP(1962?) he was using totally refinished? He was on Rig Rundown last year and his LP was held together with duct tape! Maybe one of the old guys hooked him up with a NOS LP?

  24. #104
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I think I have one foot off this bandwagon

    I was on it!

    But, you know I watched some of their stuff from Coachella and it was just ok I thought

    Like, I was disappointed

    Looked like a high school talent show

    I mean.... they would have WON that high school talent show.

    But there were only three entries and one was doing an air guitar version of ďEvery bodyís workin for the weekendĒ and the other was a solo dance act

  25. #105

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Visually it looks like he's got the drugs part down, and his rock-n-roll suffered a little though because of it. His eyes are all hollow looking and he's barely moving, probably so he doesn't fall over, lol.

  26. #106
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    111

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I saw/listened to one of the Coachella tunes on YT and I thought the vocalist sounded like he was straining his voice. I thought way early on that perhaps their musician dad would get them a voice trainer to help him guard against permanent damage. Not that anything is permanent just yet, but I was disappointed to hear what I heard on the live recordings from the later part of this year.
    Last edited by Nick-O; 05-08-18 at 04:24 PM. Reason: italics seemed politer...(:

  27. #107
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    247

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I say go GVF. Classic rock is a million times better than Modern rock is. The fact there is a new band, let alone with youngsters, playing that kind of music is wonderful. I'd agree they are very much in the vain of Led Zeppelin. Give them time. At least it's original music. There are successful big names out today where their first album that went big was an album of COVERS of their favorite music. GVF is writing.

    I'm 29 years old and I have no interest in new music outside of a few rare exceptions. Classic rock is my life. It's why I picked up a guitar. It's changed my life. It's the best music IMO and my favorite music.

    I'd rather listen to a real rock n' roll band playing classic inspired music than to listen to Shinedown, Foo Fighters, or QOTSA or some weaksauce like that. So many bands forget the "roll" in rock n' roll. Without the roll the swagger, grove, vibe, etc are all gone and it's just meh.

    When I talk about my influences and the music I like on Facebook or when I play classic rock hits with my band live I get a ton of people coming up to me telling me how happy they are that there are people my age who actually love and breathe classic rock music and working on keeping guitar and rock and roll alive. It makes me feel good. We need more people in my age group and younger who are classic rock lovers and realize how terrible music is today. Then guitar based RNR might have a decent chance of surviving. I'm doing my part, as is Greta Van Fleet. Good on those kids for keeping this music alive!

    If young people my age don't like what I do, forget about them. I've always ran with an older crowd anyway. I'm an old soul.

  28. #108
    Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern Nowhere
    Posts
    1,386

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    I discovered these kids only a month or so ago when reading that Robert Plant himself said he was a fan. But what does he know about Led Zeppelin anyway? Rock on GVF and never mind the geezers!
    Last edited by Doc Sausage; 04-27-18 at 09:04 PM.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

  29. #109

    Re: Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonguitar1988 View Post
    I say go GVF. Classic rock is a million times better than Modern rock is. The fact there is a new band, let alone with youngsters, playing that kind of music is wonderful. I'd agree they are very much in the vain of Led Zeppelin. Give them time. At least it's original music. There are successful big names out today where their first album that went big was an album of COVERS of their favorite music. GVF is writing.

    I'm 29 years old and I have no interest in new music outside of a few rare exceptions. Classic rock is my life. It's why I picked up a guitar. It's changed my life. It's the best music IMO and my favorite music.

    I'd rather listen to a real rock n' roll band playing classic inspired music than to listen to Shinedown, Foo Fighters, or QOTSA or some weaksauce like that. So many bands forget the "roll" in rock n' roll. Without the roll the swagger, grove, vibe, etc are all gone and it's just meh.

    When I talk about my influences and the music I like on Facebook or when I play classic rock hits with my band live I get a ton of people coming up to me telling me how happy they are that there are people my age who actually love and breathe classic rock music and working on keeping guitar and rock and roll alive. It makes me feel good. We need more people in my age group and younger who are classic rock lovers and realize how terrible music is today. Then guitar based RNR might have a decent chance of surviving. I'm doing my part, as is Greta Van Fleet. Good on those kids for keeping this music alive!

    If young people my age don't like what I do, forget about them. I've always ran with an older crowd anyway. I'm an old soul.
    i agree with I. But the one band that comes to mind thatís modern classic rock is The Darkness. Phenomenal band. Highly underrated....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!