• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

mdubya

When this thread was first posted I started looking through videos of them that were posted on you tube. And after watching many live videos it seems like the kid singing is hurting his voice. Because I sing daily I'm pretty sensitive to what good vocal health sounds like, and I hear the signs of stress in his voice. He better learn to take care of those pipes before he does irreversible damage to his chords!

Someone mentioned he sounds just like Adam Sandler.

garywright

You know, I DO remember that. I'm also recalling a shot from Hendrix at Woodstock DVD when he's playing the Star Spangled Banner. There's this blonde standing in the audience, not far from the stage, who looks as if she could spit nails, as if she's thinking: "Can we just leave, already?"

I've also heard that look as someone having a mouthful of hornets

latestarter

Good on these young guys for getting out there and playing, enjoying music....hope it goes well for them.

AA00475Bassman

This band is very good at what they do ,Im not diminishing the talent in this band far from anything Im capable of doing !

rockabilly69

This band is very good at what they do ,Im not diminishing the talent in this band far from anything Im capable of doing !

Although they sound immature on quite a few clips I've heard, there as some clips where they really show some good stuff. I hope they age well!

garywright

And after watching many live videos it seems like the kid singing is hurting his voice. Because I sing daily I'm pretty sensitive to what good vocal health sounds like, and I hear the signs of stress in his voice. He better learn to take care of those pipes before he does irreversible damage to his chords!

Maybe true but that push is what's giving his vocals a rockin edge and not as boring as bland tapioca pudding

jimmi

Although they sound immature on quite a few clips I've heard, there as some clips where they really show some good stuff. I hope they age well!
Age of the members is around early 20s.

How old was Plant on LZ 1? Around 19. All the bands loved by most here were in their late teens to early 20s. You just werent listening with "old" ears or watching with "old" eyes.

rockabilly69

Age of the members is around early 20s.

How old was Plant on LZ 1? Around 19. All the bands loved by most here were in their late teens to early 20s. You just werent listening with "old" ears or watching with "old" eyes.
Robert Plant sang with serious power when he came out of the gate, this young kid is already showing signs of hurting his voice in clips I've heard. My older ears are trained quite a bit more than my younger ones were:) And I go back and watch and listen to the early Zep stuff as much as I can. But as I said, I like these guys and they show some promise. I just don't hear any depth yet in what they are doing. Nothing on the level of the groundbreaking stuff Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham, were doing! Although blues based, Led Zeppelin pulled from so many diverse influences!

jimmi

Robert Plant sang with serious power when he came out of the gate, this young kid is already showing signs of hurting his voice in clips I've heard. My older ears are trained quite a bit more than my younger ones were:) And I go back and watch and listen to the early Zep stuff as much as I can. But as I said, I like these guys and they show some promise. I just don't hear any depth yet in what they are doing. Nothing on the level of the groundbreaking stuff Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham, were doing! Although blues based, Led Zeppelin pulled from so many diverse influences!
I wasnt talking about Plants technique so much (although he did change his style after the first couple albums so makes you wonder if he was having issues).

I love LZ 1. But, it was mostly cover material (reinterpreted uniquely by them) and dirivitive from the Yardbirds catalogue and the British interpreted blues. I dont think they started to evolve into their own until the second and third album. Most bands are that way. The Beatles first albums are a lot of covers for example. Van Fleet have a sound that we recognize because of its similarity to LZ and early 70s bands. Lets give them a coupke albums. What I like is they are being successful despite swimming against the tide of The music distribution industry which reasly wants only electronicly generated music. They have little promotion and are selling their music anyway. I hope it breaks through because we may see a rock revival....we are due for another 'Nirvana' momemt in music.

rockabilly69

I wasnt talking about Plants technique so much (although he did change his style after the first couple albums so makes you wonder if he was having issues).

I love LZ 1. But, it was mostly cover material (reinterpreted uniquely by them) and dirivitive from the Yardbirds catalogue and the British interpreted blues. I dont think they started to evolve into their own until the second and third album. Most bands are that way. The Beatles first albums are a lot of covers for example. Van Fleet have a sound that we recognize because of its similarity to LZ and early 70s bands. Lets give them a coupke albums. What I like is they are being successful despite swimming against the tide of The music distribution industry which reasly wants only electronicly generated music. They have little promotion and are selling their music anyway. I hope it breaks through because we may see a rock revival....we are due for another 'Nirvana' momemt in music.

It's when they copy LZ that they hit the hardest with me, and trust me I'm rooting for them. I have tried to spread the word about them as much as possible, especially to younger fans. But if compared straight across they are light years behind the musicianship of Led Zeppelin at the same age. In GVF the bassist and drummer are both average at best. And yes, both bands are/were derivative, but Zeppelin's bag was much deeper. Jimmy Page had already built up a pile of licks even before the Yardbirds, as he was on everybody's records, and John Paul Jones was the guy to go to when you wanted the Motown feel on that side of the pond. Don't even get me started on how much of a powerhouse John Bonham was in his early 20'a. And even into the third album Plant was singing like madman as in the Immigrant Song and Celebration Day. Without Zeppelin, there would be no GVF, but you can't pinpoint any one band as the band Zeppelin built their career on, there were just too many.

But remember I want Greta Van Fleet to kick ass, just like I did when I first heard the Black Crowes rob from the Faces and Stones!

Last edited:

garywright

one of the comments on YouTube was the singer looked like Robert Plant mated with Ralph Macchio :hee

corpse

They have something alot of bands lack- alot of music lacks for that matter. You can't teach it, you can't buy it, you can't even steal it.
It's called charisma. You can be the best singer, fastest picker or have the most vintage LP in the galaxy- it's nothing without that zing.

Wizard1183

They have talent. However I'm not a fan of the "zeppelin knockoff" and they could use another singer? Idk, I'm happy they are there doing it cause they sound better than anything I've heard new lately? But not exactly very original. Perhaps they'll get better?

jbzoso2002

Hats off to these guys for getting out there and doing there thing.

But not impressed at all.

Jimmy

corpse

While we are all looking to be impressed and inspired let's not forget to have fun- that's what this is.

Guitar Whiskey

I'm enjoying them. It's something new! When's the last time Zepellin or Page for that matter did anything new. For me, I love the oldies as much as the next guy but at some point it refreshing to see progression; especially in rock which needs a good shot of new blood. Plus I dig his guitar; I'm a fan of vintage SG's.

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I think they’re good. But it’s a bit obvious and too close to being a tribute. In one video when the singer has his hand on his hips and then makes that I’m a little tea cup Percy move, I half expected a “ Does anybody remember laughter?” moment.

Last edited:

jimmi

I think they’re good. But it’s a bit obvious and too close to being a tribute. In one video when the singer has his hand on his hips and then makes that I’m a little tea cup Percy move, I half expected a “ Does anybody remember laughter?” moment.
I like where they are coming from but want to see them go somewhere. I dint mind that they sound like they are copying at this early point. Lots of bands early in their development are similar. I listened to their album and there are times I also hear early Getty Lee. Eventually he will develop his own style.

Image wise, the singer needs to grow his hair out or something. I usually dont get caught up in how bands look but, while I like their sound, they look like a band at a highschool talent show.

Last edited: