• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

garywright

God...some of you guys are fucking harsh. In this day of Thirty Seconds to Mars, 5 Seconds of Summer and every other pop sensation clone who won't have more than 15 minutes of fame, there comes a group of kids paying homage to the kind of music that doesn't get made any more. It's so refreshing to see guys that age playing vintage instruments with a vintage sound. I for one would give my left nut to be doing that right now. I love Led Zeppelin. But they're not making music anywhere else but my turntable. I truly enjoy listening to what these kids have done and are looking forward to seeing what else they accomplish. :peace2

true dat jmd ..and btw ..this thread is about GVF ..not one who needs the cheeseburgers that it looks like the other one ate ..or any other bands ..why shoot 'em down ?

Flat-Foot

I respect this chick more because she's Original.

GVF seems they're trying to be something they're not which seems dis-ingenuous.

It also seems cart before the horse for a band with no album to be Touring.

Have you paid attention to the music business in the last 15 years? Albums don't make money, touring does. They have generated a ton of heat with their EPs and the fact that they are touring like maniacs. They are doing it right. BE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUNG BANDS MAKING ROCK AND ROLL

Mr. Big

My son (20) and I are heading to the Austin Music Festival in October...GVF is on the billing Friday.
Looking forward to seeing them live, my son is even more excited!!

Blackjack30

Have you paid attention to the music business in the last 15 years? Albums don't make money, touring does. They have generated a ton of heat with their EPs and the fact that they are touring like maniacs. They are doing it right. BE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUNG BANDS MAKING ROCK AND ROLL
Sorry man, gotta be truthful GVF music is just kinda weird. Maybe if i hadn't grown up with so many great bands i wouldn't know any different.

If you were about to touch the 3rd Rail and get killed you'd want me to warn you wouldn't you.

GVF is the 3rd Rail.

FWIW im sure they think they're the Ultimate Rock Band.

Like i said they dont even have an album released or recorded, putting them on Tour seems cart before the Horse.

There are no 1/2 measures to success.

marshall1987

Sorry man, gotta be truthful GVF music is just kinda weird. Maybe if i hadn't grown up with so many great bands i wouldn't know any different.

If you were about to touch the 3rd Rail and get killed you'd want me to warn you wouldn't you.

GVF is the 3rd Rail.

FWIW im sure they think they're the Ultimate Rock Band.

Like i said they dont even have an album released or recorded, putting them on Tour seems cart before the Horse.

There are no 1/2 measures to success.

GVF has one full length album last time I checked iTunes. I give them an A for effort, but a C- for originality and talent.

corpse

I think it was pretty common in the 70's to work the bugs out on new material live before recording it. And like has been said, money is all made on the road nowadays.

Blackjack30

GVF has one full length album last time I checked iTunes. I give them an A for effort, but a C- for originality and talent.
2 Singles is all they had. Maybe they have a Live release going on. They've done no Studio work. They lost the first Drummer earlier this year. They canceled 2 sold out shows here earlier this year. IDK if anyone got refunds. When tickets went on sale for the third show the ticket prices Tripled after the first hour for the shitty seats. It was a total scam.
They are as bad as old Guns & Roses for not showing up. At least nowdays Guns shows up.

Like most music after 1990' i want nothing to do with this ...

KS 5150

2 Singles is all they had. Maybe they have a Live release going on. They've done no Studio work. They lost the first Drummer earlier this year. They canceled 2 sold out shows here earlier this year. IDK if anyone got refunds. When tickets went on sale for the third show the ticket prices Tripled after the first hour for the shitty seats. It was a total scam.
They are as bad as old Guns & Roses for not showing up. At least nowdays Guns shows up.

Like most music after 1990' i want nothing to do with this ...

They've put out two EP's & a single. Total of 9 songs, all studio, no live. They switched drummers back in 2013. Maybe get your facts straight before trashing them. The world needs less haters, not more.

Blackjack30

They've put out two EP's & a single. Total of 9 songs, all studio, no live. They switched drummers back in 2013. Maybe get your facts straight before trashing them. The world needs less haters, not more.

http://loudwire.com/greta-van-fleet-cancel-panorama-festival-drummer-injury/

<g-img style="display: block;"></g-img>

An extended play record, often referred to as an EP, is a musical recording that contains more tracks than a single, but is usually unqualified as an album or LP. EPs generally do not contain as many tracks as albums, and are considered "less expensive and time-consuming" for an artist to produce than an album.

Extended play - Wikipedia

THEY'RE JUST LIKE LED ZEPPLIN ....:bigal

<g-img style="display: block;"></g-img>

An extended play record, often referred to as an EP, is a musical recording that contains more tracks than a single, but is usually unqualified as an album or LP. EPs generally do not contain as many tracks as albums, and are considered "less expensive and time-consuming" fo

KS 5150

Wow, they cancelled a show because their drummer got injured...exactly the same as losing him, as you said. Also, you said "They've done no studio work".....I believe releasing 9 tracks counts as studio work. Look, I get it, you hate them, and wish you had Jimmy Page's new solo album to listen to instead.....It's really your loss. My point was there are so many naysayers (like yourself) who would rather tear artists down instead of supporting them. Please post a clip of your masterpiece that is so much better than anything GVF has done....I'll wait :peace2

Last edited:

Blackjack30

Wow, they cancelled a show because their drummer got injured...exactly the same as losing him, as you said. Also, you said "They've done no studio work".....I believe releasing 9 tracks counts as studio work. Look, I get it, you hate them, and wish you had Jimmy Page's new solo album to listen to instead.....It's really your loss. My point was there are so many naysayers (like yourself) who would rather tear artists down instead of supporting them. Please post a clip of your masterpiece that is so much better than anything GVF has done....I'll wait :peace2

29e92y.jpg

"Hate" isn't in my DNA bro. Having an "opinion" about music is as individual as the color of our Hair.

The music isnt really that bad but the singer looks & sounds like Lesbian. Just not my thing man.

Im not "anti greta" im just "Pro something else".

KS 5150

All good. I'm not comparing GVF to LZ either, believe me. They are not in the same league. My point was that they shouldn't be ravaged just because they sound somewhat similar. There will never be another Zeppelin, IMO. I just liked the fact that a new band came out, appreciate vintage guitars and are trying to play rock n' roll in a world of rap, EDM, boy bands etc. That was all. I totally respect your right to not be a fan. Music is always subjective & up to the beholder. Have a great Sunday!

marshall1987

All good. I'm not comparing GVF to LZ either, believe me. They are not in the same league. My point was that they shouldn't be ravaged just because they sound somewhat similar. There will never be another Zeppelin, IMO. I just liked the fact that a new band came out, appreciate vintage guitars and are trying to play rock n' roll in a world of rap, EDM, boy bands etc. That was all. I totally respect your right to not be a fan. Music is always subjective & up to the beholder. Have a great Sunday!

See...here is the problem many folks have with these comparisons to Led Zeppelin. IMO Greta VF doesn't even remotely "sound somewhat similar".

The lineup which includes a shrieking young adolescent singer, and a fledgling, wet-behind-the-ears, guitar slinger, banging out loud open string chords, doesn't even get you in the parking lot. Just curious, did GVF ever pay their dues by slogging away in the bars before "breaking out"?

You want to look for an example of a top rock singer, look no further than Freddy Mercury. Sadly he has passed away. Presently, Joe Bonamassa is the "torch bearer" in the long lineage of top blues-rock guitar players.

Eventually, this band may develop, but they have a long road ahead.

Cliff Gress

According to Wiki, Plant gave them a thumbs up. He must like that cocked elbow move.

Paid dues? Frankenmuth MI is not tough country. LOL.

talpa

Love it! He's got that SG/LP going into the Marshall Astoria! I think it's a "Astoria Dual" which is a great amp!! Mostly PTP but uses KT-66's and a GZ34. the KT-66's are "cathode biased". I have one of the "Custom" models! These kick ass and I wish more folks were hip to them as it's a model that needs to stay in the Marshall line.

DB - would that be similar to popping some KT66's in a tube rec'd Germino Club-40 ie. if the Astoria is a Lead or Bass circuit design or something else ? - love these young guys holding up the 60's freak flag.

Classic

Just heard GVF playing When Curtains fall. There is no way you can say they aren’t heavily influenced by LZ. The vocals on that are close to Plant’s in both styling and phrasing. The guitar is a cross between LZ and AC/DC. When I first heard it I wondered if Page and Plant had bowed to the pressure. The guitar isn’t quite as flamboyant as Page but it’s heavily rooted in his style and phrasing.

https://youtu.be/86_vnQc1oBE

grimlyflick

I saw these guys last night and they put on a good show for sure.

They play well, the tunes are cool, who cares if they sound like LZ, it’s all good fun.

As far a saving rock and being the next big thing, even if some consider them not to be the real deal, if they inspire a new generation to pick up in instrument then it’s all good.
:salude